Thread: Mambo Issues!

Mambo Issues!

Mambo Issues….
    I've asked this elsewhere, even the Mambo forums, but no response.

I moved a Mambo-based site to a new server, running PHP 5.2.17, Apache 2.2.12, MySQL 5.1.6. Probably that's the issue, but maybe someone can advise.

Mambo is 4.6.2. There's a 4.6.5 (still 3 years old), but none of the fixes seem to relate to this.

Using Virtuemart, when someone selects an item to buy, clicks Add to Cart, it jumps back to the home page.

The site was moved from a cPanel to a Plesk server, and the only changes we made were to the paths in the config files (at least the two I found) to reflect the changed locations between the two control panels.

So the question is:

1. Would moving to 4.6.5 fix the problem?
    2. Can ANYTHING fix the problem?

I'm at a disadvantage here, because the site belongs to a colleague and the original web developer is no longer available. If someone can help, I'll give them more info on the site in question (it's not the one in my signature).
    Best,
    Captain Marvel
    Host/Executive Producer, The Paracast, www.theparacast.com
    I do not represent the hosting industry!

first try to contact your hosting provider as sometimes this happens due to some problem in hosting services but before that make sure to check with all your paths, as you said that you have make some changes in path

Quote Originally Posted by humawebdesign View Post
    first try to contact your hosting provider as sometimes this happens due to some problem in hosting services but before that make sure to check with all your paths, as you said that you have make some changes in path
    It looks a little more complicated. There are actually two files with three path changes that appear necessary, or at least I cannot find anymore. But somehow an admin screwed up something perhaps in the database, which wrecked the functionality of the site.

I have, however, fired the admin, although they won't give me my money back.

Thanks for the advice, though.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel

Start by clearing cache and cookies, then if it's still happening install Live HTTP headers on Firefox and see if you can get any clues from the redirect. After that you probably need to start digging into the code to see what's going on.

Alternatively,
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    Mambo is 4.6.2. There's a 4.6.5 (still 3 years old), but none of the fixes seem to relate to this.
    It sounds like Mambo isn't getting much maintenance these days - that's not a good sign. Have you considered migrating to Joomla?
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    Start by clearing cache and cookies, then if it's still happening install Live HTTP headers on Firefox and see if you can get any clues from the redirect. After that you probably need to start digging into the code to see what's going on.

Alternatively,

It sounds like Mambo isn't getting much maintenance these days - that's not a good sign. Have you considered migrating to Joomla?
    We're actually considering the possibility of taking my colleague to WordPress instead. I find Joomla just as backwards as Mambo, actually.

There is a Mambo to WordPress migration plugin, but I'm more concerned with VirtueMart and moving the storefront over.

This is something I'd like some advice on, so we can bring this over on the cheap. The site is pretty simply laid out, www.ourstrangeplanet.com, if you want to see what we're up against.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel

I only suggested Joomla because of its history - as a fork from Mambo it would most likely offer the easiest migration path and give you a fairly similar experience (or, be "just as backwards" as you put it! ). Personally I like Wordpress and Drupal (WP for simple stuff, Drupal for the more demanding sites) but it would have to be significantly more work to transfer to either of these.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

I appreciate the suggestion. Granted, a WordPress migration would be a harder task at the start, but I think the site would be more easily maintained going forward. My colleague would prefer to do much of the work without a webmaster.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel