Dedicated Server - Best for Engines?

Well other then this being the first time stepping out of the box to ask a very important question for myself.

What would you others suggest for a MMoRPG forum if you have members that range in the 1500's who log on and are active daily. Would a Dedicated Server be the choice or a smaller VPS.

Dedicated Servers highly powerful and very roomie. Full root access on almost all levels. Installing lets say a engine to the Server and maybe in another bin a linux script for hosting virtual games would that even be possible or would the server only be setup to handle something as a Web Based Forum - WHMCS Panels and so further?

Small questions that I could have found out on my own using Google I suppose. But why waste that time when you nice people have the experience that a machine doesn't. Any suggestions on this would be very nice and quick and promptly.

I'm not asking for spec's or anything of the such. But the common ideal suggestion on weather or not a Dedicated Server can support a engine or linux app for Virtual Hosting IE: Gaming Servers.

Thank you for Reading.
    Linux_Kid87

In my opinion any half decent mmorpg would need its own dedicated server(s).
    Sure, you can host 100 games with no traffic on shared accounts, but once a game becomes active it will start hitting the web server and the db server.
    Ultimately it depends on the kind of activity the users perform on the game, but my guess is that a VPS won't cut it for you, especially if your intention is to grow the userbase of your game.

Game is full of Graphic's. Objects, Quest, Even as a Mmorpg it offers a a lot such as minecraft would or any of the other types of games for MMO's but taking it past it.

Thank you for your suggestion. I hope I make the correct choice on this.

You can start on a VPS and move to a dedicated server as soon as your users start complaining about lag
    In my case it took a month or two before the owner of the server told me that my shared account was taking too much CPU, so I moved from a $15/mo shared account to something that was $100/mo (i think)
    You have to decide based on how many users you have (is the game live yet?), how does the server respond when you have users online, doing their thing etc.

Are you just hosting a forum, or plan on hosting actual game content?

If you're hosting game content, start on a dedicated, a VPS might run into CPU issues quick.
    madgenius.com - Corp.
    Web Hosting, Cloud VPS, and Dedicated Solutions since 1998
    Offering Windows, and Linux OS's

Forums and a Game Content. the game is currently hosted from a persons Personal computer using a dreamDaemon app. Going to need to transfer it into a linux app and expend it. But a lot of the dedi's I've seen are setup for web based only. The Web based forums I have setup for RPG's is a bit lagged as it is with a client rate of 113 - 280 players daily. The forums even have graphic, and loadable content as a MMO would have.

Alright, well thank you for your support in answering those questions.
    ██ J.Mike Duff -http://www.cheetahhost.net
    ██ Dedicated/Shared Hosting/Reseller Hosting
    ██ Web Hosting, Money Back Guarantee! 100% Uptime Guaranteed! 24x7 online Support.
    ██ Gone Green 100% Powered Source CheetahHost LLC.,

Quote Originally Posted by Linux_Kid_87 View Post
    But a lot of the dedi's I've seen are setup for web based only.
    That is all about how you configure them. Any dedicated server should include root access meaning you can set it up however you want. If you don't get a control panel a few "rpm -e" commands will get you back to a plain server if there is anything.

Generally you can get a VPS cheaper then a dedicated server, but then you also are generally sharing resources. If you go dedicated you get your own and share with nobody so you know exactly what you will get. It sounds like you will be getting a decent amount of traffic so you probably want to lean towards a dedicated.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service