Dedicated server with GPU

I am interested in acquiring a dedicated server (~ i3, 4gb ram) that requires a 3D video card.
    The server would have a windows application that would generate some swf's, and for that it requires GPU rather than CPU.
    The GPU itself would cost something between $150-$300, so the server is not required for simulating the Big Bang. I am also willing to pay for the card myself, so that it does not burden the provider.
    My current provider, while helpful, is requesting roughly $200/month on top of what it is selling the standard i3 for, but I just do not feel like $200/mo is a fair price for a $150 gpu, even with the extra U it requires in the rack.
    Currently my options are to colocate (and I do not really feel like doing that just yet), or find either a GPU hosting solution, or a company that is willing to customize one of their standard servers (for a more reasonable monthly fee)
    I would appreciate any pointers in the right direction.
    Thanks.

unless the addition of GPU making the system spike with extra power usage , at least the cost of gpu paid upfront should not be increasing the actual server cost.

how much bandwidth do you need

I do not expect any special bandwidth requirements, at least not in the first phase of the project. So whatever the typical configurations offer would be more than enough.
    I am guesstimating 100-500GB/month.

Try http://balticservers.com/ - they have i3 servers in desktop cases which should accommodate a GPU. They are very helpful with custom requests and I read some posts about them allowing a customer to install their own hardware in dedicated boxes.

Thanks for the link, I am hoping that I will find a server in USA, rather than in Europe.

Is asking for a dedicated server, with a GPU, such an unusual request that it is unheard of?

Please be patient it takes time getting updates from the suppliers on the matter.

I cant imagine what is the specific requirement that you will be using the GPU??
    i3 already have intel GPU onboard.

I have not really heard of CPU's that have GPU's onboard. If you mean that the MB would have an onboard GPU, I guess it is up to the MB, not the i3 itself. Anyway, i3 was just an example, meaning that the CPU does not have to be anything special, just enough to carry Windows Server 2008 without gasping for air.

The i3 actually has an onboard GPU @ 733MHz, moreover some boards have a videocard built in. So you can actually purchase a standard i3 as oppose to a custom built one with a larger chasis and special GPU card installed.

Thanks, I will check the specs of the GPU, to see if it is compatible with the requirements of the application that needs to run.
    In the meanwhile I am still waiting for suggestions regarding custom built servers, with a GPU card

maybe it will be used for calculating/unlocking mobile phones

The GPU is used for some OpenGl rendering, not for unlocking anything.
    It needs to support OpenGL 3.0 and as far as I can see the i3 gpu supports OpenGl 2.1

What kind of video card are you planning to use?
    A $300 video card could easily add up to 300W of power usage. Such a card would translate into a dramatically increased power consumption (which may exceed the usual 1-2 Amps allocated), the need of a 500W+ power supply (which is rather uncommon and expensive (especially for a rackmount chassis)), proper cooling and a chassis that may accommodate it (2U, really?). Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by WootWoot View Post
    A $300 video card could easily add up to 300W of power usage. Such a card would translate into a dramatically increased power consumption (which may exceed the usual 1-2 Amps allocated), the need of a 500W+ power supply (which is rather uncommon and expensive (especially for a rackmount chassis)), proper cooling and a chassis that may accommodate it (2U, really?)
    Right on. In our tests, an NVIDIA GTX580 card pulls about 30W idle, and 350W under full load (we're using it for number crunching with CUDA). It requires 42 Amps @ 12V, which only high quality power supplies can provide. Our prototype is in a desktop case, because there is no way we can fit it into a 1U case (it's 2 PCI slots tall). So yeah, a 2-U enclosure with 750W+ PS is in order. I'd expect higher monthly charge for a system like that. $200 doesn't seem too crazy.
    Pings <1 ms, Unlimited Transfer, Lowest Price: http://localhost/

Quote Originally Posted by avh_ View Post
    The GPU is used for some OpenGl rendering, not for unlocking anything.
    It needs to support OpenGL 3.0 and as far as I can see the i3 gpu supports OpenGl 2.1
    i have read somewhere at gsmhosting that they use it for calculating codes to unlock phones

Quote Originally Posted by WootWoot View Post
    What kind of video card are you planning to use?
    A $300 video card could easily add up to 300W of power usage. Such a card would translate into a dramatically increased power consumption (which may exceed the usual 1-2 Amps allocated), the need of a 500W+ power supply (which is rather uncommon and expensive (especially for a rackmount chassis)), proper cooling and a chassis that may accommodate it (2U, really?). Good luck!
    Something like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130625

As mentioned, it does not have to be a high end card, it just needs to match some requirements and do its job.

Quote Originally Posted by luki View Post
    Right on. In our tests, an NVIDIA GTX580 card pulls about 30W idle, and 350W under full load (we're using it for number crunching with CUDA). It requires 42 Amps @ 12V, which only high quality power supplies can provide. Our prototype is in a desktop case, because there is no way we can fit it into a 1U case (it's 2 PCI slots tall). So yeah, a 2-U enclosure with 750W+ PS is in order. I'd expect higher monthly charge for a system like that. $200 doesn't seem too crazy.
    GTX580 seems to be the latest nvidia creation. Their specs suggest a PSU of minimum 600W.
    For GTX 550 Ti, they suggest a PSU of 400W.

GPU according to your requirments (OpenGL 3.0) should be cost about $20 monthly.
    GTX 550 provides OpenGL 4.1.