Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is This Overloaded?

Hi,

I just bought a VPS from a company. Not sure if I want to say who yet...

Anyways I purchased the 2 gigs plan with 2.5 burst of RAM with OpenVZ virtualization.

What I planned on using this VPS for, is a Minecraft server, but it now seems that is no possible at all.

Whenever I try to start the server, it the screen freezes and the other root screen says it cannot allocate RAM. Also sometimes the server boots up and says "cannot fork enough RAM" or complains about Java RAM errors.

Now my guess would be that this node is extremely overloaded and I cannot even allocate a simple 360 MB's.

I have attached some pictures:

http://i54.tinypic.com/30swsig.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/24l0s5f.png

What really is the problem here? I have already asked for a refund, because I believe this to be true.

Thanks in advance,
    Nate
    Last edited by NateN34; 04-14-2011 at 01:15 AM.

You need to limit Java's stack usage using the -xMx flag on OpenVZ systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    You need to limit Java's stack usage using the -xMx flag on OpenVZ systems.
    Yeh, I did that. I tell it to allocate 314 megs to start up, and 1888 megs max.

-Xmx1888M -Xms314M

Then it either complains about RAM or locks the whole VPS up.

I says this sometimes when it freezes, when I try to use my root screen.

"-bash: fork: Cannot allocate memory"

With every command I type..
    Last edited by NateN34; 04-14-2011 at 01:23 AM.

You may need to reduce the -xmx flag significantly from 1.8GB - we have customers running Minecraft servers with much less heap memory.

Can you run the following command and paste the output?

cat /proc/user_beancounters

You may need to reduce the -xmx flag significantly from 1.8GB - we have customers running Minecraft servers with much less heap memory.

Can you run the following command and paste the output?

cat /proc/user_beancounters
    Code:
    Version: 2.5
           uid  resource                     held              maxheld                                                                                                      barrier                limit              failcnt
        11280:  kmemsize                  4737165              5522105           214                                                                                        7483646           2147483646                    0
                lockedpages                     0                  967                                                                                                       999999               999999                    0
                privvmpages                654224               655640                                                                                                       655360               655360                 5154
                shmpages                     1280                 2576                                                                                                       524288               524288                    0
                dummy                           0                    0                                                                                                            0                    0                    0
                numproc                        38                   46                                                                                                       999999               999999                    0
                physpages                  125032               127185                                                                                                            0           2147483647                    0
                vmguarpages                     0                    0                                                                                                       524288           2147483647                    0
                oomguarpages               125032               127185                                                                                                       524288           2147483647                    0
                numtcpsock                      6                   14                                                                                                      7999992              7999992                    0
                numflock                        2                    7                                                                                                       999999               999999                    0
                numpty                          3                    5                                                                                                       500000               500000                    0
                numsiginfo                      2                   47                                                                                                       999999               999999                    0
                tcpsndbuf                  105024               282672            21                                                                                        4748160            396774400                    0
                tcprcvbuf                   98304              8455344            21                                                                                        4748160            396774400                    0
                othersockbuf                 2328                32120            21                                                                                        4748160            396774400                    0
                dgramrcvbuf                     0                 8472            21                                                                                        4748160            396774400                    0
                numothersock                    7                   13                                                                                                      7999992              7999992                    0
                dcachesize                      0                    0           214                                                                                        7483646           2147483646                    0
                numfile                       771                  891             2                                                                                        3999976             23999976                    0
                dummy                           0                    0                                                                                                            0                    0                    0
                numiptent                      18                   18                                                                                                       999999               999999                    0

Yep, you're hitting your privvmpages limit. Try rebooting your VPS and lower your xmx size to something like 500MB.

Yep, you're hitting your privvmpages limit. Try rebooting your VPS and lower your xmx size to something like 500MB.
    So that does mean it is overloaded?

Sorry, I don't know much about this. I have ran plenty of VPS's with Minecraft, including HazeNet and ThrustVPS, but have never ran into this problem ever.

I also decreased the xms to 100 and the xmx to 700 and it works fine now.

No, this doesn't mean anything is overloaded. Your privvmpages limit is set as expected for a 2.5GB burst. I'm not sure exactly how your other VPSes were configured so I can't really comment on the differences here, but from what I've seen, this behavior is normal based on the numbers you've provided.

You should contact your host to see if they will raise your limits. It's a good opportunity for you to test out the support response time and technical knowledge.
    AudioProbe.net - Playing the best music from the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, and more...
    Commercial free, high quality 192kb/s, and firewall friendly port 80!
    Look for us in the iTunes Radio directory under Adult Contemporary

Quote Originally Posted by Hostify Networks View Post
    You should contact your host to see if they will raise your limits. It's a good opportunity for you to test out the support response time and technical knowledge.
    I wouldn't say their technical knowledge needs to be called out here. They promised 2.5GB of burst and their privvmpages setting is exactly correct.

I wouldn't say their technical knowledge needs to be called out here. They promised 2.5GB of burst and their privvmpages setting is exactly correct.
    Not sure about this, but it does get these errors. Most of which seem to be related to OpenVZ? Something about VZqouta, have no clue.

Code:
    Setting up screen (4.0.3-14) ...
    insserv: warning: script 'S10vzquota' missing LSB tags and overrides
    insserv: warning: script 'vzquota' missing LSB tags and overrides
    insserv: There is a loop between service vzquota and rmnologin if started
    insserv:  loop involving service rmnologin at depth 2
    insserv:  loop involving service vzquota at depth 1
    insserv:  loop involving service rsyslog at depth 1
    insserv: Starting vzquota depends on rmnologin and therefore on system facility `$all' which can not be true!
    insserv: Starting vzquota depends on rmnologin and therefore on system facility `$all' which can not be true!
    insserv: There is a loop between service vzquota and rmnologin if started
    insserv: exiting now without changing boot order!
    update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header
    dpkg: error processing screen (--configure):
     subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    configured to not write apport reports
                                          Errors were encountered while processing:
     dbus
     avahi-daemon
     x11-common
     xfonts-encodings
     xfonts-utils
     gsfonts-x11
     libice6
     libnss-mdns
     libsm6
     libxt6
     libxtst6
     screen
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    Last edited by NateN34; 04-14-2011 at 01:55 AM.

May i also suggest you - ask your host to remove the burst RAM from your VPS. I.e. ask for 2GB guaranteed without burst. Yes it may sound like you will be getting less in this case, but trust me - burst RAM is not good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by NateN34 View Post
    Not sure about this, but it does get these errors. Most of which seem to be related to OpenVZ? Something about VZqouta, have no clue.
    OK, for this specific issue, I'm guessing you're running Debian 6. Your VPS company does need to make modifications to their servers to fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by rds100 View Post
    May i also suggest you - ask your host to remove the burst RAM from your VPS. I.e. ask for 2GB guaranteed without burst. Yes it may sound like you will be getting less in this case, but trust me - burst RAM is not good for you.
    How does this apply to OpenVZ systems? Everything is governed by privvmpages (or burst).

Well, since I set the flags low, it has been running good. Almost too good.

CPU seems to have enough horsepower and the RAM seems to be leaking like Minecraft does.

Real memory 2.50 GB total, 1.21 GB used

http://oi52.tinypic.com/2lvjqqp.jpg

OK, for this specific issue, I'm guessing you're running Debian 6. Your VPS company does need to make modifications to their servers to fix this.
    How important would it be to fix this?

I don't want to make them mad at me with issues they have to fix. I already had them fix a network speed issue, by a ticket today.

I don't want to make them mad at me with issues they have to fix.
    Why would they get mad at you? Isn't that their job (to fix issues that you don't have the privileges to fix yourself)?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

I don't want to make them mad at me with issues they have to fix. I already had them fix a network speed issue, by a ticket today.
    This should be fixed as it will cause issues with many things on Debian 6 if left like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Why would they get mad at you? Isn't that their job (to fix issues that you don't have the privileges to fix yourself)?
    Yeh, well...

Just opened a support ticket now to fix it now. Will see how it goes.

It is just that I have heard horror stories about the host getting mad and then they don't help anymore, if you bug them too much.
    Last edited by NateN34; 04-14-2011 at 02:14 AM.

Yeh, well...

Just opened a support ticket now to fix it now. Will see how it goes.

It is just that I have heard horror stories about the host getting mad and then they don't help anymore, if you bug them too much.
    Sounds like you've hear stories about poor providers, good providers aren't like that.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.

How does this apply to OpenVZ systems? Everything is governed by privvmpages (or burst).
    I assume he has bought a VPS with 2GB of guaranteed RAM and burstable to 2.5G.
    From what he pasted i couldn't see what his UBC limits are but IMHO to get what he payed for the limits should be like this:

vmguardpages 524288
    oomguardpages 524288
    privvmpages 655360

So his java thing will see there is 2.5G of RAM and try to allocate it. But it might fail. If the privvmpages limit is reduced to 524288 java will not try to allocate so much memory and is less likely to fail.

Damn i feel stupid today
    Now i saw there is a scroll bar and i can seen what his limits are. They appear to be set correctly. Still if i was him i would sacrifice the 512MB of extra burst RAM and go only with the 2G of guaranteed RAM without burst.

Quote Originally Posted by rds100 View Post
    Damn i feel stupid today
    Now i saw there is a scroll bar and i can seen what his limits are. They appear to be set correctly. Still if i was him i would sacrifice the 512MB of extra burst RAM and go only with the 2G of guaranteed RAM without burst.
    The thing is he will have less memory to work with if you remove that 512MB of burst.

The thing is he will have less memory to work with if you remove that 512MB of burst.
    Well due to the nature of MineCraft/Java in this situation and the fact that burst is exactly that (burst) and isn't meant to be used constantly... I think it's better off to not have it personally.

For something like a web server where it could potentially need to actually "burst" it's ram usage higher in a high traffic event it could be useful but in an instance where the application is going to be using a high amount of ram constantly, it's probably not a good idea to take burst ram into account.

Either way - it's not my decision to make however - just giving my two cents.

Yes, but allocating burst memory is not guaranteed to succeed and his processes can start getting killed if the node gets in an out of memory situation. And java will try to allocate as much memory as it can, so if you tell it there is 10G memory there, it will try to eat it all.

Ah, well darn..

This bug in Debian 6 version, We are investigating on this if anything could be done to fix this error but as it is bug in Operating system only we can't do much on this.

I will suggest you to choose another OS for your vps.
    Debian is my favorite OS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast