Want to buy around 13 servers, 1300€ budget each.

Don't know, maybe it's not the right place to ask.

I would buy around 13 servers (10 web workers, 2 root servers, a spare one is something breaks).
    The more ram, the better, the more cpu power, the better. HD will not be the bottleneck! The most resource intensive service running will be mysql cluster.

I got this quote from an italian company (unfortunately i live in italy and it's not as cheap as there in the USA):

- Supermicro SuperServer 6016T-MTLF € 569,00
    - 2X BX80602E5506 Intel Xeon Quad E5506 2.133GHz Nehalem L3-4Mb sk1366 BOX € 179,00 € 358,00
    - 6X Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/4G € 41,30 € 247,80
    - 2X WD1003FBYX WesternDigital Hd sataII 1TB RE4 64Mb 7200rpm € 86,20 € 172,40

2x Intel Quad Core, 24GB ECC @ 1347€ (2000$)
    What do you think about this? Can i get a better for the same price?

Thank you a lot gurus!
    Last edited by cedivad; 04-09-2011 at 04:02 PM.

You can definitely getter better pricing for these. You should check the offers section and also does location matter to you.

They are a lot around Europe that can help you such as Leaseweb / Hetzner and more... look around...
    HSV Informatics Ltd - Since 2011
    Shared Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers

Quote Originally Posted by ITEXPERTS-Vimal View Post
    You can definitely getter better pricing for these. You should check the offers section and also does location matter to you.

They are a lot around Europe that can help you such as Leaseweb / Hetzner and more... look around...
    I'm pretty sure leaseweb and hetzner don't sell dedicated servers hardware.
    • UnderHost.com • Offshore Hosting Solutions and USA/Canadian based servers.
    • 24/7 Rapid Support / 99.9% Uptime Guarantee / Shared / Cloud / VPS / Dedicated Servers
    • Managed OnApp Cloud • USA Cloud Virtual Datacenter - Dedicated and Scalable Resources
    • Hong Kong - Netherlands - Canada - Caribbean - United States - Russia •

Quote Originally Posted by UnderHost View Post
    I'm pretty sure leaseweb and hetzner don't sell dedicated servers hardware.
    I was under the impression he wanted to rent... My Bad.

No... if they were wanting to rent they wouldn't be looking to "buy" servers for less than $2,000 each
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

No, i'm thinking about buying my own hardware and colo it here in italy or to leaseweb-ovh (i'm doing some network benckmarks).

Sure, i'm not that mad to pay a server like that 2000$ monthly

Tried giving a call to Dell yet?

In Europe, dell seems to be most viable. Contact them as Robert said.
    AS395558

Quote Originally Posted by Robert vd Boorn View Post
    Tried giving a call to Dell yet?
    I tried their online configurator but they aren't cheap, do they make big discounts on these amount of servers?
    Will give it a try anyway. Thank you.

What about HP, they do have a fair bit of Market in Europe or you could also try to build them yourself which might come out cheaper.

You should easily be able to get it at a lower price if NL or DE is an option. I would mail some providers in these countries to see what they can offer.
    YISP - High Bandwidth dedicated servers and colocation in YISP-AS(Amsterdam)!

Quote Originally Posted by cedivad View Post
    I tried their online configurator but they aren't cheap, do they make big discounts on these amount of servers?
    Will give it a try anyway. Thank you.
    Even if you buy a single item from them you will get a discount . Buy a 700 euro laptop and you will pay 600 with a bigger HD, full HD screen etc by just giving them a phone call.
    If you get someone on the phone who doesn't help you (usually easily recognisable by the "Meh I hate this job" attitude) just hang up and call again till you get someone else.

What about HP, they do have a fair bit of Market in Europe or you could also try to build them yourself which might come out cheaper.
    I suppose that buying something from supermicro intel and kingston is the cheapest way to go, however i still need i good reseller i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Rens View Post
    You should easily be able to get it at a lower price if NL or DE is an option. I would mail some providers in these countries to see what they can offer.
    You mean that i can email some providers in DE/NL/FR and ask if they sell me a bunch of server? Interesting! I would have never tough at this!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert vd Boorn View Post
    Even if you buy a single item from them you will get a discount . Buy a 700 euro laptop and you will pay 600 with a bigger HD, full HD screen etc by just giving them a phone call.
    If you get someone on the phone who doesn't help you (usually easily recognisable by the "Meh I hate this job" attitude) just hang up and call again till you get someone else.
    That's an interesting way to do business. Really really interesting

Quote Originally Posted by cedivad View Post
    That's an interesting way to do business. Really really interesting
    That's commission for you. They can reduce the price and give goodies for quite a big amount (15-20% from what I know, that's what it was here in 2009)....

So, how are the first post prices?

I have a better idea for a stable hardware at lower price. Why don't you check the new Assus servers. I didn't test them myself, however a a few partners I trust, use them and have just finished doing testing with the brand new Intel I5 and I7. I saw you need 2 x Xeons, but this should be also an option.

Don't get me wrong... I like Supermicro and we are using their hardware. However I think that all options should be on the table, shouldn't they?
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

Contact chong of http://apaqdigital.com/ .

Better price, very professional and will take care of your server properly :-)

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

That pricing seems quite good but I think you have selected a 2x2gb RAM package rather 4gb DIMMS!!

Try asking your colo provider as they should be able to get better pricing and provide you with some support.

Dell with definately give you discounts if you first let them assign an account manager.
    I can also recommend strongly the Supermicro servers, as they will work out cheaper and as good or better then Dell servers.
    Providers will generally work with you, if they can sell you the hardware and the colocation in one bundle. You will have an added value as well, as most providers that sell you the hardware also give free onsite hardware warranty for a period of time.
    Last edited by swiftnoc; 04-11-2011 at 06:05 AM.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    Providers will generally work with you, if they can sell you the hardware and the colocation in one bundle. You will have an added value as well, as most providers that sell you the hardware also give free onsite hardware warranty for a period of time.
    This has been my experience with buying hardware through the colo partner - they rack it and fully managed the hardware as if it were dedicated hosting.

You will probably end up asking yourself in a couple of years why you did not just lease dedicated boxes in the first place Then at least you would not have tied up 15000€ capital and you could just ditch the boxes when they get out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by topgun View Post
    You will probably end up asking yourself in a couple of years why you did not just lease dedicated boxes in the first place Then at least you would not have tied up 15000€ capital and you could just ditch the boxes when they get out of date.
    Depends on how you plan it. If you do not need high end server, then it is fine otherwise, getting your own hardware is much cheaper in the long run... it is just about planning.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Quote Originally Posted by topgun View Post
    Buy it and colocate it should on a long term be substantially cheaper then rent it outright. The average dedicated server client uses their server over three years, before they consider upgrading.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.