Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sales not coming in :( What can I do?

Hey WHT'rs

Right, so I have recently opened a VPS Host, running 2 nodes, one in the UK one in the US. Had a few adverts on WHT, and my prices are pretty budget, as the budget market is my target. I have yet to get any sales. How can I improve this? What can I do?

Thanks Guys!
    TheHostGuys.co.uk - We price match any UK Based Hosting Business!
    Company Number - 09177361
    VAT Reg No - 195 5495 57
    AS Number - AS201033 (We are a fully registered RIPE LIR)

Hi Jack!

How long have you been in business?

I don't mean to offend you with this, but first you must get a unique layout that is for your business. This is how users remember you. A lot of users will come to your site and see that the template you are using is used by thousands of other hosts and they will think you are unprofessional and wont buy.

- Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    Hi Jack!

How long have you been in business?

I don't mean to offend you with this, but first you must get a unique layout that is for your business. This is how users remember you. A lot of users will come to your site and see that the template you are using is used by thousands of other hosts and they will think you are unprofessional and wont buy.

- Daniel

Hi Dan!

Thanks for your input,
    We have been up for around a month, and I agree about the template, the issue is im stuck for money, and don't want to splash on a template if im not going to make sales ... Money is hard
    Last edited by THG-JD; 04-12-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Typo
    VAT Reg No - 195 5495 57

Nice website actually but Daniel said this is a template which I'm not familiar. If that is true then I agree to him that you at least create your own identity.

I have a question, since I check your pricing table and it says US Location - Free! - what do you mean by this? Is it really free?
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDavies768 View Post
    Hi Dan!

Thanks for your input,
    We have been up for around a month, and I agree about the template, the issue is im stuck for money, and don't want to splash on a template if im not going to make sales ... Money is hard
    Then you need to start posting more on forums and have aggressive pricing .

- Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Yujin View Post
    Nice website actually but Daniel said this is a template which I'm not familiar. If that is true then I agree to him that you at least create your own identity.

I have a question, since I check your pricing table and it says US Location - Free! - what do you mean by this? Is it really free?
    Im going to correct this now, its basically supposed to say Included, as we charge a slight fee to put people on our UK infrastructure.

--Edit -- Corrected
    VAT Reg No - 195 5495 57

Im going to correct this now, its basically supposed to say Included, as we charge a slight fee to put people on our UK infrastructure.

--Edit -- Corrected

Great! Another suggestion. Do you might want to improve your WHT signature. Make it noticeable and include your biz registration number which I notice most of the time to UK providers. It gives additional points and trust.

---------

EDIT: Also your Client Area it seems that this is not a secured page or maybe I'm wrong.
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

Quote Originally Posted by Yujin View Post
    Great! Another suggestion. Do you might want to improve your WHT signature. Make it noticeable and include your biz registration number which I notice most of the time to UK providers. It gives additional points and trust.

---------

EDIT: Also your Client Area it seems that this is not a secured page or maybe I'm wrong.
    Sounds like a good idea Yujin, Ill get this done shortly.
    VAT Reg No - 195 5495 57

Price isn't everything. You need to build up a good reputation for the next couple of months / years and then things will go better.

It's easy getting a good reputation but even harder to maintain it. Make sure you have the patience also, sales don't come in after day 1
    With us it took over a year to get the first 'decent' sales coming in.
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

Quote Originally Posted by ServerBoost View Post
    Price isn't everything. You need to build up a good reputation for the next couple of months / years and then things will go better.

It's easy getting a good reputation but even harder to maintain it. Make sure you have the patience also, sales don't come in after day 1
    With us it took over a year to get the first 'decent' sales coming in.
    Thanks for that feedback
    VAT Reg No - 195 5495 57

Hey WHT'rs

Right, so I have recently opened a VPS Host, running 2 nodes, one in the UK one in the US. Had a few adverts on WHT, and my prices are pretty budget, as the budget market is my target. I have yet to get any sales. How can I improve this? What can I do?

Thanks Guys!
    The first two things to think about are "How are you different?" and "What can you do to make the signup process as easy as possible?" Start by reading the book "Different" which you can buy at Amazon. Right now, you have a "me-too" style website that looks and sounds like a lot of other VPS hosts. Who are you trying to sell to? (be very specific) What makes your business different from those hosts? Why is that difference important to the end users you are trying to sell to?

Then look at signup issues. One thing I noticed is that you are a UK company that charges extra for UK hosting. Regardless of what your costs are, it is silly to pass on a higher cost to UK customers if they are your main target audience. That is probably causing some confusion for people. If nothing else, raise the rate for the US VPS plans so US and UK are the same rate. That will eliminate the confusion.

Next, click on your own signup link and think like an end user. In your case, you are selling VPS plans but the first thing your signup form asks about is a domain name. That is the typical shared hosting signup process first step, but that does not really translate into the typical VPS sale. Streamline the signup process. Only gather the information you need fro mthe user. Don't bog the user down with steps like choosing a domain name when they order a VPS. Some VPS will not need a domain name. Others will host many. In either case, end users will not be sure what to type into that first step.

Beyond that, give the user options to pay monthly and yearly. Right now, you only have an option to pay monthly. That is going to eat away much of your profits and some users won't want to hassle with paying each month for cheap budget hosting.

Under the Configure Server section, give users some helpful information about how to properly fill out that section. End users might not know what to enter into each field. Also give them some user friendly tips about which OS to select and why. Don't expect end users to magically know the answer to each question.

Think of a signup form as a quiz that you want everybody to be able to ace with little or no effort. If it is a quiz that requires some thought and research, most end users will give up and look elsewhere.
    Last edited by NoSupportLinuxHostin; 04-12-2011 at 02:12 PM.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by NoSupportLinuxHostin View Post
    The first two things to think about are "How are you different?" and "What can you do to make the signup process as easy as possible?" Start by reading the book "Different" which you can buy at Amazon. Right now, you have a "me-too" style website that looks and sounds like a lot of other VPS hosts. Who are you trying to sell to? (be very specific) What makes your business different from those hosts? Why is that difference important to the end users you are trying to sell to?

Then look at signup issues. One thing I noticed is that you are a UK company that charges extra for UK hosting. Regardless of what your costs are, it is silly to pass on a higher cost to UK customers if they are your main target audience. That is probably causing some confusion for people. If nothing else, raise the rate for the US VPS plans so US and UK are the same rate. That will eliminate the confusion.

Next, click on your own signup link and think like an end user. In your case, you are selling VPS plans but the first thing your signup form asks about is a domain name. That is the typical shared hosting signup process first step, but that does not really translate into the typical VPS sale. Streamline the signup process. Only gather the information you need fro mthe user. Don't bog the user down with steps like choosing a domain name when they order a VPS. Some VPS will not need a domain name. Others will host many. In either case, end users will not be sure what to type into that first step.

Beyond that, give the user options to pay monthly and yearly. Right now, you only have an option to pay monthly. That is going to eat away much of your profits and some users won't want to hassle with paying each month for cheap budget hosting.

Under the Configure Server section, give users some helpful information about how to properly fill out that section. End users might not know what to enter into each field. Also give them some user friendly tips about which OS to select and why. Don't expect end users to magically know the answer to each question.

Think of a signup form as a quiz that you want everybody to be able to ace with little or no effort. If it is a quiz that requires some thought and research, most end users will give up and look elsewhere.
    Wow... Thank you so much for that input!

I will take this onboard
    VAT Reg No - 195 5495 57

I'd suggest getting a proper office address listed on your website in order to comply with the Business Names Act. More worryingly, you need to update your WHOIS records to show a proper business address - at the moment you've got the opt-out enabled for non-trading individuals, which does not inspire confidence.

The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their address omitted from the WHOIS service.
    http://whois.domaintools.com/thehostguys.co.uk
    Who does the Business Names Act apply to?
    It applies to:
    • a company which trades under a name which is not its corporate name, for example, 'XYZ Limited' trading as 'Fish Antiques';
    • a partnership which does not trade under the names of all the partners;
    • an individual who trades under a name which is not his or her surname. It makes no difference whether the individual's first names or initials are added. So the Act would apply to Mr JQZ Singh if he traded as 'Singh Antiques' but not if he traded as 'Singh' or 'JQZ Singh'.

What details must be disclosed about a business?
    You will need to disclose (as appropriate):
    • the corporate name; or
    • the name of each partner; or
    • the individual person's name; and in relation to each person named, an address at which documents can be served.

Where must this information be shown?
    You will need to show the information clearly in all the places where you carry on your business and where you deal with customers or suppliers;
    • business letters;
    • websites;
    • written orders for the supply of goods or services;
    • invoices and receipts;
    • written demands for the payment of business debts.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/7

Curious, what happened to fusedweb.co.uk -- assuming that was your other entity.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Curious, what happened to fusedweb.co.uk -- assuming that was your other entity.
    Hi there, this was sold last year.
    VAT Reg No - 195 5495 57

Your biting off much more then you can chew. Start local then get bigger. Buy a pack of A4 paper, print some simple posters and put them in local shops windows.

Internet advertising is something you do later on, you have no credibility. Why should a client choose you (A month old) who although may have finacial support, has no history in the industry over HostGator who is very popular, successful and has enough money to keep running for several months without any clients paying.
    That is my suggestion for you to start getting some business. Printer = £34.99 / A4 = £5.99 / Advertising in Shops = £5 - £10 per week or free... But ask first
    Last edited by josephgarbett; 04-12-2011 at 06:17 PM.
    Garbott Ltd - Exceptional web development, hosting & consultancy services

Hey WHT'rs

Thanks Guys!
    Just out of curiosity what adverts are your referring too? Do you mean like banner ads, forum stickies, or just threads in the offer section?

Do you have USP? If so, focus on this and push this strongly in your ad messages!
    Bannaz™ | Amazing Banner Ad Designer!
    Need banners? Visit our Website
    New Facebook Banner Ads! Bannaz.com/facebook

Quote Originally Posted by PogiWeb View Post
    Just out of curiosity what adverts are your referring too? Do you mean like banner ads, forum stickies, or just threads in the offer section?
    Hi there,

im referring to threads I have made in the advertising section.
    VAT Reg No - 195 5495 57

post in WHT of advertising section and find some webdesigners add themas friend in facebook in all these way can make some good sales

Developing a brand associated with a quality service doesn't happen overnight. We're about to celebrate our 1st year in business at the end of this month, and I can honestly say things were rather slow at first, but once you have a have a set plan and stick with it things do pick up and become better.
    [ IncogNET LLC ] Privacy By Design [Liberty Lake, WA][Kansas City, MO][Allentown, PA][Naaldwijk, NL]
    [ Web Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names | VPN | Censorship Resistance ]
    Services provided in the United States and Netherlands with privacy and freedom of speech being our top priority.

From my experience as a Sales/Marketing Senior. I've found that being up to date on all other company's helps when I'm setting up prices. Discounts, Special deals. The main goal I do daily is wake up drink that coffee and find the sites with the most gossip. After that its a cake walk down hill, target the forums. Get in there, and post what you know to reply to other people. If they got a problem show them you are more then able to deal with it. Supporting and giving free information will go along way when finding you can be a Provider for anyone.

Keep a low key on your goals but also aim for the moon when trying to do so. Get in on the newsletters from Hosting sites, know what the pricing and retails are. Know the ends and outs of every dark-hole and how to go about becoming one of the top sellers. Climb that rock, and get there with some foot work and hard grinding. pays off in the end.

Hi there,

im referring to threads I have made in the advertising section.
    Hey Jack,

It sounds like you did make a small start in marketing your company, but you really need to do more. Yes, making a new thread is a great way to advertise your services, but don't forget your signature, google adwords, newspaper, word of mouth, business cards, and etc. The majority of these methods of course require money to burn, but hopefully in the long run it will help build your brand and customer base.

Can I just ask a question about your "Advanced Package" or maybe it's more a suggestion.

It says "350GB Storage" and then it has 1000GB Traffic, that doesn't really match. 350GB sounds too good to be true for me but then I'm only allowed to up-/download that ~3 times. That looks fishy to me.

Prices are very low (good), site looks good -- I have seen it before, but I like it. Some text could be better though.

Maybe advertise on lowendbox.com ?

Once upon a time I owned a host too. We had a blog on the site that was actually a huge hit....however I have a few comments about yours (thehostguys.wordpress.com):

1) If you're going to use a blog, make sure you use it consistently. So far so good, just keep that up.

2) If your going to use a blog, in English, you need to actually show that you know proper English.

"We are finally open! The sites complete and everything,

here is a lil something i wrote ealier:

So, This weekend I’m off on business again, got to work on TheHostGuys."
    I mean no disrespect to you, but reading that makes me think you are a 13 year old boy. If you want to seem professional in the blog, make sure you are actually wording things professionally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast