How to know which you're on? VPS and Dedicated Server?

Hi guys!

I've just been asked this question and well... to tell you the truth, after being in the market for such a long time, I still have no idea how we could determine if we are actually on a VPS or a Dedicated Server.

It's kinda a funny thing coz a customer of mine actually asked me about it and I don't really know how to tell the difference between VPS and a Dedi Server.

So if anyone out there has an idea of how you could actually determine or know if you're on a Dedicated Server or if you're actually on a VPS, please do tell me as I would like to know how to answer this question in future.

Good question,

I'd say it depends on what kind of software you are using. I guess an easy one would be is the Cpanel license type, although brand able and such if it says vps (Because its cheaper) then you may possibly be on a vps. Hope i helped a litte.

Let us say that it's an empty box. Totally NOTHING on the server. Just an OS. Either Windows or Linux. Doesn't really matter.

What would be the way to determine which you are on? VPS or Dedicated Server?

Ask the company directly - should be no reason to hide this from customers.
    Last edited by SercoNetworks; 04-12-2011 at 07:43 AM.

In a VPS there will only be one partition and you shouldn't be able to create another.

Quote Originally Posted by CheetahHostdotNet View Post
    Good question,

I'd say it depends on what kind of software you are using. I guess an easy one would be is the Cpanel license type, although brand able and such if it says vps (Because its cheaper) then you may possibly be on a vps. Hope i helped a litte.
    I do not think that this advise will work as these days liquidweb, Iweb offer smart servers for which only VPS Optimized cPanel license is issued till now Config's of smart servers are equivalent to DS but cPanel is issued with VPS Optimized?? , for this reason I think it is very difficult to figure out the difference.

Will follow this thread to learn something of interest, if any one shares something
    █ l Host Monsterz Pvt Ltd • Superb Support Network • DES 64 bit Secured Network
    l Linux Shared/Reseller Hosting • Virtual Server • Dedicated Server • cPanel®
    █ l Nginx • Softaculous • Fantastico • RVSite Builder • WHMCS • 24x7 Available Server Admin
    l Premium Managed VPS • Reliable & Sustainable • Instant Setup • Raid Drives

I'm not sure about Windows, but some good diagnostic checks under Linux:

cat /proc/user_beancounters ; only exists on OpenVZ/Virtuozzo VPSes;
    dmesg | grep QEMU ; several virtualization technologies use Qemu;
    grep Xen /var/log/dmesg ; Xen usually seems to identify itself as the BIOS type;
    ls -al /boot ; Linux-vServer doesn't seem to provide /boot (among other things);
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

I do not think that this advise will work as these days liquidweb, Iweb offer smart servers for which only VPS Optimized cPanel license is issued till now Config's of smart servers are equivalent to DS but cPanel is issued with VPS Optimized?? , for this reason I think it is very difficult to figure out the difference.
    cPanel is supposed to fix this shortly.
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

hostmonsterz has a very valid point, some providers are offering dedicated servers as a "huge" vps like iWeb. So the best thing to do is ask the provider.
    StableHost.com - Home to over 23,000 websites.
    Contact us: 866.945.6952
    Offering: 24/7/365 Support, Web Builder and Softaculous.
    Read over 100+ reviews about us at RateLobby!

Your solution I think should just be to ask the provider. They should tell you this with no problems.

i definitely agree

The invoice will also say what the host may tell you, but that doesn't verify that you're getting what you are paying for.

It's not about asking the provider or not. I'm just wondering how you could tell them apart? That's all...

Asking the provider, invoice and etc. All that is signs of asking but apart from that, is there a way to find out without asking the provider? That's my real question.

As you were already advised:
    cat /proc/user_beancounters
    If this file exists, you are on an OpenVZ VPS
    If it doesn't exist: do "lspci" and paste the results here. We will tell you if it is real hardware.

edit: also cat /proc/cpuinfo

How about windows?
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

IMO In a virtual environment using another virtualization product under a guest OS would create problems. So i believe it is one of the possible however challanging ways to verify what kind of server provided for you.

I confirmed this with earlier releases of VMware, not sure could be applied to recent releases.