* Help in getting a dedicated server + hosting

Hello WHT Forum,
    This forum is so great in getting information regarding anything related to web hosting and service providers. I have been searching for a good company with great price for over a month and I think that I am lost in all of them. So, I am now going to give a try to WHT to guide me properly.

I have a shared hosting right now, but I want to move to either VPS or Dedicated Server. My Current Shared hosting provider says that VPS is not a good option as it is also a shared hosting, which makes me think to go for dedicated.

I have a site with at least 20k - 30k hits per month. I provide membership based subscriptions to my users, which are currently over 700. I provide them FLV or SWF videos which they watch each day. About 10 - 15 videos daily PLUS about 3 years history for all videos available to watch online. The number of users sometimes decrease down to 300 or some times reach over 1500.

I would like to get optimal hardware configuration for my server so that I either don't run out of resources or get way over what I need. I also would like to know that how can I minimize the streaming issue. I don't want my users to wait for streaming or delayed streaming.

I run my site in PHP/mysql along with emails ( about 10 - 100 emails / day).

Windows / Linux, not issue, but I prefer to get Windows as I myself can manage it properly over Linux.

Also please suggest, VPS is a better choice or should I go with dedicated?

THANKS!!!!

In my opinion, you should go for a dedicated server.
    Streaming FLV/SWF files on a vps is not a good idea.

First of all, let us know your budget, hardware requirements and the preferred location, then we can help you.

Budget: about $100 - $200 but it's not final. As I said, I can change my mind according to optimal server configurations.

Hard Disk: at least 200gb
    RAM: ur call as I am looking to get optimal, may be 2 or 4gb?
    Processor: Is Core2Duo enough or should core i3,i5 or xeon?
    Uplink speed: 10, 100 or 1000mbps??

Quote Originally Posted by Exigo Network View Post
    In my opinion, you should go for a dedicated server.
    Streaming FLV/SWF files on a vps is not a good idea.

First of all, let us know your budget, hardware requirements and the preferred location, then we can help you.

any one??

Check out 100tb.com

The specs you choose really depend on user numbers- i.e. roughly how many users are going to actually be streaming videos at the same time? 20? 100?

Like you mentiond there are thousands of choices out there. My opinion would be to contact the ones that peak your intrest. or offer the avaliablity of upgrade down grades depending on your needs. There are some places when you get into the Econo packages (cheap) you can not simply upgrade you have to move to a new server. contacting them will also show their willingness to help you out.
    www.Hostd8.com "Where the client comes first!"
    Ultra Fast Unmetered Dedicated Servers
    Ultra Fast VPS's
    Budget Line Shared Hosting

Thanks for all the inputs.. according to couple of experts, instead of going for dedicated, they advised me to get VPS. I am using about 200 - 500 gb of bandwidth a month, single site, about 30k hits a month and about 30mb of database. According to them, I can get a 100gb hard space, 4gigs of ram and reasonable processor speed in VPS to get going. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by jigzyy View Post
    Thanks for all the inputs.. according to couple of experts, instead of going for dedicated, they advised me to get VPS. I am using about 200 - 500 gb of bandwidth a month, single site, about 30k hits a month and about 30mb of database. According to them, I can get a 100gb hard space, 4gigs of ram and reasonable processor speed in VPS to get going. What do you think?
    I think it is very true and you would spend less in the begining. Would save alot of startup cost. I know that the start up is the hardest time when bills are due and no money coming in () that is why most recomend to work you way thru the ranks vps then to dedi.
    www.Hostd8.com "Where the client comes first!"
    Ultra Fast Unmetered Dedicated Servers
    Ultra Fast VPS's
    Budget Line Shared Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by jigzyy View Post
    How fast do you expect to grow? If you expect to need 5x the bandwidths/space in under 6 months, you might want to consider moving to a dedicated server.
    madgenius.com - Corp.
    Web Hosting, Cloud VPS, and Dedicated Solutions since 1998
    Offering Windows, and Linux OS's

An Amazon based cloud VPS (scalable), sounds perfect for you!

Thank you for all the replies. Now, I would like to know best VPS hosting among following;

MyHosting
    InMotion
    TheFusionnet
    HostGator
    1and1

and any other??

Now.. VPS or Cloud?? Gosh!!