Managed vs. Unmanaged

I'm having a hard time deciding between managed and unmanaged hosting. The differences are somewhat vague from the companies.

I've setup servers before and know how to keep up with patches and backups. However they all claim there is better security with the managed servers. What do they mean by better security? What is better about the security. Don't they sit in the same network infrastructure?

Maybe you guys can chime in and help me understand the differences.

Depending on the company you are looking at some mean that managed servers come with cpanel or another control and unmanaged are simply an OS install.. I would ask the companies you are considering what they mean by it.

Also on managed services if something happens to your account they will help you fix it, on unmanaged it is up to you
    Currently hosting with Big Brain Global Networks

Hello Bobby,

First off, I would like to ask, are you referring to managed hosting for a shared hosting environment or are we talking about an actual dedicated server?

In a shared hosting environment managed hosting would mean that the provider will go the extra mile to help troubleshoot any issues you may have that are outside of the hosting service itself. An example of this would be, third party scripts, configurations etc.

In terms of managed hosting for a dedicated server this would entail system administration for services such as: process audits, server monitoring and response, mail, web and ftp administration, log file monitoring, operating system and application patches, hot fixes and services packs. In addition, some providers will even act as a liaison with their client third party vendors to resolve hardware or software issues. An example of this would be (Parallels, cPanel Comodo etc.).

Most of the administration tasks outlined for the dedicated server are regular duties most web hosting providers perform on a regular basis to maintain their existing servers for their shared hosting service.

Hopefully this clears things up and let us know what sort of managed hosting/support you're looking for (shared or in a vps/dedicated environment).

Regards,
    LevelHosting Inc. - Unlimited Web Hosting at your level
    cPanel, CloudLinux, LiteSpeed, RVSiteBuilder Pro, Softaculous and 24/7 Support
    Meeting the demands of high traffic web sites at an affordable price!

....and on "unmanaged" it's up to you to fix 24/7/365. "Managed" should mean that your server is being actively monitored by qualified server admins right around the clock.

If you are experienced go with un-managed, it will save you money. If you are not then go with the managed. Id always recommend un-managed though as i feel it gives you more control.

Different companies have different definitions of what "managed" is. A server is only as secure as you or a tech can make it and it extends far beyond network security. Take for example a popular managed host - WiredTree. They offer their hardening process during provisioning.

http://www.wiredtree.com/supportserv...rvershield.php

Managed hosts generally take care of security for you, such as (all or a portion of) the tasks listed in the above link. If they don't do it by default, they will when requested via a ticket. If you can and know how to do them yourself and maintain your server's security, then go with unmanaged. It's all about how comfortable you feel.

Managed hosts also handle things such as tweaks and optimizations, for example, if you suddenly see a spike in traffic and notice that your server is performing slow, they will help you adjust Apache/PHP/MySQL settings etc. upon asking.

If you do choose to go with a managed provider, make sure to read up on what exactly management covers so there are no surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by LevelHosting Inc View Post
    Hello Bobby,

First off, I would like to ask, are you referring to managed hosting for a shared hosting environment or are we talking about an actual dedicated server?

In a shared hosting environment managed hosting would mean that the provider will go the extra mile to help troubleshoot any issues you may have that are outside of the hosting service itself. An example of this would be, third party scripts, configurations etc.

In terms of managed hosting for a dedicated server this would entail system administration for services such as: process audits, server monitoring and response, mail, web and ftp administration, log file monitoring, operating system and application patches, hot fixes and services packs. In addition, some providers will even act as a liaison with their client third party vendors to resolve hardware or software issues. An example of this would be (Parallels, cPanel Comodo etc.).

Most of the administration tasks outlined for the dedicated server are regular duties most web hosting providers perform on a regular basis to maintain their existing servers for their shared hosting service.

Hopefully this clears things up and let us know what sort of managed hosting/support you're looking for (shared or in a vps/dedicated environment).

Regards,
    Thanks for the reply. I am referring to managed hosting in a vps/dedicated server environment. The problem I'm having here is most companies I've seen list there managed services as

"advanced monitoring"
    "firewall"
    "backup"
    "it management"
    "security"

I'd like to know what exactly they do to meet those expectations.

When checking out the link for the wired tree that was posted, they show what they do, and with all of that, I think the fee for managed would definitely be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Budds View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I am referring to managed hosting in a vps/dedicated server environment. The problem I'm having here is most companies I've seen list there managed services as

"advanced monitoring"
    "firewall"
    "backup"
    "it management"
    "security"

When checking out the link for the wired tree that was posted, they show what they do, and with all of that, I think the fee for managed would definitely be worth it.
    Hello Bobby,

I suppose a simple answer would be, you may find Managed Support/Service providers that are proactive in the sense that, they will install the latest os patches, service packs, critical updates without a single request on your behalf.

Then you have the Managed Support/Service providers that will only perform work upon clients requests only. They're still managing the server of course it's just that if you need to do an update for php, mysql etc they won't make the upgrade unless you request for it.

Depending on the provider you choose your best bet will be to confirm these exact details with them via a ticket or e-mail so you can have something to fall back on regardless of what the website might state.

To answer your other question, most definitely, I would agree that the fee for Manged Support/Services is definitely worth it if you want to focus the majority of your energy and time on driving new revenue. This way, with a Managed Service you can spend less time worrying about the server and infrastructure and more time building traction and running your business whatever it may be.

Best Regards,

Unmanaged gives you more control, but if you dont have time to play on the server get it maneged.

"advanced monitoring"
    "firewall"
    "backup"
    "it management"
    "security"

If you don't know the basics of server hardening, then I recommend you go with a managed service . This way your provider takes care of making sure your server is secure and will not end up hacked in 2 hours.
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee U.S.A Based & Operated
    Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

Quote Originally Posted by deggimatt View Post
    Unmanaged gives you more control, but if you dont have time to play on the server get it maneged.
    I wouldn't necessarily say this statement is true. Whether the dedicated server your leasing is unmanaged or managed you still have the same ownership, rights and access regardless. The main difference is that with the unmanaged server you would be solely responsible for configuring, securing and fine tuning your machine.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by HostLeet View Post
    If you don't know the basics of server hardening, then I recommend you go with a managed service . This way your provider takes care of making sure your server is secure and will not end up hacked in 2 hours.
    I don't know the basics of server hardening yet, so it probably would be a better idea for me to go with managed.

Thanks to everyone who contributed in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by deggimatt View Post
    That's correct, providers don't usually give you root access to fully managed servers.
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

Unanaged = you're pretty much on your own. The provider only has to make sure that the server and network is up. Hardware is replaced as normal.

Managed = the provider should be able to help you with anything.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by THAMAN View Post
    That's correct, providers don't usually give you root access to fully managed servers.
    Just curious, which providers do you know of, do not provide root access for managed servers? In my experience, I wouldn't say they "usually" don't give root access, but the contrary.

I've setup servers before and know how to keep up with patches and backups. However they all claim there is better security with the managed servers. What do they mean by better security? What is better about the security. Don't they sit in the same network infrastructure?
    It's only better security if your host is better at securing the system than you are. You defiantly have more motivation to keep the system secure, so if you know what you're doing, go unmanaged.

Having enough skills and technical resources I believe unmanaged servers are more reasonable to get. In all other cases managed servers are better.