Question Adaptec 5805ZQ "ZMM Status" (zero maintenance module)

Not used one of these new cards before, just got a system with 8x 300GB SAS and the 5805zq. I want to confirm that "ZMM STATUS ... OPTIMAL" means that it is indeed attached and working and it's safe to enable write cache.

I had an old RAID card years back where the BBU would said optimal even if it wasn't attached (which I assumed was a fault).

I've set write cache to "With ZMM".

Cheers.
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

2. yes, you are golden to enable write cache.

one thing odd is that why 8x SAS drives attached to 5805ZQ and where is the SSD cache drive? the whole point to use "ZQ" RAID card is to have at least one SLC based enterprise SSD, namely Intel X25-E, attached to RAID card as caching drive (MaxIQ caching)! thus, the optimal setup on your 8-port 5805ZQ should be 6x 300G RAID-10, 1x 300G hot-spare, 1x 32GB or 64GB X25-E SSD cache.

Thanks chong. Went with this card for future flexibility, this client is write intensive so wanted the NAND protection, if a future client wants the SSD cache for read heavy db then we can just swap the drive. We don't sell many machines this big so the zq just adds more options down the line.

Cheers

4. Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    Thanks chong. Went with this card for future flexibility, this client is write intensive so wanted the NAND protection, if a future client wants the SSD cache for read heavy db then we can just swap the drive. We don't sell many machines this big so the zq just adds more options down the line.

Cheers
    well, the new Adaptec 6805 (SAS-II 6G/s) + AFM-600 (4G NAND ZMM) may be a better choice in this case, at least it costs a lot less that 5805Z or 5805ZQ.
    http://www.provantage.com/scripts/se...=4&Submit.y=17

you can always add Adaptec MaxCache SSD kit to any regular 2/5/6 series RAID card (without "Q/ZQ") to get the high-performance SSD caching.

Excuse me to hijack your post but since you are talking of ZMM module i have also a question on it.

I have enabled write cache when protected by ZMM

but

do we have to also enable the check box "write caching on the device" in Windows device manager ;

- Right click on Adaptec Array SCSI Disk Device
    - Policies tabs

enable write caching on the device