Question Moving domains to other openSRS, or another registrar

We have some domains under Tucows/openSRS that were registered through 2 companies, one of them owned by EIG Hosting (Endurance International Group).

Some days ago, I've registered a new one, and when I saw its details (after bought) this new domain is registered under FastDomain.com. I've contacted the support and they'll move it for free to Tucows/openSRS ASAP, but ALL the new domains of EIG Hosting companies will "go under FastDomain".

I particularly like Tucows/openSRS, and I can manage domains on my own. If needed, I can enable Domain Privacy avoiding spammers, and other activities, I can do it and other things ( https://manage.opensrs.net/ ). So, if possible, I'd like to keep these addesses there...

Anyway, I'm about to move these 17 domains out of those 2 hosting companies, and I saw this promotion:

WHT - Gossimer Welcomes 2011 With Domain Transfer-In Promotion
    Domain Transfer

1. Does someone one know something about this promo and company?

2. What are your advices about them?

3. If possible, I wouldn't like move away from openSRS, but I know their costs are becomming more and more high for resellers. Do you know a company that still works with them I could trust, and that have good prices? (I've already been in their "referral" link, but didn't find a company with costs under $15, which we would not like to pay).

4. If you don't, do you know a company (I could trust) with good prices that I'm allowed to enable domain privacy at NO cost, and manage the domains with no intervention, even if I need to move from openSRS? I should be allowed to configure everything without "their" intervention, as I don't feel confortable working with a company that seems to "own" our domains.

Thanks,

I don't know anything about this company. OpenSRS is a reliable company and I didn't see their pricing going up. Keep your account with them. Unlike many other domain registrars they do not require high deposit.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

Smile

Do you mean we should open a openSRS reseller account?

And yes, OpenSRS is a reliable company, and we know it by our own experience. I'd love to keep the domains at Tucows/openSRS. The problem is actually with our current openSRS reseller, as we are used to keep most of the domains under their reseller account.

This is an EIG Hosting company, and now they are registering new domains just with FastDomain.com, and not openSRS anymore. So we'll need to move away.

As pricing is also a concern, and we would not like to to pay more than $ 15 per new domain / year, we are also looking for alternatives, and these could also be another openSRS reseller considering that this reseller will provide us access to https://manage.opensrs.net/ where we can manage the "things".

We do have some other ( ~15 ) domains at another registrar, which we are considering to leave, so we can manage all the domains through a single point/website. So, this move can be of around 30 to 35 domains - And that's why price is a concern right now.

Considering these facts we still are not so sure about what to do.

Enom has some pretty decent reseller and retail accounts which you can get through hosts/software companies which work in the hosting industry.
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

I saw many people saying that It'd worth much more to go with NameCheap.com (Enom reseller) instead of with Enom, due to prices and support. I don't have any experience with both my self.

Would it worth to sign up for a simple account at NameCheap and move these domains into there?

As far I know, they provide Whoisguard for ~$2 or $3/year. Anyway this is not a matter. My main concerns is related to autonomy, as I've said I don't feel comfortable if I need a company to do this or that thing every time we need a minor or major change - And I have this autonomy by accessing https://manage.opensrs.net/ (by the way, Privacy is free at openSRS).

I don't know how the things use to work with NameCheap.com, if it is comparable with openSRS or not.

What do you think?
    Is it comparable? Would it worth?
    Will it work for me considering what I've told until now?

Thanks,
    Last edited by henrique-s; 04-14-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Including an info about free privacy at openSRS

Quote Originally Posted by henrique-s View Post
    1. Does someone one know something about this promo and company?
    Gossimer is a reseller for Directi.

http://www.gossimer.com/content.php?...omainagreement

(You can modify this link to see who the accredited registrar is behind any Logicboxes site)

I suppose there are some accredited domain name registrars over there. Deal with registrars - do not deal with resellers.
    Good luck.

I don't think namecheap would be a good choice for you as their PrivacyProtect feature is only included for 1 year and will cost extra beyond that time.

With about 30 domains which you are estimating, it could make sense to signup directly for a openSRS reseller account. Beeing under a reseller is always a bit risky, if they go out of business you may get problems getting your domains back.

If you are considering leaving openSRS, I would recommend you take a look at the ICANN Registrar UK2 (www.resell.biz) as they offer low rates and free whois privacy protection.

@HostColor
    Do you mean we should open a openSRS reseller account like "petzsch" advised? If so, do you, or someone know which is the price to renew a domain with them if I get this account?

@Sheps
    Thank you!

@Techno
    By accessing Gossimer website, I didn't see their chat/support online yesterday, so I could not have some questions answered. Since I'm not sure about the risks involved (flexibility, company going out of business, etc.), maybe it'd worth have a try with them at a later stage.

@SiberForum
    I agree with you, but money is a concern for this and for the next month. So the options are a bit restricted, unfortunately.

@petzsch
    Yes petzsch, that's what I'd like to do, and I'm quite sure we're going to do it within some months, but now we need an immediate action. And thanks for the www.resell.biz advice, I've talked to them right now. I'm going to further study the company.

By the way, there is something I didn't understand about openSRS resellers and resellers account:

Does it have any cost to move these domain that are already under an openSRS reseller account to another account? (E.g. I bought domains with company X that is an openSRS reseller, and now I move to Y, which is also an openSRS reseller.

The above question is something I really don't understand, because, let's take NameCheap as an example - They seems to keep a promotion which someone with 50+ domains pays only some cents to renew these domains. So I don't understand what are the costs involved to any reseller account when it comes to renew a domain.

You can see it here.
    Their blog here.
    And their coupons site.

Namecheap has custom/improved pricing for customers with more than 50 domains
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

Does it have any cost to move these domain that are already under an openSRS reseller account to another account?
    Internal transfers are free of charge and do not lead to a renewal of your domain. But the process is kind of a pain:

log into the reseller web interface (RWI), click "Transfer Managment", click "Push Domain Settings" and add the username of the reseller from whom you want to get a domain pushed to this list. And than let the other reseller push the domain to your reseller username. If you need more help on this, consult http://forums.opensrs.com

The above question is something I really don't understand, because, let's take NameCheap as an example - They seems to keep a promotion which someone with 50+ domains pays only some cents to renew these domains. So I don't understand what are the costs involved to any reseller account when it comes to renew a domain.
    OpenSRS has an intresting overview of registry prices. maybe worth a look: http://opensrs.com/site/services/domains/pricing

The openSRS forums may also be a good point to find another openSRS reseller to assist you. I am on the openHRS platform through the registrar resellone.net ... prices are better than openSRS but doesn't have whois privacy and only a limited amout of TLDs.

@petzsch
    Thanks for clarifying!

Another point is, I didn't find it, but is there a way to create a FREE account at OpenSRS so I can Push our Domains and manage them myself, so I can get rid of current (ex)resellers, considering that they are not going to work with Tucows/OpenSRS anymore?

I mean, like we can do at NameCheap.
    I've just signed up for a free account there and bought a domain to have a try. Is there a ways to proceed this manner at OpenSRS?

I'm asking because we're not going to sell domains, but we may need to register some other address, and I would like it to be done with OpenSRS/Tucows.
    Last edited by henrique-s; 04-15-2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Correcting some text

Someone?

Another point is, I didn't find it, but is there a way to create a FREE account at OpenSRS
    Someone?
    OpenSRS is a reseller program. You need to become a reseller or register through a reseller.

Maybe it is possible to have those openSRS reseller domains pushed to a hover.com account (Tucows enduser brand), you may wanna check with the hover support. I am not sure how they handle those incidents where they are more or less stealing business from their reseller customers. Situation would be different if a reseller is going out of business and customer domains where in danger.

why you want to leave opensrs. As per my knowledge opesrs is good service provider and their plans are also lucrative.

I wouldn't like to
    I'm going to contact the Hover.com as "petzsch" told.
    I'm going to do it next week.

eNom has a good customer support and their history is also good. Their prices are also competitive.