Thread: How many slots?

How many slots?

Hi!

I'm considering putting up my old desktop computer as a server and I'm wondering how many srcds/hlds slots it would be able to run? If you need more information, just ask.

Intel Core i7 920 2.66 GHz
    6GB DDR3 RAM
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    100mbps up and down

Regards,
    John

Might want to upgrade the memory, and maybe throw a faster drive in there.

Depends on the game, tic, fps, (bots?).

Quote Originally Posted by influx07 View Post
    Might want to upgrade the memory, and maybe throw a faster drive in there.

Depends on the game, tic, fps, (bots?).
    Is the RAM & HDD bottlenecking the CPU? I could definitely upgrade the RAM, but upgrading the HDD would be too expensive (SSD/SCSI/SAS?). I was thinking CS 1.6 servers, CSS servers, Minecraft servers, TF2 servers etc.

1.6 and CSS running at 66TIC and 500FPS, you could probably get 60 slots running full blast without hindering performance. Minecraft is up for debate, it'd be best left solo if you have a lot of players (probably up to 25 if you upgarde the memory to 8GB). TF2 would be fair at 66TIC, 500FPS, and 35 slots IIRC.

If you want absolutely best performance for your game server i recommend running no more than one server per real CPU core. In your case the CPU has 4 cores so with 4 game server instances you will have good performance. If you want more than that you can go with one game server per CPU thread (in your case the CPU has 8 threads).
    Of course you can run much more than 8, but then you will be using your CPU cache in a very inefficient way and that hurts performance.

depending what speed the ram is on DDR3, I would upgrade the hard drive to 10K, 7200 will bottleneck your machine.
    James Little Operations Director Dream Servers Ltd

Dedicated Servers - Colocation - IP Transit - Data Storage - Managed Services - Cloud Web Hosting - Cloud vServers

Quote Originally Posted by DreamServers View Post
    depending what speed the ram is on DDR3, I would upgrade the hard drive to 10K, 7200 will bottleneck your machine.
    For gaming it really doesn't matter.

10k would help with map load times though

CPU would be able to hold at least 150+ slots OrangeBox. But your ram is the limiting factor, srcds takes about 200mb per instance and it goes up to 500 if you leave the server open for a bit.

Standard tick and 256 FPS, i would only put one server up to 24 slots at 1000FPS per thread if I was you though.

Talking

I am agree with you. As per the configuration 60 slot is possible.
    there is no doubt in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by influx07 View Post
    1.6 and CSS running at 66TIC and 500FPS, you could probably get 60 slots running full blast without hindering performance. Minecraft is up for debate, it'd be best left solo if you have a lot of players (probably up to 25 if you upgarde the memory to 8GB). TF2 would be fair at 66TIC, 500FPS, and 35 slots IIRC.