websitebuilderintuit.com- any good? [Threads merged]

I've been looking at webhost providers, and Intuit seems to offer the best deal at $180/year... I don't want cheap if the site is going to be unmanaged and unstable. -Does anyone have experience with Intuit's webhosting?

Site doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by webron View Post
    I've been looking at webhost providers, and Intuit seems to offer the best deal at $180/year... I don't want cheap if the site is going to be unmanaged and unstable. -Does anyone have experience with Intuit's webhosting?
    When you say the best deal, do you mean by price alone? If so, I am sure that there are cheaper options out there to pay less than $180 per year. Of course, lots of other aspects go into what makes a good deal: stability, support, features (site builders, webmail, etc).

Let us know what is important to you and we can be more specific with our answers about Intuit and other options you might want to consider.
    Scott Swezey
    TCL Fasteners, Inc.
    Automotive fasteners for collision shops.

Intuit's product is more of an online site builder with hosting tacked on, rather than just a web host. Checking their site, it says the sites are powered by Homestead, so you could do some research on them if you need Intuit's site building features but want to find out more about the actual hosting provider.

I'm not very familiar with intuit, however if you do not mind me asking, what attracted you to that particular company? Is it just the site builder? Keep in mind that just about every reputable web host offers some type of free site builder with their web hosting, so I wouldn't let that be the sole reason why you sign-up with a provider. Also, $180.00 per year is a little steep for shared web hosting.
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    ...$180.00 per year is a little steep for shared web hosting.
    Exactly my thoughts... unless its Godaddy hehe

www.intuit.com

Has anybody had experience with Intuit as a webhost? You can check out what they offer at: www.intuit.com -Their web services link. At $20/month for their Gold option, I think that's pretty good for what you get, considering they're probably a lot more reliable than the cheap-cheap webhost providers. But if anybody's had personal experience with them, I'd really like to hear from you. Please no advice on "better deals"; I'm just interested in this provider for now, thanks.

As far as looking at providers, I never recommend going with providers that do huge ranges of things such as what intuit does. I have heard both good and bad things about them however.

Some good things I've heard were their uptime and customer support, but some bad things were slow server speeds, weird permissions issues, and errors within PHP.
    Stream101 | Affordable Media Solutions
    Shared cPanel® Web Hosting | WordPress Hosting | Premium Stream Hosting
    TOLL-FREE: (616) 277-7280 | 30 Day NO QUESTIONS Money-Back Guarantee
    100% Cogent Free Network | CloudLinux OS | Tier 1 Bandwidth | Grand Rapids, MI

Are you an experienced web designer? Will you require PHP/ASP? If your answer to these questions is yes, I'd suggest not to go with Homestead.

It's great for inexperienced folks... especially for small business owners who don't have time or money to have a GREAT site up & running...

"Some good things I've heard were their uptime and customer support, but some bad things were slow server speeds, weird permissions issues, and errors within PHP"

I use Homestead and I'd pretty much agree with this gentleman's statement... if you are new and do not need PHP (which is not and will not be supported), I'd suggest Homestead.

I love the fact that the agents are US based... and they are VERY nice...

I hate the fact that I use custom code and cannot use PHP to redirect my non-www URL to www URL...

Overall, I like Homestead... I know I won't have issues with important things like reliability etc.

Oh, BTW, I understand your concern here:
    "As far as looking at providers, I never recommend going with providers that do huge ranges of things such as what intuit does. "

The thing is, Intuit does not do the webhosting... it's Homestead that does that... Intuit acquired Homestead...

Thanks for responses. I'm actually leaning towards taking the "Gold" package, and not Storefront or SimpleStore, which I gather by their webpages is where Homestead comes into it. -Maybe later, when business warrants, I'll upgrade. Meanwhile, I don't even know what PHP is; I'm hoping their free software "SiteBuilder" will be all I need to learn. -I'll just be uploading text documents and JPG pictures to start with. Then have a link to CreateSpace (Amazon) for anybody who wants to buy the hardcopy. On that, an Intuit rep claimed they could disable PDF doc's download and print and save functions, but I don't really believe them, as I've heard otherwise here in this forum. Anyway, that's not a deal-killer; my primary needs are stability and ease of use, as I'm a newbie to all this. Virgin in fact.

It looks a lot like Spam to me?
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

This is kinda funny... I always thought Intuit is doing your taxes and etc? Since when did they change their business model to go into Web Hosting as well? Man, I've really lost touch of the US. Really interesting that they are going this direction. But then again, when your core business is somewhere else, I'd rather not go with them but rather go with some company whose core business is Web Hosting itself.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Quote Originally Posted by aodat2 View Post
    This is kinda funny... I always thought Intuit is doing your taxes and etc? Since when did they change their business model to go into Web Hosting as well? Man, I've really lost touch of the US. Really interesting that they are going this direction. But then again, when your core business is somewhere else, I'd rather not go with them but rather go with some company whose core business is Web Hosting itself.
    I do suppose you can look at this as a natural progression for a company that is offering services that attract businesses, naturally most of their clients are probably looking to open or maintain an existing web presence, so web hosting is something they can also sell. But as you mentioned, this is clearly not a primary offering or focus of theirs, so its quality is up to question.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by JackRT View Post
    It's great for inexperienced folks... especially for small business owners who don't have time or money to have a GREAT site up & running...
    Those Intuit templates honestly look amateur and pathetic, and lack SEO.
    Not really what I'd call a "great site".

I've created very low-cost sites where the coding was cleaner, actually had SEO work done, and the client was assisted in content creation (what to put on it, where to put it). Comparable to that $180/year price, too!

So for the cost factor, it's still a fail.

Intuit for Turbotax and Quickbooks? Sure, fine.
    For websites? No.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by bath-hosting View Post
    Exactly my thoughts... unless its Godaddy hehe
    $180 per year is steep? Hardly. The budget market might think that, it's honestly not .
    I do things. - Consumer and b2b IT solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post

I've created very low-cost sites where the coding was cleaner, actually had SEO work done, and the client was assisted in content creation (what to put on it, where to put it). Comparable to that $180/year price, too!

For websites? No.
    Well, I did not call Homestead sites great... please revisit my comment

"especially for small business owners who don't have time or money to have a GREAT site up & running..."

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    I'm not very familiar with intuit, however if you do not mind me asking, what attracted you to that particular company? Is it just the site builder? Keep in mind that just about every reputable web host offers some type of free site builder with their web hosting, so I wouldn't let that be the sole reason why you sign-up with a provider. Also, $180.00 per year is a little steep for shared web hosting.
    I used their sitebuilder when I first started about 3 years ago and will say that it's miles ahead of any other sitebuilder I've used.

Comparing this service as a hosting service is irrelevant in this case as they provide the full package which is suitable for small business owners who want an affordable solution with some control without HTML/CSS knowledge.

Jack
    Zomex ~ Templates & services for web hosting resellers since 2009!
    #1 Web Hosting Templates for WHMCS Templates | WordPress | HTML | Blesta | Clientexec
    █ Professional WHMCS Services | Installation | Configuration | Integration | Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post

For websites? No.
    I think you missed a key point. This service is a "do it yourself" service.
    Zomex ~ Templates & services for web hosting resellers since 2009!
    #1 Web Hosting Templates for WHMCS Templates | WordPress | HTML | Blesta | Clientexec
    █ Professional WHMCS Services | Installation | Configuration | Integration | Upgrades

I didn't miss anything.
    DIY is still possible with other means that work better,
    and are more cost effective,
    and give you a better end product.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Here's an alternate plan for your $180:

• pick a good free template from one of the big template sites.
    • Spend $60 to have someone customize it for you

This way gives you complete freedom to move if you don't like the service, and things will be very customized to your needs.
    raindog308
    LowEndTalk administrator, LowEndBox editor