Web Hosting Industry, Companies, Size ......

The Web hosting industry, is generally run by lots private companies. The information about industry in general is rather lacking.

Which company is the largest Web Hosting Provider by revenue? RackSpace? Last time i heard Softlayer were getting as much servers as Racksapce after merger with the planet.

And SoftLayer doesn't even have a page in Wiki.....

LiquidWeb? Much smaller in size i think.
    Mediatemple? Revenue of 30M in 2009. That is 20 times less then Rackspace @ 600+M Revenue in 09.

It would be indeed interesting to know the revenues of hosting companies!

I have no idea which is bigger!

Companies by size...

It would seem that you are sniffing around the wrong bush.

Companies like IBM, HP, Dell, Amazon, etc... are where to look.

What's the point? You're not getting any of it.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by srfreeman View Post
    Companies by size...

It would seem that you are sniffing around the wrong bush.

Companies like IBM, HP, Dell, Amazon, etc... are where to look.
    I am looking at Web Hosting Companies.

I think the largest conventional hosting companies by revenue are probably 1&1, GoDaddy and Endurance International.
    Darren Lingham - Stablepoint Hosting
    Stablepoint - Cloud Web Hosting without compromise
    We provide industry-leading cPanel™ web hosting in 80+ global cities.

HostMonk.com has estimated revenues for quite a few providers.
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On-site Engineers

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-********* View Post
    HostMonk.com has estimated revenues for quite a few providers.
    The numbers look almost completely made up on some of those providers to be honest with you - some of them are orders of magnitude wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dazmanultra View Post
    The numbers look almost completely made up on some of those providers to be honest with you - some of them are orders of magnitude wrong.
    To be honest, I'm not sure where you can even get "estimated" revenues other than there.
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On-site Engineers

Ahem; I believe you are forgetting someone...

GoDaddy.com is rated the World's largest Hosting Provider according to Netcraft.

You must never have heard of webhosting.info ... they also list godaddy as the largest. It says wildwestdomains, but that is also godaddy.

Tim L
    Superior Host LLC - Quality Web Hosting since 1998
    We really do support you like no other
    Secure, ultra reliable hosting
    Website Maintenace Plans and a Personal Level of Support

GoDaddy apparently did $750m in revenue in 2009 (quick googling reveals those figures)... I don't think they're smaller since then, but it pales in comparison to United Internet AG (1&1, Sedo, Fasthosts) which according to wikipedia has annual revenue of 1.9 billion Euros

Indeed, that is definitely so.

Last I recall, Godaddy was seen to have revenue of close to $1B: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/wsj-go...-billion/39057

GoDaddy apparently did $750m in revenue in 2009 (quick googling reveals those figures)... I don't think they're smaller since then, but it pales in comparison to United Internet AG (1&1, Sedo, Fasthosts) which according to wikipedia has annual revenue of 1.9 billion Euros
    Yes but United Internet made money from their 3 Million ADSL subscribers and Mobile Internet... etc

According to their Financial report, they made 1.3 Billion Euros from that segment. So if we discount all other Segment they are actually smaller then RackSpace.

Godaddy has always been largest when they measure "Company provides Hosting Services" that has largest amount of Domain Registers. Personally i dont even consider they are an Hosting Company at all since most of their revenue will be made by Registration of Domain Names.

With Estimate of 800M in 2010, and 35+ Million Domains that pays $10+ dollars per year, that is ~400 Million, and revenue made from other services and other sites that is part of the group, their revenue from Hosting, again is not as larger as some claim to be.

You know... total revenue is great for creditors, and investors... the profit margin is where it all counts though

Would be interesting to instead use domains hosted instead of revenue to judge the size. That's probably a better measure if you just want to see webhosting size. Most of the large companies make a large part of their revenue from other sources.
    Hostjunkies Affordable Web Hosting
    Professional Web Hosting | 99.9% Uptime | Cloudlinux | Softaculous
    Daily backups | cPanel Control Panel | Tier III Datacenter
    Follow us on twitter @hostjunkies | 4+ Years in Industry

Quote Originally Posted by hostjunkies View Post
    Would be interesting to instead use domains hosted instead of revenue to judge the size. That's probably a better measure if you just want to see webhosting size. Most of the large companies make a large part of their revenue from other sources.
    Domain Hosted? We already know that, that is GoDaddy? And who really use Godaddy for web Hosting?

Hostgator have to be up there somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by iwod View Post
    Domain Hosted? We already know that, that is GoDaddy? And who really use Godaddy for web Hosting?
    As I see it, these two statements go against each other as dominans hosted != (not equal to) domains bought.
    Serverfruit - awesome cPanel hosting!
    Bacon forever!

Quote Originally Posted by 247UKHosting View Post
    Hostgator have to be up there somewhere?
    Somewhere
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by iwod View Post
    The Web hosting industry, is generally run by lots private companies. The information about industry in general is rather lacking.

Which company is the largest Web Hosting Provider by revenue? RackSpace? Last time i heard Softlayer were getting as much servers as Racksapce after merger with the planet.

And SoftLayer doesn't even have a page in Wiki.....

LiquidWeb? Much smaller in size i think.
    Mediatemple? Revenue of 30M in 2009. That is 20 times less then Rackspace @ 600+M Revenue in 09.
    According to me you can get most of the information about a hosting company. There are enough resources on web to find about market share, domains hosted, domains registered, total servers and IP's owned by a hosting company.

webhosting dot info - Registrars and Web Hosts
    dailychanges dot com - Daily domain and hosting changes
    netcraft dot com - Hosting Analysis
    zapdata and t1r - company research and fundamental

You cannot get the financial figures such as Revenue, net worth etc., unless its a listed company. If its listed in NYSE or any exchange you can get all the information put this in google "NYSE:RAX" you will get the financial data for Rackspace Hosting.

I would consider a webhosting company as largest depending on their market share and no.of active domains & hosts.

interesting conversation, but, I need to ask - what makes a company the "largest"?

To the original poster, are you looking at # of domains? (frankly, this is a useless metric)

are you looking at total revenue? (interesting metric, but, doesnt tell you much about profitability and sustainability)

are you looking at profit margins? as a pure dollar value? (could be useful in determining size) or as a percentage? (less useful in determining size)

Anyway, I am curious why you are even asking this question.. but, aside from that, I would look at companies like IBM (yes, they are a hosting provider and a HUGE one), Other "big box" types of providers like 1&1 and Godaddy are up there - but, they arent a serious threat to anyone. Rackspace I am sure would be up there and are significant players in the managed hosting space. Peer1 might rank pretty highly as well, and again, significant player in the managed hosting space.

I guess it all depends on what you are after. You cannot just define a hosting provider as a "hosting company" any longer. The industry has diversified so much, and there are so many separate and unique industries now under the "hosting company" umbrella..
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems