Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Running a Supportbusiness

    Hi,

    I'm a student looking to make some extra money and since I'm a Linux hobbyist and working part-time maintaining dedicated Linuxservers at a small-to-medium business, where I want to quit, I just wanted to ask, how hard it is to build a own Systemanagement/Supportbusiness.
    I'm not thinking of something big, because I don't have time, since I'm still in school, but of a little business that will give me a revenue of 400-500euro/month (that would be 500-750$/month).

    Do you have any or hints for me?

    regards,

    epsilon

    Edit:

    Sorry, I accidentally put this in the wrong forum, could a moderator please move this to "Running a Web Hosting Business"? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    742
    What do u mean by support business. Like outsourcing ticket support ect?
    Ernie - Enzu Inc.| Managed Infrastructure and Cloud Services
    Public & Private Cloud | Hybrid Cloud | Dedicated Servers | VPS | Colocation
    Los Angeles | Dallas | Chicago | Miami | Asia Optimized Network
    Amazing Reseller Program | Ernie.Quick @ enzu.com| 702-965-1615 x 7040

  3. #3
    What I thought of was being as sysadmin for hire.
    I've seen many advertisements in the advertisement section which offer services like this.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,248
    Server management requires 24/7 availability and this is not something you can do on a part-time basis. Businesses pay you to be available when there is an emergency and cannot afford to wait for you for hours because you are sleeping or are in class.

    I would advise either to find part-time position to an established firm where you will work on a specific shift where you know you are available, or work for one-time jobs.
    HostGamma.com | HostGamma Europe | HostGamma Asia
    USA, Canada, Brazil, UK, Netherlands, HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore and more

  5. #5
    I suppose that first of all you will need to start with creating your resume . Then place the offer that in the marketplace on the related forum.
    Not sure if someone will offer you that salary, but if I were you I would agree to any just in order to get more practice and experience.
    Latter I suppose that would be better to think over higher salary.

  6. #6
    What I was thinking of was looking after a box for a fixed price. (e.g. 50eur/mon)
    And 24/7 availability is not much of a problem, because that's the way it works now, my teachers seem to tolerate that plus notebooks are allowed in most of my classes.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by epsilonsys View Post
    What I was thinking of was looking after a box for a fixed price. (e.g. 50eur/mon)
    And 24/7 availability is not much of a problem, because that's the way it works now, my teachers seem to tolerate that plus notebooks are allowed in most of my classes.
    And you do not mind spend your class time for support? That is not correct approach if you really want become a professional.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberForum View Post
    And you do not mind spend your class time for support? That is not correct approach if you really want become a professional.
    In case of an emergency, no I wouldn't mind.
    But I don't plan on working on scheduled tasks in class, if that's what you mean.

  9. #9
    I do something like that - clients know they don't pay enough for true 24/7 - if they want that, they can hire me full time, and they'll get it. With cell phones now a days it isn't hard to provide close to 24/7 support (the cell is next to my bed on loud), and I never get middle of the night calls, because they know it's my cell number. I tell my clients an emergency signal, for drop what you're doing and answer (text 911 or something), but if they abuse that, they'll lose the privilege just like anyone else.

    Work with local businesses or nonprofits. You can make good money cleaning virus off windows computers too.

  10. #10
    Yeah, cleaning Windozeboxes from virii is not what I want. It's pretty much the same you do, what I want to do.
    Could also do this from my mobile phone, like I do now.

    Could you give me advise on how you got your clients, please?
    I'd like to work with people around the world, so I can improve my spoken and written english.

    regards

    PS: I not some 12 year old, I'm 20 and in college, just to clarify some things.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kshatriya
    Posts
    2,725

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by epsilonsys View Post
    Hi,

    I'm a student looking to make some extra money and since I'm a Linux hobbyist and working part-time maintaining dedicated Linuxservers at a small-to-medium business, where I want to quit, I just wanted to ask, how hard it is to build a own Systemanagement/Supportbusiness.
    I'm not thinking of something big, because I don't have time, since I'm still in school, but of a little business that will give me a revenue of 400-500euro/month (that would be 500-750$/month).

    Do you have any or hints for me?

    regards,

    epsilon

    Edit:

    Sorry, I accidentally put this in the wrong forum, could a moderator please move this to "Running a Web Hosting Business"? Thanks!
    Difficult but you need to provide 24/7 live support, for attracting clients you also need to provide live chat support on your own site.
    Dewlance® Cheap Windows VPS - Chicago/Orlando/Vegas/AZ - SSD
    WHMCS ReadyMadeKB - Tutorials for cPanel/InterWorx/Softaculous& Growing..
    Super Cheap Annually Shared Hosting - Canada/US/UK

  12. #12
    No, I didn't mean first level support.

    What I meant was some thing like this:

    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1037344

    I should have called this thread "Running a Systemmanagementbusiness".

    regards

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by epsilonsys View Post
    Yeah, cleaning Windozeboxes from virii is not what I want. It's pretty much the same you do, what I want to do.
    Could also do this from my mobile phone, like I do now.

    Could you give me advise on how you got your clients, please?
    I'd like to work with people around the world, so I can improve my spoken and written english.

    regards

    PS: I not some 12 year old, I'm 20 and in college, just to clarify some things.
    My clients are nonprofits, I started by doing volunteer work for them, because I support their causes. They came to realize I was competent, trustworthy, and indispensable. When they asked if I could do some big jobs for them I asked them to pay me and they decided I was worth it. If that helps. Cleaning windows boxes of virii is how I started, it's a great way in the door. Building trust is process, it takes time. Start with people you know, who already trust you somewhat.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by cycomholdings View Post
    Server management requires 24/7 availability and this is not something you can do on a part-time basis. Businesses pay you to be available when there is an emergency and cannot afford to wait for you for hours because you are sleeping or are in class.

    I would advise either to find part-time position to an established firm where you will work on a specific shift where you know you are available, or work for one-time jobs.
    Your not allowed to sleep? xD

Similar Threads

  1. How can I switch Linux running OS from disk to running from RAM without restarting?
    By vpsbuster in forum Hosting Security and Technology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-17-2010, 04:40 PM
  2. nginx quirk on running encrypted script? (running with php-fpm)
    By Darvil in forum Hosting Security and Technology
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-13-2008, 06:16 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-13-2006, 09:05 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2004, 08:27 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 12:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •