I'm through with Shared Hosting

Can someone tell me if Cloud hosting will fix my problems with slow loading speeds and reliability that I'm contantly bugged down in shared hosting environment?

<begining of rant>
    I dont need a high capacity bandwidth intensive solution. I only run couple of small scale blogs, and couple of other business sites, but...man...the performance on shared hosting is slow. Somedays faster than others. First I thought its my sites that needed some tweaking or was compromised by some parasites...etc, but after doing that, I have 0 increase in performance. I need a host which, if I type my domain in the URL, it doesn't take a few seconds finding it, and then a few seconds loading it. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? I dont trust these traditional Shared Hosting services such as bluehost, justhost, hostgator anymore.
    </ end of rant>

Many folks on these forums started on shared hosting environment then climbed up the ladder from there. My question is, if cloud hosting is better in terms of shared resources, which cloud company should I go with, or should I invest my efforts into VPS?

Thanks ahead of time.
    Last edited by bgbs; 04-12-2011 at 04:47 PM.

The so called "cloud hosting" or a VPS will not necessarily solve your problem. Any service can be bad, overloaded and oversold. It will vary by provider.
    But there can be many reasons why your sites are loading slow. Most of the reasons are not a fault of the hosting company, but rather bad scripts (written by lazy programmers), etc. Perhaps if you give an example of one of your slow sites we can try to analyze the slowness.

For example: bibikova.com

That site loads decently quick here. Could be faster, but overall not bad.

It could be loading quick today. Tomorrow it will be slow.
    Can you tell me if enginehosting.com is a good solution. I know these quys are very popular with their Expression Engine Script, but I dont know if anyone could recommend their hosting.

Ok, DNS seems to be setup correctly, all name servers reply fast and correct.
    But that wordpress there... do you use any caching plugin? Everything seems to be dynamic on that page, even the images are served through phps - that is going to cause load (cpu and disk) on the server, and if the server is already loaded performance will suck. That simple page will be resource intensive on any server. There is a lot to optimize there.

P.S. Yes, it doesn't seem to be too slow right now.

Yes some images are dynamically loaded because they automatically get uptaded, but not others. Wordpress is a dynamic site. I do run a caching plugin, but as you know with all caching plugins they do not work for first time visitors. I also run js/css minifiers.

The only thing I know, other folks who run high image intensive sites out-there somehow load faster. Any recommendation in increasing performance is highly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by rds100 View Post
    Ok, DNS seems to be setup correctly, all name servers reply fast and correct.
    But that wordpress there... do you use any caching plugin? Everything seems to be dynamic on that page, even the images are served through phps - that is going to cause load (cpu and disk) on the server, and if the server is already loaded performance will suck. That simple page will be resource intensive on any server. There is a lot to optimize there.

P.S. Yes, it doesn't seem to be too slow right now.

Caching plugins do work for first time visitors - look into using wp-super-cache.

You're using JustHost as your shared provider, which is why you're seeing bad performance on shared hosting.

Find a better provider, most likely one that isn't unlimited and isn't $4/month.
    StableHost .:. Unlimited web hosting done right. Experience the unlimited difference.
    PingThat .:. Is your website down? Find out now with our QuickChecker technology.

I think we all know that Dedicated hosting will definitely be better than shared hosting IF you can manage the server and cost. Load from hundreds of other sites hosted on server will not be affecting performance of your site.
    Shared/VPS hosting from a good provider should be enough for you though. Try to a better/costlier host?

In checking http://bibikova.com/

Probably not a hosting problem here.

Site loads much faster in Internet Explorer v9 than in FireFox v4 or Google Chrome v10. You may need to look at elements that are optimized for individual browsers.

Site code does not do particularly well against validation testing (markup or CSS).

WordPress is not known as a particularly efficient way to display a web site (it is simply a blogging application after all). If load speed is a concern, you may want to explore some of the more efficient ways of displaying information.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
    You're using JustHost as your shared provider, which is why you're seeing bad performance on shared hosting.

Find a better provider, most likely one that isn't unlimited and isn't $4/month.
    holy crap their $4/mo price is 4 year prepay o_O

Taking into account the resources you are using from your provider, there is nothing strange in bad performance.

Whilst some shared hosting can be sluggish - you'll often find that a low-end, I/O contended VPS lacking memory can easily be as bad or even worse - especially if you need to deal with bursts of traffic since a VPS can end up in swap very quickly under a lot of traffic.
    Darren Lingham - UK Webhosting Ltd. - (0800) 024 2931
    Tsohost.co.uk - Quality UK Windows and Linux hosting since 2003
    UK WordPress Hosting - Fast, easy, cloud based WordPress Hosting

site loading time could effect due to several issue, shared hosting could be the reason but before that you should make sure that your blog is codded well or your php-mysql should be optimized.

As of now the site seems to be loading fast here.
    VPS Hosting | Premium Web Hosting Service In India
    -----------------------------------
    India's Fastest Growing Premium Web Hosting and Domain Registration Service Provider

How do you explain that it take about three seconds for the browser just to connect to the host? Rendering a page is good to OK on the server, but what I don't like about shared hosts is it takes longer just to connect to the server. This is what I want to eliminate. I test my connection speed from the states backbone, and I know that my site doesn't "BOOM" come up right away, there is a connection delay all the time. I host other sites as well on the same account, which are static, but the same connection delay is seen there too.

What I'm wondering if cloud hosting will take care of this connection time issue? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by srfreeman View Post
    In checking http://bibikova.com/

Probably not a hosting problem here.

Quote Originally Posted by bgbs View Post
    How do you explain that it take about three seconds for the browser just to connect to the host? Rendering a page is good to OK on the server, but what I don't like about shared hosts is it takes longer just to connect to the server. This is what I want to eliminate. I test my connection speed from the states backbone, and I know that my site doesn't "BOOM" come up right away, there is a connection delay all the time. I host other sites as well on the same account, which are static, but the same connection delay is seen there too.

What I'm wondering if cloud hosting will take care of this connection time issue? Anyone?
    That's due to overloading a server, not a shared host thing. As I mentioned earlier, find a better shared provider and it should go away.

A low-end VPS could be even slower.
    StableHost .:. Unlimited web hosting done right. Experience the unlimited difference.
    PingThat .:. Is your website down? Find out now with our QuickChecker technology.

I agree with nerdie. That is a common sign of many users all competing for the same limited resources. Your best bet would be trying a smaller provider with decent sized packages and hope that they don't overload their servers.

Also, cloud hosting is dependent on its backbone. If there are too many competing users it will be just as slow if the host doesn't add more servers to the cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by bgbs View Post

The 3 second lag;

This really seems to consistent to be from random system over use. It would seem that it could possibly be from some thing in code that is run before page display or possibly it comes from the DNS setup. The PipeDNS statements about privacy and SEO with the fact that the name servers ultimately resolve back to DNSMadeEasy just make it look suspicious.

Cloud hosting could even magnify the issue if the database queries are such that they end up being cued, which is often the case with these types of sites.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
    That's due to overloading a server, not a shared host thing. As I mentioned earlier, find a better shared provider and it should go away.

A low-end VPS could be even slower.
    I agree completely.

Cloud hosting is just as mixed a bag as shared hosting. With shared hosting you can get tremendous performance — it all comes down to the infrastructure of the host, and how they balance the need to get as much mileage out of their hardware as possible without compromising performance.

Cloud hosting is so loose a term it can apply to many different things. Most often it's used to describe a redundant network of VPSs where you can provision one or more VPSs of various sizes and do whatever you choose with them. The downside is that without paying a hefty fee they're completely unmanaged, meaning you have to take care of everything beyond installing the OS yourself — far from a trivial task, and one that never really ends.

A big downside of this kind of infrastructure is if you don't have an elastic budget to match the elastic nature of the system, you're going to end up sitting on a relatively weak VPS which isn't exactly going to make your site scream. I only consider VPSs worthwhile if you have a fairly sizable budget and can afford a beefy set-up.

However clouds exist which are more akin to shared hosting, for example EuroVPS and Rackspace Cloud Sites. This is probably more like what you want from a cloud: a completely managed infrastructure that you can use just like shared hosting, but sits upon an extremely robust and large network of machines and instances all dealing with their own little tasks, with more machines taking on the load should your site need it — overloading essentially becomes of no concern.

The downside with these hosts is you often pay for your usage more directly. Indeed, the best hosts of this type employ a 'pay as you go' model where you pretty much pay for what you require of their service and nothing more. So if you have a digg month you pay more, if you have a quiet month you pay less.

I personally like cloud hosting, but it's important to remember that management-wise it can range from the equivalent of dedicated hosting to the equivalent of shared hosting. For the sake of an easier life I prefer the latter, and I use EuroVPS's reseller high-availability cloud service which is making my WordPress sites run beautifully with execution times on a default installation of about 0.125 seconds (pretty much 'loads as fast as you can click' type speed). Best and most consistent I've had yet, and I've tried an awful lot of hosts chasing the best PHP/MySQL performance.
    Last edited by Ryan Williams; 04-13-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Don't use a hundred plugins and use caching. I use Hypercache and like it. Try a shared host like HawkHost or MDDHosting who have good reputations, and stay away from the major unlimited hosts. Rochen gives solid performance as well. I have a great VPS from KnownHost that I just don't have the traffic to justify $45 a month. That is the only reason I'm giving it up. I switched my low traffic blogs to HawkHost shared hosting and am just as happy. But if I ever need a VPS, I'll most likely go back to KnownHost. Just something else to think abaout.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

I haven't found cloud hosting to be any more reliable. In fact, it sometimes appears less reliable than a well managed single server based shared product.