Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Setting up my own cloud

Hello.

I would like to set up my own cloud system for hosting my webservers.

I would like my database server to run solaris,
    and everything run on ubuntu or debian, unless someone can advice otherwise.

Now, the things I would like to ask is:

Is it possible to setup a cloud using solaris server for DB and everything else ubuntu / debian.

How would I set it up? (Should I use eucalyptus)?

Have you looked into ESXi? OnApp? Cloud.com? etc?

To answer your other questions though, yes. You do realize there is a hefty initial investment to start your own cloud, if done right, correct?
    Jacob Wall

Yes I very well do realize, that's why for setting it up, I will use a test enviroment first and see how everything runs...

Quote Originally Posted by Kjao View Post
    Yes I very well do realize, that's why for setting it up, I will use a test enviroment first and see how everything runs...
    Since you don't seem to be a host, I would suggest you look into using ESXi, Xenserver, or cloud.com. Those are going to be your three best bets as OnApp is geared more towards hosts.

Since nearly all cloud providers use just a modified version of xen, you can run whatever OS you want. Is there a reason you want to use Ubuntu? I've never liked the fact they're so "bleeding edge" which means they have issues. Why not just simply everything and use CentOS?
    Jacob Wall

Because from what I've been told and convinced, as a webserver, ubuntu or debian SHOULD be the "best" for PHP...

Because from what I've been told and convinced, as a webserver, ubuntu or debian SHOULD be the "best" for PHP...
    It all comes down to personal opinion, but I rarely see servers that are running debian/ubuntu. Usually it's always RHEL or CentOS(which is RHEL based).
    Jacob Wall

I see... But anyhow, on your comment on me not being a host, that's why I'm here I WANT to be a host, and I want to do it right. I will look into RHEL and CentOS tho, thanks for the tip.

I see... But anyhow, on your comment on me not being a host, that's why I'm here I WANT to be a host, and I want to do it right. I will look into RHEL and CentOS tho, thanks for the tip.
    How much are you willing to invest into this cloud host?

A "good" setup is going to cost you near $100,000. I don't mean to start a debate, but I am sick of seeing people buy these $10k "SANs" that they built and expect redundancy and speed of say a NetApp or Equalogic.

/end_rant

I suggest that you look into OnApp then, it's got it's own quirks and is by no means perfect but it's the best solution imo right now for hosts.
    Jacob Wall

Now my could, will only host my own sites, and a few others, I mean to work as a developer offering my own clients a place to be. Not to work is a dedicated host only, but maybe that's what you meant by saying I'm no host my bad.

Now my could, will only host my own sites, and a few others, I mean to work as a developer offering my own clients a place to be. Not to work is a dedicated host only, but maybe that's what you meant by saying I'm no host my bad.
    Why not look into just buying cloud servers?

Linode
    Rackspace Cloud
    VPS.net

The lists goes on, but those are the three that I would recommend to people. By no means are any of the three perfect, each has its downfalls but they're for the most part pretty solid.
    Jacob Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Wall View Post
    It all comes down to personal opinion, but I rarely see servers that are running debian/ubuntu. Usually it's always RHEL or CentOS(which is RHEL based).
    I disagree. Although CentOS is really popular in the webhosting world as the standard distro to run CPanel on, the story can be different in other environments. CentOS is still the RedHat substitute of choice, but more experienced sysadmins tend to prefer Debian for the lighter weight base install, larger number of packages, better handling of the package management, and more consistency across major versions. It's a lot less work to maintain a large deployment of several servers using Debian than it is CentOS. It's also a lot easier to create and maintain your own .deb's than .rpm's.
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    AS63213 Cost Effective High Performance Network (Cogent, HE, GTT/Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

It all comes down to personal opinion, but I rarely see servers that are running debian/ubuntu
    I rarely see anything other, since we deploy Ubuntu LTS (5 Year supported) on all our servers now and used to deploy Debian. Most isp's in nz use debian based, at least the ones I know and have worked with.
    Not had any issues at all running LTS versions and definitely prefer debian/apt over rhel/centos and yummy yummy yumm

Of course depends on what control panel you're using or going to use, as well though.

Alright, let me see if I got this right.
    I set up a cloud system based on debian etc. and install a VM running solaris for database system, and then refer to it from it's local IP?

Also, if I set up an eucalyptus cloud, do I need to give it the resources it needs to run, or will it just pull whatever power it needs from the nodes whenever it needs it?

I mean, automatically give more ram or cpu or whatever if needed?

Alright, let me see if I got this right.
    I set up a cloud system based on debian etc. and install a VM running solaris for database system, and then refer to it from it's local IP?

Also, if I set up an eucalyptus cloud, do I need to give it the resources it needs to run, or will it just pull whatever power it needs from the nodes whenever it needs it?

I mean, automatically give more ram or cpu or whatever if needed?
    I've honestly never heard of eucalyptus, so when it comes to specific things about eucalyptus I can't say anything. I'll speak "in general" though.

By local IP, are we talking internal? Sure. That's probably a smart thing to do after you're setup since it is a database server.

You'll need to assign it resources, I don't know which cloud platforms, besides onapp, will scale up as the VM needs. The issue is that scaling up you'll need to reboot, how OnApp got it to work w/o rebooting on certain OS's is beyond me. I'd love to know the technical aspects on how that was achieved.
    Jacob Wall

Yeah, the thing I would LOVE to achieve is an automaticly scaling system, however limited ofcourse, so a DDoS etc. won't just eat up everything. I've heard this CAN be acheived just not how...

Yeah, the thing I would LOVE to achieve is an automaticly scaling system, however limited ofcourse, so a DDoS etc. won't just eat up everything. I've heard this CAN be acheived just not how...
    It's possible, just build scripts within the VM that check resource usage. Call the eucalyptus server(s) and ask for an upgrade via the API. I'm sure they have one, again I am speaking in general as I have zero experience with eucalyptus.

Is there a reason you want to use eucalyptus over other options? I'm curious, I haven't had much time to look into them so I don't know if there's an advantage that eucalyptus gives you that the others don't give.
    Jacob Wall

Not really, I am still looking into other options, Eucalyptus is just very well documented and looks fairly easy to set up... Also it's open source.

Not really, I am still looking into other options, Eucalyptus is just very well documented and looks fairly easy to set up... Also it's open source.
    I'd look into http://www.openstack.org/ if you're wanting something open source.
    Jacob Wall

Eucalyptus unfortunately doesn't scale well - look at Openstack instead.
    Openstack will replace eucalyptus in ubuntu as well..
    http://cloud.ubuntu.com/2011/03/comi...ctus%E2%80%A6/

Thanks! I will look into that. On the part of scaling on eucalyptus, it uses the Amazon Elastic Load Balancer... It sounds fairly well, but I will defiently look into Openstack!

Uhm, also, It looks like I will need 2 switches.I am thinking 2x Cisco 3500 24 port switches, like these:

http://www.cablesandkits.com/cisco-3...en-p-1419.html

Will they be suitable for a small business cloud?

You'll need at least gigabit for a decent cloud internal/storage network and depending what you do, maybe even 10Gbe .. or infiniband. For a simple few machine setup with machines running on local disk, then your 100Mbps switches might do ok. Of course you need to match your uplink speed for public addresses. Eucalyptus is basically a framework of tools to deploy and manage 'the cloud' - doesn't have anything to do with amazons elastic load balancing. It was only ever intended for private cloud as well, rather than public, so security is an issue you want to watch carefully. Really, I think you would be better to deploy openstack, but it still does use some of the eucalyptus stuff for provisioning etc.

Good luck!

Kjao;

Just dropping by to wish you the best in building your own cloud. The main development issue that I have found while trying some what the same thing is in your heart, you must develop the heart of a scientist. Experimentation is the word of the day.

BTW; The switches you mentioned are not what you need. For cloud development, buy the hottest parts on the market now, by the time you deploy it will all be dog slow in comparison to the then available equipment. Have fun, it is an E-Ticket ride with a price tag to match.

We started a project to build our own cloud about a year ago - Several racks of hot (then anyway) Dell servers, Sun SAN's, KVM software and all of the requisite paraphernalia. We got it running but soon found the answers to questions that we forgot to ask. About a month ago we started rebuilding the servers, moving in EqualLogic SAN's and starting over with VMware. Fun, fun, fun...

IBM is coming out with what appear to be very good offerings...

Edit: You may want to look into a company named Tintri, I do not know them yet but the concept looks promising...
    Last edited by srfreeman; 04-13-2011 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Added info

Uhm, also, It looks like I will need 2 switches.I am thinking 2x Cisco 3500 24 port switches, like these:

http://www.cablesandkits.com/cisco-3...en-p-1419.html

Will they be suitable for a small business cloud?
    I'll let you in on my setup, it has nothing to do with my employer though. I suggest you really think over how much you're spending on equipment. If you're only going to spend $65 on a switch, you're on the wrong planet in this industry.

Public Network - 2960S-48TS-L
    Private Network - HP2848

Do not forget to get a switch for your private network that support jumbo frames, there is a significant performance increase if you have jumbo frames.
    Jacob Wall

I personally use VPS.NET for Cloud; however I remember seeing something about this on a episode of Hak5.... I will try and look it up...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast