PhotonVPS review - the most honest and caring company

well i have been doing alot of research on VPS and i find non comparable to PhotonVPS, i have been with them for over 9months and its has been the best hosting provider that ever had and when comparing with vps provider non can come close to its speed, value for your price, and feature. i decided to write this review because after they have so greate to me the least i can do is write a review about them, i have warp 2 xen vps plan on askgetanswer.com, i had very few less 20 minute down time once or twice and thier setup take time when you sign up with them. other than that they are greate i wish them the best

Thanks for the review

Keep us updated

thanks for the review, even though i'm not their client, but from the price point of view, you buy good service too

Yeah, they're good, except that someone complaint about slow ticket response.
    vpsoffers.com - a modest place for vps offers by sim so dep

Quote Originally Posted by lovelycesar View Post
    Yeah, they're good, except that someone complaint about slow ticket response.
    well i had over 30 ticket help most got response within 1 hour to 3 hours and some within minuts, but who know some time they might have lazy employee.. but still better any vps, i sign up joesdatcenter once and close it right a way after not getting response for two three days

Good to know that they have been wonderful for you. I would like to hear an update after completing 1 year with them. Thanks for the review.

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    Good to know that they have been wonderful for you. I would like to hear an update after completing 1 year with them. Thanks for the review.
    sure i will if dont get busy and forget about this post

I do not agree with this post. I've bought their VPS recently and I am EXTREMELY dissatisfied with their support team. Apparently they failed to read customer's post properly and giving out unreasonable solutions.

I asked them to add a kernel module for me (xfrm_user specifically) to enable using IPSec in the user space. Also because my server disabled root login over ssh and requires public/private key pairs, I mentioned this in my ticket and offered them access via console.

And this ended up with deleting the eth0 inferface on my VPS which makes it inaccessible from outside, and they said they copied "all modules" while I still can't find them in place.

I've been a user from RamHost since 2010, and also used RapidXen and HostMist but none of their support team is like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hamdi123 View Post
    well i have been doing alot of research on VPS and i find non comparable to PhotonVPS, i have been with them for over 9months and its has been the best hosting provider that ever had and when comparing with vps provider non can come close to its speed, value for your price, and feature. i decided to write this review because after they have so greate to me the least i can do is write a review about them, i have warp 2 xen vps plan on askgetanswer.com, i had very few less 20 minute down time once or twice and thier setup take time when you sign up with them. other than that they are greate i wish them the best
    Really happy about you!

Quote Originally Posted by RaidenII View Post
    I do not agree with this post. I've bought their VPS recently and I am EXTREMELY dissatisfied with their support team. Apparently they failed to read customer's post properly and giving out unreasonable solutions.

I asked them to add a kernel module for me (xfrm_user specifically) to enable using IPSec in the user space. Also because my server disabled root login over ssh and requires public/private key pairs, I mentioned this in my ticket and offered them access via console.

And this ended up with deleting the eth0 inferface on my VPS which makes it inaccessible from outside, and they said they copied "all modules" while I still can't find them in place.

I've been a user from RamHost since 2010, and also used RapidXen and HostMist but none of their support team is like this.
    well i should mention if you are asking them to do work for you beside setting up your server then its not the company to go with, they set up your vps and that is they will help u with some small request but other then that they do not do more work, but still better then any hosting provider when it comes to cost and speed and even uptime

Quote Originally Posted by HUGOBLUE View Post
    Thanks for the review

Keep us updated
    do you know how i can update my posting?

do you know how i can update my posting?
    On your original post you should have a edit button (Y)
    TheHostGuys.co.uk - We price match any UK Based Hosting Business!
    Company Number - 09177361
    VAT Reg No - 195 5495 57
    AS Number - AS201033 (We are a fully registered RIPE LIR)

AFAIK, you can only edit posts for a set period of time after you make them.

Thank you for the review, keep us updated...
    FusionNET Solutions - US/UK Locations | Adult/IRC Allowed! | DDoS Protected Networks!
    Fusion Powered: Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Dedicated Servers | Native IPv6 Available!
    202-505-HOST | LiteSpeed Support! | Live Web Chat!

I 1000% agree with you!

I also have a XEN VPS with them and never ever had problems.

Their support is also quite fast and caring. A very good company to deal with!!!!!

well after one year hosting with them i got tired of down time, last down time was for three days, and upgrading is hassle they tell u to buy another package, they do not understand english well, i moved alienvps hope this people know what they are doing

Thank you for the update! I am sorry that your experience with them didn't end up so swell.

Oops duplicate post. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by kjetterman View Post
    Thank you for the update! I am sorry that your experience with them didn't end up so swell.
    What issue did you have? If you PM your ticket number I'll be glad to look into it for you.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | GigePipe - High Bandwidth Servers | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    Los Angeles, CA (US West) | Dallas, TX (US East) | Ashburn, VA (US East)

It's nice to hear that you are happy with them, keep us updated.
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by routeandport View Post
    It's nice to hear that you are happy with them, keep us updated.
    Thanks for sharing your experience.
    well after one year hosting with them i got tired of down time, last down time was for three days, and upgrading is hassle they tell u to buy another package, they do not understand english well, i moved alienvps hope this people know what they are doing

I'm with AlienVPS as well Too bad your experience with PhotonVPS didnt end as good as your earlier 9 months I was going to purchase from PhotonVPS but after reading this, Im now having second thoughts..I do hope you get to sort out your problems with them

I have 7 Beam VPS with them. Uptime is good for normal-traffic website and email server.

Based on experience, set up of VPS from ordering to emailing of server information ranges from 6 Hours to more than 10 hours. Seems too long compared to other VPS provider; Notes during the order are not taken cared of.

Support tickets are responded from 5 minutes to several hours; Issues are solved from 5 minutes to more than 24hours.

Some engineers sometimes fail to understand your requests, so you have to re explain further.

Overall - fair price/benefit. I'm still with them for almost 6 months.

We never had 3 days+ downtime if there was downtime this is most likely VPS isolated where resources was required.

The move was necessary from upgrading your plan due to resources were not available on the node you were on. Instead of overselling resources we pride our selves with quality delivery over making a quick buck.

Our benchmarks vs our competitors and our track record of 2 years has shown that we put our customer first. We now release a service known as "service watch" where we watch your ports and sites and react when required. Thus avoiding any "3 day downtime you experience"
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | GigePipe - High Bandwidth Servers | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes

It's unfortunate that I have to post this, but my experience with PhotonVPS has been *so bad* that I need to post this to keep people away (until they get things fixed).

I have been with PhotonVPS since Nov-2010, so I've had plenty of experience with them.

I have had *9* tickets opened since I've started.

#1: Server setup was taking too long. Basically a fraud check, not a big deal.
    #2: An issue with THEIR website. Their response asked for MY server's admin user id/password. Nice. Did they even READ my ticket or do they just have a canned response?
    #3: Windows wasn't activated. A minor issue.
    #4: Billing issue. (I have tried for 6 months to pay with American Express, and it fails each and every time - still no resolution. Yes, I tried several cards.)
    #5: More billing issues.
    #6: Server down, wouldn't come back up. Why? Because they decided to move my VPS to new hardware AND NOT TELL ME ABOUT IT. My clients were pissed.
    #7: Server kept reverting to Hong Kong timezone (as it was since day 1). No matter what I did, it would change back and screw up my database. STILL not resolved. I finally just gave up and stopped tracking it.
    #8: Server down, multiple times. Again.
    #9: Server down, multiple times. Again.

Now, they usually reply *very* quick, but it's always in broken English, and it's always a "nothing is wrong" reply.

I have installed and currently support 19 servers, so I can say I know what I'm doing with them. Several of them are with Photon.

Needless to say, I have had problems, after problems. The most recent issue is that my server (which has not been modified in MONTHS) started restarting *several* times a day. Today alone is has restarted 5 times. 5 flipping times. My clients on this server are about to fire me. So if I haven't installed/tweaked anything for months, and suddenly it starts to restart 5 times a day, wouldn't you assume it's a physical host issue?

I asked for help, and I get responses like this:

"We have seen your vps is working fine if you still have any more issue please let us know login details which are you using."

I asked for more information on the physical hardware, and I get things like this:

"We are not able to login with administrator password to your vps but your vps is working fine."

"Working fine" apparently means it reboots great. How about looking into log files on the physical host and tell me what it says about the rebooting? What about helping me track down the problem?

Their solution to the "Hong Kong" timezone issue was to set me up a NEW VPS SERVER and have me REINSTALL EVERYTHING. Really? I just got done spending 2 days getting it installed and tweaked.

One of their replies to me on this was: "We will changed the main nodes some hardware after -23 days". Anyone care to translate for me?

Now, their price was the only thing keeping me here, but now I'm shopping around. I started getting my clients to move their servers over to Photon, but I stopped once I started seeing problems. Now I've got to move them again, so I'm NOT happy. But I'm VERY happy that I didn't move all 19 of them over. And since most of my clients have their own account, I have to get THEM involved. Ouch.

Anyway, I don't know what hardware the other [happy] people in this thread are running on, but I've never been so disappointed with a host in my life. A host needs to have a relationship with their clients if they want to survive.

Sorry Photon, but you've never really resolved any of my issues, and just keep pointing the finger at me. It's really sad, because I was really impressed at the very beginning.

Once I find a new home for my servers, I'll reply back and leave a review.

Have a good evening!

Please PM your ticket IDs and I'll be sure to get to the bottom of this.

Well, here I am again back to this forum. Just wanted to update everyone and let them know how things have progressed over the last couple of months.

Summary in one word: Worse.

I basically have to babysit my servers. They still go down spontaneously, and when they come back up, the server is running so slow that the services time out. Not to mention it sets my clock forward to Hong Kong time. (See previous message for those details)

I attached a picture to visually show you my event log and what it's like.

I've had to signup on a few of those "server watchdog" sites that will ping my server and notify me when it's down or not responding. Once I get a text, I race to the office or home so I can create another ticket and then wait while the server comes back up. Once it's up, I log in and start all of the services that failed because they timed out waiting for the server to startup.

And once again, I get the short, canned messages like:

"Hello We have fixed he issue and vps is working fine."

I have to beg/scream/demand to get any "real" information out of them. The last time the server went down, they said it was because of an attack on the main node. My server was down for quite a while.

However, I will say that I will miss the responsiveness of their support staff, which is always fast. It's just too bad I don't get a "real" answer.

I've asked about the possibility to getting an account credit for all my hassle and they just ignore the request.

I can't even head up to the mountains and relax for a few days, because I'm terrified that my server will go down and my clients won't be able to get a hold of me.

If it wasn't so much of a pain to move to another host, I would have been gone *months* ago, but with all the flooding here in the states I've been rather preoccupied. But now that things have settled down, it's time to start looking for a new host.

UPDATE: They just replied back and offered to move me to another Node, which is more than they've done in a while. What it means to me is hours and hours of work backing up data and serial #'s, then re-installing everything on new hardware. The problem is that they've already done this before, and if they read my history they would know this.

If I am going to spend half my day doing that, why shouldn't I do it on a brand new host? The clock is ticking, Photon. Anyone want to suggest a new VPS host?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shutdowns_screenshot.jpg  

It's hard to say what is going on here since you never PMed me the ticket ID to look into.

Quote Originally Posted by spamdam View Post
    Well, here I am again back to this forum. Just wanted to update everyone and let them know how things have progressed over the last couple of months.
    Could you provide a ticket ID or some other proof that you were there? If you'd rather only tell the moderators privately, please use this link. Thank you.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Sure, I can give ticket numbers. I have a bucket-load of them:

775412,568936,283872,515739,335617,181061,625752, etc

If you want more, let me know - I have plenty for everyone.

Every one of those are SERVER DOWN issues since MARCH. Note that this is a server that has *very* little traffic, and the only time I log in is to patch it when MS releases them.

Oh, and here is the best part to this - MY SERVER IS DOWN AS WE SPEAK. It's been down for HOURS today. It took over 1 1/2 hours to even get a reply about a server down. The ONLY reply I've gotten back from thier tech support so far is them asking for my admin login and password.

WHY DO YOU NEED A PASSWORD WHEN THE FRIGGIN MACHINE IS DOWN? You can't even ping it.

Look, I have clients with Photon VPS accounts, and theirs (which I also maintain) don't have the problems this one has. I also have a server setup nearly identical this this one and it's fine.

And the reason I have not posted the ticket #'s here before, is that I believe that is what Photon's internal ticket tracking system is for. I should NOT have to come out to a public forum to request support. I come here to warn people away when I'm not getting what I'm paying for.

Oh, and their phone # they have listed (626.549.2801) seems like it works when you first call, but then it quickly tells you that the # is invalid.

Well, it's past lunch time and my server is still down from this morning. Let's see how long it takes!

We do apologize for this and will be reviewing your tickets internally to avoid such ill response.

Our internal policy states that any down VPS are taken into priority but this is a violation that occur within our internal process.

As of now the node you were on had issues that were detected and being worked on. All services should be restore, but the fact you were not responded to is simply unacceptable.

Just as an FYI, I have shutdown all of our nodes on Photon and moved somewhere else. Since July when our first server got moved, we have not experienced *a single minute* of unexpected downtime with our new providers (half with Rackspace, half with Amazon). Such a relief. Photon was priced much better, but it's not worth losing my clients over. MY OPINION is that I think they are just overloaded, and that they only have a few people in tech support that really know what they are doing (like Jim, who as least cares and tries). Sorry it didn't work out between us Photon, but I lost too many clients and had to move. Thanks for everyone following this thread - its now over.

Thank you for the review! Good job PhotonVPS

Quote Originally Posted by spamdam View Post
    Just as an FYI, I have shutdown all of our nodes on Photon and moved somewhere else. Since July when our first server got moved, we have not experienced *a single minute* of unexpected downtime with our new providers (half with Rackspace, half with Amazon). Such a relief. Photon was priced much better, but it's not worth losing my clients over. MY OPINION is that I think they are just overloaded, and that they only have a few people in tech support that really know what they are doing (like Jim, who as least cares and tries). Sorry it didn't work out between us Photon, but I lost too many clients and had to move. Thanks for everyone following this thread - its now over.
    Sorry it didn't work out with us, good luck with your new provider though