Looking for a dedicated server

Hi,

I'm looking for a dedicated server and to be honest, I'm quite overwhelmed with the amount of data that's available here... I would really like some pointers to good, reliable dedicated server hosting companies that have had good reviews in the past few years.

My requirements are a basic dedicated server (Even an Atom D510 could be fine) with 1-2GB of RAM and located in New Jersey.

My budget is quite minimal unfortunately, and I would be happy to get something under 100$ a month.

VPS is not an option unfortunately, since CPU latency should be kept to a minimum and I wouldn't want to have spikes.

I always prefer recommendations and personal experiences rather than generic reviews so please share your thoughts on any providers you're working with...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sphinxy View Post
    VPS is not an option unfortunately, since CPU latency should be kept to a minimum and I wouldn't want to have spikes.
    From personal experience, this won't be a problem provided you go for a quality VPS host (none of those $5/mo budget-types).
    Don't dismiss this option so quickly due to the bad rep from some hosts mismanaging VPSes; they can be far more versatile, capable and reliable than you think.

Here you go: http://interserver.net/custom-manage...d-servers.html
    They are located in New Jersey and have Atom for $39/mo.
    For reviews, search this forum.
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

Thanks for the quick replies.

I need minimum bandwidth, even 500GB / mo would be enough.
    And 2 IPs should be enough for me.
    It's for making remote CPU calculations, hence bandwidth isn't a problem.

Thanks again!

As for VPS, I still think that it would be a more reliable solution to have a dedicated server running...
    You're right about the fact I mostly read bad reviews on VPS ;-)

If those are heavy calculations, an Atom unfortunately won't do you much good.

You are limiting yourself quite a lot if you're sticking to New Jersey. If bandwidth isn't imperative, you should be fine in just about any reputable data center in USA, Canada or even Europe.

Interserver does look like a good solution.
    I will try to read some more about them.

Thanks for that!

I did note that they don't seem to have a remote reboot port / KVM over IP. Do you think I should be worried about that? Or am I asking for too much?
    Last edited by sphinxy; 04-12-2011 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sphinxy View Post
    Interserver does look like a good solution.
    I will try to read some more about them.

Thanks for that!

I did note that they don't seem to have a remote reboot port / KVM over IP. Do you think I should be worried about that? Or am I asking for too much?
    Remote reboot ports are already rare in sub-100 servers, KVM are even rarer.
    At Interserver's price point, you're indeed asking for too much.

It might be useful checking these forums, there are reviews posted each week
    Also have a look in the advertising section for hosting offers.
    www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime