Mixing providers in one website

I have a web site that is dynamically generated (PHP, MySQL, the usual). It lives on a VPS. I also have some shared hosting accounts which I use for static web sites.

Tell me if this is insane...put www.example.com on the VPS, but setup static.example.com at some shared hosting site (one of the big boys). Then make all the static content links point there.

Obviously, the idea is to preserve VPS bandwidth.

I could even setup static1.example.com, static2.example.com, etc. on different providers (either VPS or shared) and then as one bandwidth limit is approached, run a script to change all the links.

I'm just curious if this is smart, dumb, insane, clever, idiotic, or inspired.

I don't know, let us know how this works out lol. I would think that the VPS would eliminate the need for the extra provider not to mention double billing. Again that's just the way I would look at it.
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

just use cloudflare or something if you're being lazy

Quote Originally Posted by raindog308 View Post
    I have a web site that is dynamically generated (PHP, MySQL, the usual). It lives on a VPS. I also have some shared hosting accounts which I use for static web sites.

Tell me if this is insane...put www.example.com on the VPS, but setup static.example.com at some shared hosting site (one of the big boys). Then make all the static content links point there.

I could even setup static1.example.com, static2.example.com, etc. on different providers (either VPS or shared) and then as one bandwidth limit is approached, run a script to change all the links.

I'm just curious if this is smart, dumb, insane, clever, idiotic, or inspired.
    It's neither smart nor dumb. Having said this I'd suggest a round robin dns and/or looking at something like a 10MBit or 100MBit shared unmetered. It may end up costing you the same in the long run unless you're using very cheap shared hosting accounts (on a budget).
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

It's an interesting setup, however, if your VPS goes down, you'll be 100% down Now, put on a balance how much are you spending in static*.example.com shared accounts and see if it's worth getting a CDN instead
    StableHost.com - Home to over 23,000 websites.
    Contact us: 866.945.6952
    Offering: 24/7/365 Support, Web Builder and Softaculous.
    Read over 100+ reviews about us at RateLobby!

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    just use cloudflare or something if you're being lazy
    CloudFlare could bring more issues than expected since it will need a special module for logging stats.
    StableHost.com - Home to over 23,000 websites.
    Contact us: 866.945.6952
    Offering: 24/7/365 Support, Web Builder and Softaculous.
    Read over 100+ reviews about us at RateLobby!

Just switch to cloud. You have all the power of around 24 servers, 40TB of Bandwidth and you only pay for what you use...

Cheap and efficient.
    Garbott Ltd - Professional web development & consultancy services
    Oxford.Hosting - Prestigious shared, cloud, dedicated and gaming hosting solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by raindog308 View Post
    Is your transfer quota on the VPS really so restrictive that you need to do this? It can be done, for sure, even with two shared accounts, but whether it's better than any of the (many) other options only you can say.

Keep in mind also that any shared hosting provider offering large or unlimited transfer for a few dollars may well have a clause in their ToS specifically designed to stop you.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

I think it is a smart move to host subdomains on different hosts if they need different kind of resources.
    You have many positives in this kind of setup like not all eggs in 1 basket, and opportunity to assess many providers before settling for any one of them.
    You can also use this setup to help in increasing availability/redundancy if you do it wisely.
    Qtriangle - Website development and web hosting solutions
    The very best of PHP/MySQL development services

This really isn't worth the extra work if you ask me, unless you're getting hundreds of thousands of hits a day, in which case you should be making enough money for a real CDN solution.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    Is your transfer quota on the VPS really so restrictive that you need to do this?
    No, it was really just an idea...

Good advice from WHT...easy to learn a lot here.

Keep in mind also that any shared hosting provider offering large or unlimited transfer for a few dollars may well have a clause in their ToS specifically designed to stop you.
    This I believe is going to be the major issue here. All of the "big boys" in one way or another forbid the use of the account for storage purposes.

Even if "static content" is not just images, videos etc. but actual web pages, the "unlimited" bandwidth is quite severely restricted indirectly. In this particular case, I/O usage is likely to be the issue that surfaces first.

Post Little clarification

"CloudFlare could bring more issues than expected since it will need a special module for logging stats. "

Not an issue if the party signed up via one of CloudFlare's hosting partners (HostGator, etc.). This module is already deployed across all of their servers.

I'm not sure, but why don't you just use CDN? It will mirror your files on other places around the world so it would serve your content much faster for the people around the world who visits your site.

Try maybe MaxCDN, they actually gave me a terrabyte of CDN which is pretty cool. Never even have to pay them or give them my cc details.