Question Trying to find a cheap host for a fraternity that allows a lot of e-mails to be sent

I've been hosting my fraternity's website on my own dedicated server for the past 2 years, but now that I am graduating, I need to move the site onto a new host. The site obviously doesn't get much traffic, so a cheap hosting plan of just a few dollars a month is more than enough. However, the reason I just didn't host the site on something like GoDaddy is because they capped e-mails at a very low number.

The main use of the site is to send mass e-mails out to all members of the fraternity. We have around 150 members, and send anywhere from 3-10 e-mails to all of those members each week.

I've been looking for a cheap hosting solution that will work for this but have come up empty handed so far. Any suggestions?

That's not really a lot of emails. You should be able to get by with a decent shared hosting account. look in the offers section here or you could go with one of the big hosting companies if it feels safer.

Congrats on your graduation!!
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

150 messages at a time is pretty trivial, really. There are plenty of hosts who - unlike GoDaddy, HostGator, et cetera - don't arbitrarily cap the number of e-mails you can send. Find a couple of hosts that look attractive to you and e-mail them to ask about their policy.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

Quote Originally Posted by Ankheg View Post
    150 messages at a time is pretty trivial, really. There are plenty of hosts who - unlike GoDaddy, HostGator, et cetera - don't arbitrarily cap the number of e-mails you can send. Find a couple of hosts that look attractive to you and e-mail them to ask about their policy.
    I suppose that each decent web hosting service provider cares about activity on the servers. If that is something what can drive only troubles - of course there will be investigation regarding such accounts.

Your requirements is not a lot for sending out emails, and as people above has said a lot of companies will easily offer this in their shared packages.

Do you have a budget monthly (I know cheap but whats the max you can go to)? Also are you looking for US based or UK etc hosting?

Hhhmmm...

College students? Fraternities?

It seems most of the larger social networking operations were developed with this market in mind.

Going for a Dedi right off the back for something in which you said handles would be over doing it. As the above people have stated. Shared Hosting or a Reseller would be what your looking for.

Although find a host who guarantees their product and has a good amount of services for your dollar. Its always good to find a host with 24 support too! You should be able to find what you're are looking for on these forums. Making sure that whatever choice you make you always read the terms and policy of each paragraph and always ask questions if you do not understand what your getting.

The main use of the site is to send mass e-mails out to all members of the fraternity. We have around 150 members, and send anywhere from 3-10 e-mails to all of those members each week.
    3-10 emails to all of your members as you have stated above. With 150 members would suggest right there to a Shared Hosting until you're sure of moving up.
    ██ J.Mike Duff -http://www.cheetahhost.net
    ██ Dedicated/Shared Hosting/Reseller Hosting
    ██ Web Hosting, Money Back Guarantee! 100% Uptime Guaranteed! 24x7 online Support.
    ██ Gone Green 100% Powered Source CheetahHost LLC.,

You might consider going with one of the MailChimp free accounts, up to 1,000 emails a month (or is it 2,000 now?) Then, you can host your frat site with any provider.

The problem with any shared hosting is that a mail list creates problems. One person reports one of the emails as "spam" and the server can find itself on blacklists. It can take days to get off of the blacklist, and in the meantime, all the users on that server have trouble sending email to their friends on AOL, or don't get emails delivered to them.

Sorry, I didn't provide enough detail and wasn't very clear. It is for US traffic. Also, I wasn't saying I was using a dedicated server just for this site, I was just hosting it on the dedicated I use for other sites since it wasn't taking up any space.

A lot of these big hosting sites that I've looked at (I looked at many more than just GoDaddy, that was just an example) have unlimited e-mail accounts, but often have limits of around 1000 e-mails per month, or won't allow you to send to more than 100 people at once, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by schooglepets View Post
    Sorry, I didn't provide enough detail and wasn't very clear. It is for US traffic. Also, I wasn't saying I was using a dedicated server just for this site, I was just hosting it on the dedicated I use for other sites since it wasn't taking up any space.

A lot of these big hosting sites that I've looked at (I looked at many more than just GoDaddy, that was just an example) have unlimited e-mail accounts, but often have limits of around 1000 e-mails per month, or won't allow you to send to more than 100 people at once, etc.
    Most of the smaller hosts that are here will have a limit closer to 300 per HOUR, intended to stop mass mailing of thousands per hour. But, that is "configurable" (I have one customer with a 3,500 member mailing list, so with his promise to send email only at off hours and with advance notice, I have him set for "unlimited" emails per hour).

The limits should be buried in the Terms of Service, or you may have to ask the potential hosts after you have made your "short list" of hosts you like.