Is this site legit? $5 to register a .com?

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of or used this site...

http://www.netfirms.com/domain-names/domain-deal

I ask because $5/year for a .com is considerably cheaper than elsewhere, plus I see ebay auctions where they sell coupons for that site for 99 cents. So there must be a catch...

They renew at $12/year, which is a bit steeper than most registrar's $10/year.

Big transfer out fee?

They get you with the renewal fee. They make a loss of around $2 the first year and then start making profit.

I believe internetbs.net have the lowest costs for .com and a few other TLDs.

netfirms is out there for a long time. They may collect the remaining in other services like transfers, renewal, private registration etc. Also, they may have some restrictions on hosting.

I personally use Godaddy for domain registration process. However unless it is urgent i tend to wait for promotions for special days. When the right time comes, you may get a chance to register domain under almost 1$.

Netfirms is legit & based in Toronto. There is no transfer out fee & no catch. You can transfer out before the start of the 2nd year. When you register, as part of their fraud protection, they may require email or phone confirmation.

netfirms is a legit company. You can register domain there, but personally I recommend Godadyy will be the best and better.

They are legit, but offering $5 for the registration is the marketing gimmick and transfer or domain name renewal will cost you much more.

Yea.. I agree with Dan. Transfer out or domain renewal will definitely cost you more..

Netfirms is legit, and at 1and1 .com and net are 4.99$ with all fees included .. as said you can get a coupon for Godaddy that lets you buy tlds for 0.99$ good luck

Quote Originally Posted by raindog308 View Post
    $5/year for a .com is considerably cheaper than elsewhere
    Big transfer out fee?
    No matter what the price, always find out what the fees are
    Note on the website there is a *, leading to "Domain will renew at $11.99 per year thereafter", so would be $8.50 for two years which is still competitive

Also, transfer-in fees are free (subject to $11.99 renewal), but what about transfer out?
    There is no mention of this!
    M8 INTERNET : Simple and cost effective website hosting from the UK
    M8 INTERNET : Google Ads Account Management

Netfirms is a large, well-established company. They'll get their money back with renewals and transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by raindog308 View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone has heard of or used this site...

http://www.netfirms.com/domain-names/domain-deal

I ask because $5/year for a .com is considerably cheaper than elsewhere, plus I see ebay auctions where they sell coupons for that site for 99 cents. So there must be a catch...

They renew at $12/year, which is a bit steeper than most registrar's $10/year.

Big transfer out fee?
    NETFIRMS is legit and they are OK

Yeah, it legit, but their new system still has flaw's, like I still get error's and thing's like that. I use namecheap.com they may be more than $5.00 but you get free Whois guard!

It is not uncommon for a registrar to take a loss the first year on registrations.

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    what about transfer out?
    I've been in contact with them about this offer and they've said that there is no transfer out fee

netfirms is a good company..
    I have some domains there and no issues yet..
    I would recommend them..

You might save money on the first year, but if you forget to transfer it out by renewal time, you will have paid more after renewal than if you owned it elsewhere for 2 years.
    Have many great domains for sale - high search, high CPC, aged, brandable and more - let me know what you need.
    FrontSpace now offering social media, email marketing, branding, product creation and content services

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Madiou View Post
    They are legit, but offering $5 for the registration is the marketing gimmick and transfer or domain name renewal will cost you much more.

Looks to be working
    █ | Brad - Hoopla Hosting - Email or add me to Gtalk! brad [at] hooplahosting.com
    █ | Web Hosting New Zealand - Reseller Hosting - cPanel - Zurmo Hosting - Softaculous - CloudFlare
    █ | VPS - SolusVM - E3-1230 - RAID10 - 1Gbit