Getting an Expired Domain

Hi All,

A domain name that im keen on getting has expired and Im not sure the best way to get the domain. The domain is registered with GoDaddy.com.

My Question is, what is the best approach to get the name?

a)Should I use godaddy's back order service ? My worry with this option is GoDaddy puts all sites to auction regardless of backorders whether you are first or not. Therefore this lets others know there is interest in the domain name. They also inform the current owner to renew quickly as someone has put a back order on their expired domain.

b)Should I wait until the site hits the auction then bid, rather then do a backorder?

c)Use pool.com or similair service rather then use goDaddy's backorder?

d) Do I backorder on godaddy and use a 3rd party to try get the Domain name?

Any suggestions appreciated
    Many Thanks

I would say participate in the auction.
    Sneaky Little Hobbitses

c)Use pool.com or similair service rather then use goDaddy's backorder?
    If that domain name was with the current registrar - better try your luck on their site. Pool might have some delays.

Auctions?!?!?

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I just had a look at godaddy's auctions and i dont get it, there are sites on there with prices in the 1000's but no traffic and no bids !!! what gives?

Do all godaddy expired domains go to auction?

How long does it take for from the day a domain expires until hits auction?
    Last edited by diddlyD; 04-14-2011 at 05:15 AM.

Contrary to popular belief domains don't just expire. First the domain goes into "expired" status for 40 days. During the "expired" period the domain no longer works but the owner may still renew the domain for the standard renewal fee. After 30 days the domain goes into a “redemption period” during this phase it costs the owner an additional fee to reactivate and reregister the domain. After the "redemption period", the domain will enter the 5 day deletion phase, during which the name will be officially dropped from the ICANN database and will be available for anyone to register. So you still have a while to wait before it becomes available.
    Last edited by SKaero; 04-14-2011 at 08:39 AM.

try to bid in the auction and always try to make changes in your bid with latest updates

Another option could be emailing the WHOIS contact to see if you can buy the domain from them on the cheap. This has worked for me in the past and it has also backfired.

One domain I acquired, the gentlemen renewed it and I paid $25 + renewal fees. I didn't want it to go into redemption, etc., and then possibly to another owner.

The bad example was, the guy renewed it then wanted $3k for it. Had I kept my mouth shut, it probably would have been a $8.99 purchase a month or two later.

I suppose it just depends on how bad you want the domain.

I thought about contacting the owner of the expired domain but he looks like a bit of a domain shark so I dont want attract any attention to the domain.
    My worry if i dont backorder on go daddy then i might miss out as i read somewhere that if more than one person backorders a domain it will goto to a private auction? is this true?
    On this site buyexpiringdomains
    is said all Domains goto public Auction on go daddy not sure how reliable their info is. extract:
    Godaddy stay in-house at Godaddy's auction service called Auctions.Godaddy . Domain Names go to auction with 13 days left in the RGP (Redemption period). They run a 7 day auction on Expiring Domain Names. After you win the auction, you will get the domain name 7 days later, which means the RGP is over. IMO, this is how ALL domain auction services should be run! In english, it goes like this:
    Backorders only work if nobody bids during a godaddy auction, Save your $18.99. Here is some info that will educate you to save that money..
    All domain names registered with Godaddy that hit expired status go to
    Here is the timing.
    The auctions END 36 days After the expiring Date according to Whois.sc expire date for the specific domain name. Auctions run for 10 days. So 26-27 days after the domain hit's it's expired date, the domain name will be listed on Godaddy auctions. Place your bid on the last day, to try to attract less attention to the listing.
    The only way a "backorder" works, is if their is NO bids during the auction. Then the backorder works. So if somebody bids on the domain during the auction, your backorder is SOL. (**** out of luck).
    I still have no idea how to approach this? Backorder or not?
    Wait until autcion or use a 3rd party like pool or snap names ..Arghhhh!

Try to have that Domain from backorder option. or otherwise you have to participate in the auction.

Hi ben, are you suggesting using Go Daddy's backorder system or a 3rd party one like pool? Thanks

D

You have two option:
    1) Wait till the expiry
    2) participate in auction.

Your best chance is bidding on it on the Godaddy autions. The prices that you see on some are done by auto pricing. The backorder is never a guarantee and it also depends if someone else has a backorder already. The other bad thing is you do not get a refund from the backorder if it does not work, you will just have a backorder credit for the next time you need it.

wow!!!!! its a great information. I hope it is useful for all those whose domain has been expired.
    Quote Originally Posted by SKaero View Post
    Contrary to popular belief domains don't just expire. First the domain goes into "expired" status for 40 days. During the "expired" period the domain no longer works but the owner may still renew the domain for the standard renewal fee. After 30 days the domain goes into a “redemption period” during this phase it costs the owner an additional fee to reactivate and reregister the domain. After the "redemption period", the domain will enter the 5 day deletion phase, during which the name will be officially dropped from the ICANN database and will be available for anyone to register. So you still have a while to wait before it becomes available.