Results 1 to 40 of 40
  1. #1

    Datacenter Core routing help.

    Hello all WHT readers. I have this ambition of starting a POP or just a colo site in LA. Possibly CoreSite or Equinix.

    I understand most people would refer me to hire a specialist, which I will be doing, I just would like to learn for myself.

    Lets just say there is no limit on my budget so far, what would be required, and what hardware would you recommend.

    The transit providers we are most likely going to go with are Internap, GlobalCrossing, nLayer. We would also like to "peer" with cox and att.

    From my understanding, the transit providers are going to provide uplinkes to their routers, and since we're multi-homing we need our own router as well.

    I was looking at the Brocade XMR series routers, redundancy is a must for us.

    The network interface of choice for us is SFP+ at 10GbE. We will each have 2 lines from each provider at a 1gbe commit connected to the router and will be using BGP4 + Internap FCP to set a performance metric.

    IP wise we would need to register an ASN and obtain our own allocation from ARIN.

    Now, I'm just stuck on aggregation. We would need top of rack switches to connect from our core or edge to our Servers.

    Does this sound about right?

    How about a real-word scenario on how one usually creates a multi-homed ASN network?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    603
    Hello,

    The first step in creating a multi-homed network is to:
    (assuming you had the routers, switches)

    1. Get the space with coresite (I'm in Coresite-Boston and love it).
    2. Get 2 contracts locked in with your providers of choice
    2.1 be sure to request a /24 from your first provider or both for BGP purposes.
    2.2 Get cross connects from those prospective providers to your cabinet
    3. Apply for an ASN # with arin and pay for it
    4. Wait to receive the ASN # from arin
    5. Configure your router with your ASN and blocks you received from providers
    6. Plug in providers and test connectivity

    Also your core/edge routers will need to hand off to a switch of your choice before your servers, depending on how small or large your building this network and what for, it will change significantly.

    Also providers like cox/att will not peer with a small network, you would be required to pay transit costs with them.
    Axcelx Technologies - James
    Boston Colocation | Boston VPS
    Massachusetts Server Colocation and Dedicated Servers

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucial View Post
    Hello,

    The first step in creating a multi-homed network is to:
    (assuming you had the routers, switches)

    1. Get the space with coresite (I'm in Coresite-Boston and love it).
    2. Get 2 contracts locked in with your providers of choice
    2.1 be sure to request a /24 from your first provider or both for BGP purposes.
    2.2 Get cross connects from those prospective providers to your cabinet
    3. Apply for an ASN # with arin and pay for it
    4. Wait to receive the ASN # from arin
    5. Configure your router with your ASN and blocks you received from providers
    6. Plug in providers and test connectivity

    Also your core/edge routers will need to hand off to a switch of your choice before your servers, depending on how small or large your building this network and what for, it will change significantly.

    Also providers like cox/att will not peer with a small network, you would be required to pay transit costs with them.

    Thank you for the procedure to do so, now do you have any recommendations as to a real-world scenario?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    L.A., CA
    Posts
    3,706

  5. #5
    You can peer with Cox and ATT via paid peering which is usually cheaper than transit by a couple dollars per Mbps. You will usually need to commit to at least a full GigE however.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    669
    If money is no object have you considered using just internap as your sole provider you could simplify things a great deal and they could still provide full redundancy by pick them up from separate geographical locations for redundancy. (Leased line to second location) For example in SF Bay Area you could pick them up at 11 Great Oaks and Bryant Street. You would then not need FCP platform etc.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by david_halliday View Post
    If money is no object have you considered using just internap as your sole provider you could simplify things a great deal and they could still provide full redundancy by pick them up from separate geographical locations for redundancy. (Leased line to second location) For example in SF Bay Area you could pick them up at 11 Great Oaks and Bryant Street. You would then not need FCP platform etc.
    Well based on the egress and ingress tracert's I've been doing, I think creating our own BGP mix with FCP would be even better than Internap transit itself. And, doing so, I would learn myself on how to do BGP-4 Maintence, and playing with hardware is fun too, so it's a win-win. Plus, redundancy is a must for what we're doing
    Last edited by sirius; 04-13-2011 at 01:59 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    472
    Your plan looks just fine.
    Now if I only had unlimited resources, I would of went with: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5862/index.html
    And I'd pick Level3 over Global Crossing.

    But this are only my personal choices, again, nothing wrong with your plan.
    PidginHost.com - Managed dedicated servers, cloud servers and software development.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiesowns View Post
    Well based on the egress and ingress tracert's I've been doing, I think creating our own BGP mix with FCP would be even better than Internap transit itself. And, doing so, I would learn myself on how to do BGP-4 Maintence, and playing with hardware is fun too, so it's a win-win. Plus, redundancy is a must for what we're doing



    If you don't have anything productive to say, then I guess you shouldn't reply here.

    I understand there is alot of "kiddy" hosts out there, but I'm just looking for opinions on-topic to my question.
    Please don't make your production environment a sandbox where you have live customers on it. They wont appreciate it.

    Also running a FCP on your own network + using Internap is a recipe for disaster. While internap is changing their routes every x minutes your FCP will have to play "catch up" and analyze everything. We don't use a FCP and our network is just fine. Its about understanding your traffic and your upstreams and how to get there effectively.

    Also lightwave is spot on, there are LOTS of consultants out there that are more than happy to charge you a couple grand to fill out some papers and talk to ARIN for you. Don't get so offensive most of the people in here know what they are talking about and have been doing this for years.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,523
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaudiuPopescu View Post
    Your plan looks just fine.
    Now if I only had unlimited resources, I would of went with: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5862/index.html
    While your at it, maybe better get the CRS-3 series
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...4-Slot_DS.html

    Or maybe the Juniper MX960 3D
    http://www.juniper.net/us/en/product...-series/mx960/
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Reston
    Posts
    305
    Whether you go with CoreSite or Equinix, do your best to get an MSA. You will find out in the colo world pricing fluctuates when the wind blows another direction since it is a commodity. Protect yourself and your future growth and ambitions wth an MSA and fixed pricing for a minimum of 6 months. This will also help you with your marketing efforts and keeping your public pricing up to date.
    Dan Buyer
    InfoRelay - Connected, Protected, Perfected.
    Equinix LAX & DC, One Wilshire, Wilshire Annex, MPT, VE, 1275K, Reston Exchange, Reston Equinix, 60 Hudson, NYC, and Chicago
    www.inforelay.com

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    Please don't make your production environment a sandbox where you have live customers on it. They wont appreciate it.

    Also running a FCP on your own network + using Internap is a recipe for disaster. While internap is changing their routes every x minutes your FCP will have to play "catch up" and analyze everything. We don't use a FCP and our network is just fine. Its about understanding your traffic and your upstreams and how to get there effectively.
    It's rather more of a sandbox in the beginning phases then once I get the sufficient knowledge I need to talk to our techs to understand whats going on and etc, Then it will be a production product at a decent price point.

    And yes, I understand about internap and FCP, hence why I said it would be better creating our own mix with FCP than using internap itself.

    Also lightwave is spot on, there are LOTS of consultants out there that are more than happy to charge you a couple grand to fill out some papers and talk to ARIN for you. Don't get so offensive most of the people in here know what they are talking about and have been doing this for years.
    Yes, I know the people in here know what they're doing, thats why I'm posting! We all had to start from somewhere, right?
    Last edited by Cookiesowns; 04-13-2011 at 01:54 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    While your at it, maybe better get the CRS-3 series
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...4-Slot_DS.html

    Or maybe the Juniper MX960 3D
    http://www.juniper.net/us/en/product...-series/mx960/
    Hmm, I couldn't a find a direct link to CRS-3 from their site. While I can find the CRS-1 though.

    For a good price to performance Core router that is scalable and reliable, which would you use?

    Brocade, Juniper and Cisco.

    Oh yes, which one would be best suited on paper where everyone recognizes and jumps the gun, going, OH, OH, OH. Look ma! they're using Cisco, they must be "tier1"

    Jokes aside, thanks for the help so far. Let me clarify on what I meant by real-world examples. I was looking for outlines on how to connect my cores to edge and to the distribution as well, and how carrier lines should connect to multiple core-routers for redundancy.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiesowns View Post

    Jokes aside, thanks for the help so far. Let me clarify on what I meant by real-world examples. I was looking for outlines on how to connect my cores to edge and to the distribution as well, and how carrier lines should connect to multiple core-routers for redundancy.
    Your not big enough for a core/edge deployment stop trying to make this over complicated, keep it simple.

    if you have 2 connections per upstream then plug each one into each core and then connect your core together with a single 10g or etherchannel/lag/whatever vender your using here/connection

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiesowns View Post
    Brocade, Juniper and Cisco.
    What model? what cards? and for what purpose? hard to give advice without knowing more about the requirements now and in the future.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    What model? what cards? and for what purpose? hard to give advice without knowing more about the requirements now and in the future.
    We need 10GbE, no less from all the routers. I also would like to handle full-routes from multiple providers.

    What we're looking at here is 3 providers with 2 lines coming from each at 10GbE. So total capacity of 60GbE, but we want the ability to scale as much as up to 240Gbps in the future if possible.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiesowns View Post
    but we want the ability to scale as much as up to 240Gbps in the future if possible.
    Do you in this case, require 240gbps outbound capacity (24 x 10 gigabit ports to 3rd parties) or do you mean 120 gbps to 3rd parties and 120 gbps to your internal network?
    Do you have specific requirements like:

    How many VLANs?
    MPLS ?
    DDOS detection and mitigation ?
    Anything else we need to know?
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiesowns View Post
    We need 10GbE, no less from all the routers. I also would like to handle full-routes from multiple providers.

    What we're looking at here is 3 providers with 2 lines coming from each at 10GbE. So total capacity of 60GbE, but we want the ability to scale as much as up to 240Gbps in the future if possible.

    99% of the network operaters would normally get some sort of L3 switch i.e a 6509/Nexus/MLX/EX8200, feed that device the routes from your "core" or in this case they would really be edge/core devices and then go from there.

    In a perfect world the "core" never touches customer facing ports hence what edge devices are for. So you would have 2 Edge routers, 2 Core routers 2 "customer aggregation" routers and a L3 switch for any TOR/servers/etc. Normally the definition of the "core" relates off to connecting other locations and connecting everything together.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    Your not big enough for a core/edge deployment stop trying to make this over complicated, keep it simple.

    if you have 2 connections per upstream then plug each one into each core and then connect your core together with a single 10g or etherchannel/lag/whatever vender your using here/connection
    This isn't complicated, plus, if its complicated now and I get the grasps of it, wouldn't it be easier then?

    What would this connection be called for say, cisco?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiesowns View Post
    This isn't complicated, plus, if its complicated now and I get the grasps of it, wouldn't it be easier then?

    What would this connection be called for say, cisco?

    Cisco calls it etherchannel. If you really have no idea what you are doing or even know the basics of cisco on how they want you to do innerconnects you should really go take a class and learn some basics. Or hire a consultant/company to help you.

    Most people who come here and ask these questions have realistic goals, have a view/plan on what they want to do in production, know the vender they want and have a budget in mind. None of which you seem to have.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    Do you in this case, require 240gbps outbound capacity (24 x 10 gigabit ports to 3rd parties) or do you mean 120 gbps to 3rd parties and 120 gbps to your internal network?
    Do you have specific requirements like:

    How many VLANs?
    MPLS ?
    DDOS detection and mitigation ?
    Anything else we need to know?
    Vlans would be close to 2,000 at the most.

    DDoS detection and mitigation would be helpful.

    We don't require it at this point, but would like it to scale up to 240Gb, I don't think we'll be surpassing that in quite some time. Both egress and ingress.

    MPLS is needed.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiesowns View Post
    Vlans would be close to 2,000 at the most.

    DDoS detection and mitigation would be helpful.

    We don't require it at this point, but would like it to scale up to 240Gb, I don't think we'll be surpassing that in quite some time. Both egress and ingress.

    MPLS is needed.
    What do you exactly plan on doing with MPLS?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiesowns View Post
    This isn't complicated, plus, if its complicated now and I get the grasps of it, wouldn't it be easier then?
    Actually it is pretty complicated. I believe that advice online can only go so far, in this case you need someone to analyze your current and future needs and requirements. That analysis needs to be translated into an extensive network diagram and then you can start to decide what vendors and models would perform well/the best in your scenario. After that phase, you get the bidding game, then the actual implementation, setup, testing ...
    I feel your requirements might be too complex to be answered in this thread. You need a network architect to work with you, the investment into equipment and licenses you talk about, will run likely into the millions.
    The best people can do here, is give some general advice or tell a little about their scenario. Its likely that little of that will apply to your specific requirements. Once you talk about a platform that can scale to 240 gbps+ traffic, FCP platform, core, edge, MPLS, DDOS detection and mitigation.... well its really time to get a network architect onboard.
    Last edited by swiftnoc; 04-13-2011 at 02:54 PM.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    Cisco calls it etherchannel. If you really have no idea what you are doing or even know the basics of cisco on how they want you to do innerconnects you should really go take a class and learn some basics. Or hire a consultant/company to help you.

    Most people who come here and ask these questions have realistic goals, have a view/plan on what they want to do in production, know the vender they want and have a budget in mind. None of which you seem to have.
    Well, I'll most likely be completing a CCNA course, maybe even CCIP after the next few months to years, I'm still young, I have time to learn. Which is what I'm trying to do now.

    Our budget for just the core/edge would just be around 200-500k for our current requirements, not sure if that is a decent budget for the scale of what we're trying to do.

    We would be a multi-homed provider offering Managed hosting services, such as cloud, VPS, shared hosting, and clusters.

    LA is our location of choice at this point, then we'll soon be expanding to different areas, such as Dallas, Chicago, Europe and Asia.

    Hope this clarifies what I'm trying to accomplish


    Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    What do you exactly plan on doing with MPLS?
    For QoS and priority based routing purposes. Streaming vs standard HTTP requests.


    Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    Actually it is pretty complicated. I believe that advice online can only go so far, in this case you need someone to analyze your current and future needs and requirements. That analysis needs to be translated into an extensive network diagram and then you can start to decide what vendors and models would perform well/the best in your scenario. After that phase, you get the bidding game, then the actual implementation, setup, testing ...
    I feel your requirements might be too complex to be answered in this thread. You need a network architect to work with you, the investment into equipment and licenses you talk about, will run likely into the millions.
    The best people can do here, is give some general advice or tell a little about their scenario. Its likely that little of that will apply to your specific requirements. Once you talk about a platform that can scale to 240 gbps+ traffic, FCP platform, core, edge, MPLS, DDOS detection and mitigation.... well its really time to get a network architect onboard.
    Then this is exactly what we're going to do. If you have some references on whom we may start with, preferably near LA, orange county, who we can meet and discuss in person would be great.
    Last edited by Cookiesowns; 04-13-2011 at 02:57 PM.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiesowns View Post
    Well, I'll most likely be completing a CCNA course, maybe even CCIP after the next few months to years, I'm still young, I have time to learn. Which is what I'm trying to do now.

    Our budget for just the core/edge would just be around 200-500k for our current requirements, not sure if that is a decent budget for the scale of what we're trying to do.

    We would be a multi-homed provider offering Managed hosting services, such as cloud, VPS, shared hosting, and clusters.

    LA is our location of choice at this point, then we'll soon be expanding to different areas, such as Dallas, Chicago, Europe and Asia.

    Hope this clarifies what I'm trying to accomplish

    two MX960's with dual RE's and enough 10G ports.. minimum 8 per router is going to blow your budget out of the water. _list_ price on a mx960 + a single 4x10g and 20x SFP card is 300k. Figure you can get 50% off list so your at 150k for a single MX960 double it for two your at 300k. Your additional 4x10g cards are going to run another 60k each so times two more of those is another 120k so your at 420k and this is only for your .. "core" we aren't even getting into your Edge or distribution level yet. Regardless you go with a 960 480 or a 240 price variation for the chassis wont differ to much. a oversubscribed 16x 10G card for the MX is 200k.

    Then lets not forget about your annual maintenance on them, the power/space that these will take up... you'll be burning 6.2kW of power to two routers and a whole rack just for your core network.

    And heaven forbid we talk about DDOS appliances.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiesowns View Post

    For QoS and priority based routing purposes. Streaming vs standard HTTP requests.
    MPLS has nothing to do with QoS or priority based routing, MPLS is simply really a mechanism for transport, nor should you care about QoSing web traffic if your burning 10G ports. QoS and related are really due to traffic running over MPLS links that would burn a full port utilization i.e a t1/10M port etc so you can give higher priority to voice traffic.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    two MX960's with dual RE's and enough 10G ports.. minimum 8 per router is going to blow your budget out of the water. _list_ price on a mx960 + a single 4x10g and 20x SFP card is 300k. Figure you can get 50% off list so your at 150k for a single MX960 double it for two your at 300k. Your additional 4x10g cards are going to run another 60k each so times two more of those is another 120k so your at 420k and this is only for your .. "core" we aren't even getting into your Edge or distribution level yet. Regardless you go with a 960 480 or a 240 price variation for the chassis wont differ to much. a oversubscribed 16x 10G card for the MX is 200k.

    Then lets not forget about your annual maintenance on them, the power/space that these will take up... you'll be burning 6.2kW of power to two routers and a whole rack just for your core network.

    And heaven forbid we talk about DDOS appliances.
    So it seems I'm getting ahead of myself. The thing is, we're already past the typical colocation, we're going to be pushing multiple 8+kW racks. So we're just stuck in the middle right now. I don't want to step back, but stepping forward seems like a complete different territory for me.

    What's the big picture here for me? Would it be better to cut back on servers, sans and etc, and build a strong network to start off with. Then slowly expand our computing grid?


    Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    MPLS has nothing to do with QoS or priority based routing, MPLS is simply really a mechanism for transport, nor should you care about QoSing web traffic if your burning 10G ports. QoS and related are really due to traffic running over MPLS links that would burn a full port utilization i.e a t1/10M port etc so you can give higher priority to voice traffic.
    Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. What would be the benefit of implementing MPLS in this case? Or would it just cause unnecessary overhead?
    Last edited by Cookiesowns; 04-13-2011 at 03:11 PM.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiesowns View Post
    What's the big picture here for me? Would it be better to cut back on servers, sans and etc, and build a strong network to start off with.
    The big picture: outsource it. Let another company handle the network and focus on your core business. The time and money you would spend building the network, get the knowledge to run it, maintenance (etc) would be far better spend on your core business.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    The big picture: outsource it. Let another company handle the network and focus on your core business. The time and money you would spend building the network, get the knowledge to run it, maintenance (etc) would be far better spend on your core business.
    Noted. Doesn't seem economical at this point then I suppose. We still would like to be multi-homed with our own ASN, but We'll leave the operations of the core network to professionals.

    Thank you all for the feedback.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiesowns View Post
    So it seems I'm getting ahead of myself. The thing is, we're already past the typical colocation, we're going to be pushing multiple 8+kW racks. So we're just stuck in the middle right now. I don't want to step back, but stepping forward seems like a complete different territory for me.

    What's the big picture here for me? Would it be better to cut back on servers, sans and etc, and build a strong network to start off with. Then slowly expand our computing grid?




    Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. What would be the benefit of implementing MPLS in this case? Or would it just cause unnecessary overhead?
    Be realistic to yourself start out smaller, why two connections per carrier? Just do 2 to one and then 1 on each, get something like a MX80 or two and start with that. You can always turn the mx80's into edge routers and change to a core structure later with minimal headaches.

    When you start dealing with MPLS you add a new factor, MTU size which if you are not careful you will fragment your network and then all hell breaks lose. As stated MPLS is only useful for doing transport from one building to another to another to another etc. I really don't see you ever using MPLS unless you start putting pops into multiple datacenters and start selling transport services.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    669
    Have you considered prototyping the system first, you can even go live with the prototype as you build a customer base bring the big system online and retire the prototype to your lab.

    First I would get Halabi's book and read it and understand before doing anything else.

    I would start with a single 1G connections to two or three different providers a pair 7204VXR w NPE/G2 (w 2GB Ram they can hold several sets of full routes and push a full Gig) add some 3560G or 3750G L3 switches for distribution. All this can be got for great prices used. This is pretty much our live config and it works great for us. You can then scale up and spend the big bucks after you have learned all about the technology.

    You will be surprised at how much bandwidth 3 Gig really is we serve several corporate customers some doing video and high bandwidth apps and we barely get above 50% on our connections. Im not saying you dont need 10Gig you know your apps and customers better but at least do single connections to them at first, if a provider connection does fail your other providers will take the strain until it is fixed. I would also not do FCP to start this can add performance but add this only when you are sure you really need it.

    Keep it simple simple simple.

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    Don't get so offensive most of the people in here know what they are talking about and have been doing this for years.
    Maybe you've got some sort of plugin in your browser where every post on WHT is automatically edited to include a personal insult towards yourself, because the things you find offense at are often puzzling to me.

    edit: I re-read the post that you were quoting, and apparently the offensive bit had been edited out, but I do see it where you had quoted the OP, so this is my mistake, I could see how what was posted originally, before editing, could have been offensive.
    Last edited by funkywizard; 04-13-2011 at 08:37 PM.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Skype: iofloodsales
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    The big picture: outsource it. Let another company handle the network and focus on your core business. The time and money you would spend building the network, get the knowledge to run it, maintenance (etc) would be far better spend on your core business.
    Given what I've read in this thread so far, this is definitely your best bet.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Skype: iofloodsales
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    Given what I've read in this thread so far, this is definitely your best bet.
    Alright, thank you.

    Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but anyone recommend some Colo Providers that have various POP's using Internap bandwidth?

  35. #35
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brantford, Canada
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiesowns View Post
    Alright, thank you.

    Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but anyone recommend some Colo Providers that have various POP's using Internap bandwidth?
    Eh, Internap isn't as great as they used to be and don't have nearly the large mix of providers they used to (for most locations).

    Personally I would check out http://www.ubiquityservers.com if you want someone with various pops and a great network.
    ~

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadlineTim View Post
    Eh, Internap isn't as great as they used to be and don't have nearly the large mix of providers they used to (for most locations).

    Personally I would check out http://www.ubiquityservers.com if you want someone with various pops and a great network.
    I did some looking-glass tests with Mzima/PacketExchange, not really getting great routing. And with the main targeted user base tests using their test ips from ubiquity, not that fascinated to be honest.

    They are all great providers I understand, but we are simply looking for even better, this is why I brought up building our own BGP mix

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Jose, CA.
    Posts
    1,622
    Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    Maybe you've got some sort of plugin in your browser where every post on WHT is automatically edited to include a personal insult towards yourself, because the things you find offense at are often puzzling to me.

    edit: I re-read the post that you were quoting, and apparently the offensive bit had been edited out, but I do see it where you had quoted the OP, so this is my mistake, I could see how what was posted originally, before editing, could have been offensive.
    I think he was referring to the OPs response to my post.
    Considering the OP(presumably) reported my post for action, I'm guessing he was somewhat "offended".

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The backplane
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiesowns View Post
    I did some looking-glass tests with Mzima/PacketExchange, not really getting great routing.
    What's not great about the routing you saw, and then what do you consider "great"?

  39. #39
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brantford, Canada
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by [CTI] Todd View Post
    What's not great about the routing you saw, and then what do you consider "great"?
    Was wondering the same thing..
    ~

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave View Post
    I think he was referring to the OPs response to my post.
    Considering the OP(presumably) reported my post for action, I'm guessing he was somewhat "offended".
    Nope, false accusation once again. Never reported it, and wasn't offended at all.


    Quote Originally Posted by [CTI] Todd View Post
    What's not great about the routing you saw, and then what do you consider "great"?

    I was getting at least 5ms-15ms higher than what I usually get with other transit providers. Plus 10Gig ports from ubiquity requires quite a large setup fee, even higher b/w pricing than going direct.

Similar Threads

  1. [SWEDEN] Pionen datacenter dual core only 63! with 1TB traffic
    By xema in forum Dedicated Hosting Offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2011, 07:15 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-02-2010, 02:59 AM
  3. Quad core starting at $120 per month. Fast setup 3-4 hours Texas Datacenter
    By mainstreamnet in forum Dedicated Hosting Offers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2009, 03:06 PM
  4. Quad core starting at $130 per month. Fast setup 3-4 hours Texas Datacenter
    By mainstreamnet in forum Dedicated Hosting Offers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-25-2009, 01:38 PM
  5. Quad-Core Blow Out! $89/month | cPanel | Windows | NY Datacenter
    By QualityEcommerce in forum Dedicated Hosting Offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2009, 02:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •