Thread: HostGator

HostGator

Hey,

When you buy any HostGator Reseller account you get a free whmcs license that never expires..

However what happens if you then cancelled the account does it then expire or does it still work?

And can you install WHMCS on a non hostgator server for instance?

Dan
    Streama - Your WordPress Friend
    http://www.streama.co.uk

It would not work, the license would be specifically as part of your service with Hostgator and not outside of it's realm -- trust me they would of found a way to not achieve what you want to do

I know you can get around this with Hostbill, funny enough.
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Can you explain about HostBill?
    Streama - Your WordPress Friend
    http://www.streama.co.uk

I dont think Sparrow would be allowed to tell you as it would be picked up by them and patched...

But as Sparrow pointed out, not achievable. Gator would just inform WHMCS and they would deactivate the licence.
    Garbott Ltd - Professional web development & consultancy services
    Oxford.Hosting - Prestigious shared, cloud, dedicated and gaming hosting solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by jwebhost View Post
    Gator would just inform WHMCS and they would deactivate the licence.
    Actually, I think it's automated.

To get the WHMCS licence you need to apply via http://www.whmcs.com/hostgator/ and provide your domain name, I'd assume the IP of your domain is checked to ensure it is an IP on the HostGator network and if so, a licence is generated.

Much like the standard licences, I'd assume the validity is checked regularly by ensuring your domain is still using an IP on the HostGator network, if not, then the licence would be deactivated.
    Last edited by SercoNetworks; 04-13-2011 at 09:24 AM.

Yes; I believe the entire process is simply automated. So you can't really circum-navigate it.

Don't try to cheat the system. WHMCS licenses are only $13/mo from Licensepal. If that's too much for you, then you're entering the wrong business.

WHMCS is a great tool, it's well worth the cost. I'd probably pay double or more to use WHMCS if it included just a few minor additional features, but you can't beat the price and the great features of WHMCS.
    vpsBoard - An active resource for all things Virtual Private Servers. Tutorials, Guides, Offers and more!
    Come join the conversation! 90,000 posts and growing daily! The fastest growing hosting forum around!

You would only be reported and feel much shame.

Why would HostGator let you keep a free WHMCS license if you're not using their services anymore?

I recommend you purchase your license directly from WHMCS, anyways.
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee PCI-Compliant Checkout
    U.S.A Based & Operated Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

I agree with everyone else here .. if you're leaving HostGator, start looking at another source for WHMCS.
    ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers

Quote Originally Posted by Danny159 View Post

However what happens if you then cancelled the account does it then expire or does it still work?
    There is the rarest chance for WHMCS to work after canceling with them. I could not think that any host will allow you to enjoy such services after canceling the account with them

When I used WHMCS and changed my IP, I had to have my WHMCS license reactivated and WHMCS didn't work until then. So don't think you are going to copy the directory and database from your server and transfer them to your new host. Those guys over at WHMCS aren't exactly dummies.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

The server ips are in the whmcs license pool and if you order a dedicated ip you might need to be added manually. When you access your admin panel whmcs uses cURL to connect to the license servers. If it cannot connect or validate it locks you out of the administrative panel. So no, it would not work.

Before leaving Hostgator, do a backup of the WHMCS database (the WHMCS belongs to Hostgator but the info in the database is yours). If new host offers WHMCS free then all you have to do is make sure the database is the same name and upload your backedup data base. If the new host does not offer WHMCS the only way to use your database info is to purchase/rent your own. (The best thing to do though is to purchase/rent your own even if the company offers it free then your not liable to their restrictions.

Some other billing programs do have a method for importing WHMCS data.
    "To see is to see a better way, to perceive any problem clearly is to begin to create its solution. All we need is the wisdom and patience to keep looking and the love to hold what we see up to the light of understanding." ---Laurence Boldt
    F.D.W. Hosting Co.