What KEY Questions/Factors to base our choice of a new Provder on?

Hello,

Our software company (proprietary CMS tool for websites) has been using a VPS solution for the last few months and have had TONS of downtime and just horrific customer service. We are now shopping for a new hosting company, and have decided to upgrade to a dedicated server (rather than VPS) as well.

I have all the technical specs that I require and have started my research based on those, what I can find out about their Customer Service, and ensuring they are within our budget too.

BEYOND those two things... what else do I want to know about a potential provider? What other key questions and factors should I ask and/or base my decisions on?

As of now, I think we've narrowed it down to three providers:

If anyone wants to share their experience and/or opinions of any of these, please do share. I know there's lots of fans of HostDime on this site, and I really like the interactions I've had with Triple8 as well.

I'd love feedback about those if you have them, but mostly I want guidance on what questions and factors you think we should base our final decision on.

Of course (does it even need to be said) uptime and customer service are of paramount importance to us!

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Craig

Well, where do I start, I spent the best part of 3 months weighing things up. I had an overpriced server in the UK that wasn't performing that well and needed to find somewhere else because they couldn't realise that a software problem was making the server crash on a regular basis (Even though it was managed).

I didn't really want to move out of Europe because our sites main user base is in the UK. Because of costs 14 months ago I decided to look further afield. I narrowed it down to 2 H&H, had a good chat with one of them and costs including management was much cheaper. Perhaps I should have had a chat with the other H too.

I've upgraded hardware a few times,(disks, memory and cpu) without more than 30 minutes downtime. No network issues at all and any network upgrades that involve downtime you get a weeks notice by email.

About 2 weeks ago I got an email saying that the O/S has had a Kernel Panic (BSOD) and the server needed looking at, I replied when it could be taken offline and the cpu and ram was replaced within 2 hours.

Triple8 is a new one on me, but they look ok.

Good look and spend your money wisely.
    Last edited by Unknown67; 04-13-2011 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by craiger33 View Post
    Hello,

Our software company (proprietary CMS tool for websites) has been using a VPS solution for the last few months and have had TONS of downtime and just horrific customer service. We are now shopping for a new hosting company, and have decided to upgrade to a dedicated server (rather than VPS) as well.

I have all the technical specs that I require and have started my research based on those, what I can find out about their Customer Service, and ensuring they are within our budget too.

BEYOND those two things... what else do I want to know about a potential provider? What other key questions and factors should I ask and/or base my decisions on?

As of now, I think we've narrowed it down to three providers:

If anyone wants to share their experience and/or opinions of any of these, please do share. I know there's lots of fans of HostDime on this site, and I really like the interactions I've had with Triple8 as well.

I'd love feedback about those if you have them, but mostly I want guidance on what questions and factors you think we should base our final decision on.

Of course (does it even need to be said) uptime and customer service are of paramount importance to us!

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Craig
    Host Dime would be a really great choice.

We are more than satisfied with them, we have countless amounts of dedicated servers with them and they have yet to disappoint us.

There support is awesome as well.

Best of luck!

There is no need to do any more research. Host Dime is an awesome provider. Their customer service is incomparable! Solid network and great staff!!

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    There is no need to do any more research. Host Dime is an awesome provider. Their customer service is incomparable! Solid network and great staff!!

- Daniel
    Yup- TONS of HostDime fans on this site for sure! I appreciate you sharing your opinion.

I'm just a bit nervous given our past experience... and really want to feel like I did everything I could to make the right choice, and as much as other people's experience will play a HUGE role in my choice, I also want to ask the "right" questions and weigh the appropriate factors in my decision.

Yes, HostDime seems awesome. One thing I like about Triple8 is that they are a smaller organization and I often like that. Our current provider is pretty large and it seems that their different departments aren't in tune with each other and it's easy to get lost in all the customers they are trying to support.

Anyway, I appreciate your input and would love to hear what others have to say about key factors/questions to address making this choice.

Thanks again,
    Craig

Yup- TONS of HostDime fans on this site for sure! I appreciate you sharing your opinion.

I'm just a bit nervous given our past experience... and really want to feel like I did everything I could to make the right choice, and as much as other people's experience will play a HUGE role in my choice, I also want to ask the "right" questions and weigh the appropriate factors in my decision.

Yes, HostDime seems awesome. One thing I like about Triple8 is that they are a smaller organization and I often like that. Our current provider is pretty large and it seems that their different departments aren't in tune with each other and it's easy to get lost in all the customers they are trying to support.

Anyway, I appreciate your input and would love to hear what others have to say about key factors/questions to address making this choice.

Thanks again,
    Craig
    HostDime is big, but they are awesome. Most of their staff has AIM, and they will usually help you right there on the spot if you need anything. If you submit a ticket, it usually takes 5-10 minutes for a reply.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

Thanks again,
    Craig
    Criag,

We appreciate your interest and potential opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by HostDime View Post
    Criag,

We appreciate your interest and potential opportunity.
    Yup- I'm working with your team to put together a quote right now...