Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BurstNET Windows VPS Review

I always like to start off reviews on a positive note whenever possible. So here are some positive things about the VPS I have with BurstNET: 1) Utilizing the entire 100mb/s allocated to the VPS is possible, 2) when it works, the network seems to have good connectivity, 3) when it works, the VPS is seems to have adequate performance, 4) the price fits AudioProbe's budget (considering that it is just a hobby, that's rather small).

After writing my last hosting review, I've taught myself to take notes along the way to give a clear picture of events. This time I started at the very beginning. Let's begin, shall we?

On 3/31 at 2:03pm (all my times are Central) I submitted the order for the Windows 2008 Standard VPS. I received the order confirmation email and noted the following:
    Virtual Private Server (VPS) - Instant Delivery.
    I promptly submitted payment at 2:04pm. I then got a weird email from the helpdesk concerning a ticket with the subject "Notification of payment received" (my PayPal email is different from the email I signed up with, so perhaps that is the problem?). The New Account Information email finally arrived at 2:21pm.

Something to note about the ordering process: it was very confusing since there was conflicting information everywhere I turned. Many parts of their site seem to be out of date and the packages on their hosting page don't match what's actually available to purchase.

Anyway, on with the review...

On 4/5 at 12:28pm, I got an email about emergency maintenance. The server went down at 12:30pm. For your reference:
    Dear Valued BurstNET Customer,

Due to a necessary upgrade, your SolusVM VPS may be inaccessible for a short time, between 1:30PM and 3:30PM EDT on 04/05/2011.

If your service is inaccessible for more than 30 minutes, please open a ticket with our technical support department from https://support.burst.net or by emailing [email protected].

We are sorry for any inconvenience.

Technical Support Department
    BurstNET Technologies, Inc.
    The VPS returned to normal at 1:00pm and an email stating that all containers should be back online arrived at 1:17pm. Note the advance notice of a whole two minutes. It's also worth noting that all the problems didn't start until after this maintenance.

On 4/5 at approximately 8:10pm, BurstNET restarted the VPS (I have no idea why). For whatever reason, the VPS got stuck on a driver installation prompt for a "Qemu USB Tablet" (no idea what that is either). None of the services (IIS, MSSQL, etc) were working and my status monitoring script notified me of this. At 9:23pm, I was finally in front of a computer again so I investigated the issue. After seeing evidence that it had been restarted and had not come all the way back up, I chose to reboot it and ended up with a black screen with just the cursor showing. I went to the VPS control panel and chose reboot and it eventually restarted as normal. The VPS returned to normal at 9:25pm. Note: After reading through this again, the event on 4/7 seems to be related.

On 4/6 at approximately 4:09pm, the VPS went down yet again. I repeatedly tried to get it to respond by issuing a reboot command through the SolusVM control panel, but that accomplished nothing. At 4:34pm I submitted a ticket to the reboots department. At 6:05pm, the VPS finally came back up. At 7:14pm, the ticket was finally replied to. Even though the VPS had previously come back up on its own at 6:05pm (by magic, I must assume), the support technician rebooted it.

On 4/6 at 7:16pm I sent a PM to one of the BurstNET representatives here on WHT. It consisted of the first part of this review and noted that I hadn't yet gotten an answer to my ticket, but the VPS had come back up by itself. It also asked if this type of performance was "normal." The representative responded with the following:
    Hi,

Everything should be stable and good to go now.
    We had several upgrades for this brand new service that had to be implemented (RAM, diskspace). We advertised these as test market VPS services for this reason. We have configurations sorted now on that node, so you should be good to go moving forward ;-)

BURSTNET
    Unfortunately, I went straight to the BurstNET site and never looked in the offers forum so these being "test market VPS services" was news to me. This information certainly wasn't on their site (or maybe I'm blind). If I'd possessed this information before ordering, I certainly wouldn't have signed up.

On 4/7 at 5:39pm, the VPS went down yet again. No point submitting a support ticket since it will likely magically return to normal before anyone responds (just like it did last time). I waited a while figuring that it would come back up on its own. Growing impatient, I hit "boot" in the control panel at 9:21pm. The VNC program wouldn't connect at first. However, after about ten minutes it did connect and a nice black screen and the cursor appeared. After waiting for a few minutes, the Windows welcome screen finally appeared and it got stuck on "Please wait for the User Profile Service...". 10 minutes later and still the same thing. The shutdown and reboot commands in SolusVM did nothing since it seems to think the container is already shut off. So now at 8:52pm, I continued to sit there watching and finally I saw "Preparing your desktop..." At 9:01pm, that message disappears and the solid blue background appeared. Then "Preparing security options..." appeared at 9:04pm since it had finally decided to respond to my CTRL+ALT+DEL... I chose "Start Task Manager" since I'm curious what exactly is going on. At 9:07pm, the solid background reappeared. at 9:08pm the screen returned to black and then turned BSOD blue. At 9:09pm, the BSOD message slowly began appearing one character at a time. As of 9:10pm it had
    Code:
    A problem has been detected and Windows has
    Sigh... As of 9:16pm, the message read
    Code:
    A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval.

If this is the first time
    As of 9:38pm, the message still hadn't finished loading. I attempted to send CTRL+ALT+DEL at this point but that did nothing. At this point I gave up. The server finally returned to normal around midnight.

On 4/9 at around 9:30am the network disappeared and it has only had sporadic network connectivity since then. I suppose I'll have to consider moving my stream encoding software back to the desktop here at the house since it has vastly superior uptime in comparison to this VPS... Plus, the support is better.

Here are the uptime stats, by the way (updated every day at midnight): http://hostify.net/stats/stats.php?i...r=2011&month=4

If you guys have any suggestions for reputable providers that can provide a properly performing, 99.9% uptime (including network) Windows 2008 Standard VPS (or dedicated) with 1GB of memory and at least 50GB of disk space, please let me know. Those are the only requirements since all it has to do is run Sam Broadcaster and MSSQL. Budget is $30 a month.

TLDR: You get what you pay for. BurstNET's Windows VPS is not recommended for hosting anything remotely important (since it is "test market VPS services" after all). If you can deal with daily outages that last for hours as well as support that takes hours to respond, go for it. If there are significant changes before the end of the month, I will be happy to update this review.
    AudioProbe.net - Playing the best music from the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, and more...
    Commercial free, high quality 192kb/s, and firewall friendly port 80!
    Look for us in the iTunes Radio directory under Adult Contemporary

Once again...everything should be stable and good to go now.
    We had several upgrades for this brand new service that had to be implemented (RAM, diskspace). We advertised these as test market VPS services for this reason (...our website did NOT even have these plans listed until two days ago...just a post on twitter, WHT, and on announcements about the test market availability). We had some issues once the node got fully loaded up, and had to resolve some things due to that. We have configurations sorted now on that node, so you should be good to go moving forward... ;-)

...you just had some bad luck having a network switch issue immediately following the new windows vps service issues.
    Both are resolved as of this time, so should be smoother sailing moving forward.

Please do come back and update your review at the end of the month, and I'm sure you'll be singing a different tune!

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post
    (...our website did NOT even have these plans listed until two days ago...just a post on twitter, WHT, and on announcements about the test market availability)
    Here's how I went about ordering...
    1) Went to http://burst.net
    2) Chose "VPS Hosting"
    3) Chose "Windows VPS Packages"
    4) Clicked "Buy Now" on a random package
    5) Noted that configs in cart differed from configs on main page. Thought that it was simply a case of the package listing being out of date.
    6) Added the config I wanted to cart

Your site is different now. Clicking buy now takes you to a listing of dedicated servers rather than a listing of available VPSs. Whatever the case, I purchased it directly through your site without looking elsewhere.

...you just had some bad luck having a network switch issue immediately following the new windows vps service issues.
    Both are resolved as of this time, so should be smoother sailing moving forward.
    You may want to double check this since it's still going up and down (and is down as of this post). For your reference: http://audioprobe.net/pingplot5.png

Please do come back and update your review at the end of the month, and I'm sure you'll be singing a different tune!
    I can only hope so.

Edit: updated pingplot for the "and is down as of this post" remark: http://audioprobe.net/pingplot6.png
    Last edited by Hostify Networks; 04-09-2011 at 06:56 PM.
    AudioProbe.net - Playing the best music from the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, and more...

Well, initial new setups do have few ups and downs and honestly it is a learning curve for hosting company & support techs until things are streamlined. With this being said, it is important to keep an eye on how prompt support / resolution you are receiving from your web host. As the representative mentioned above, they seem to have sorted out the issues for now! Hope you have a pleasant experience henceforth..
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

Quote Originally Posted by Hostify Networks View Post
    You may want to double check this since it's still going up and down (and is down as of this post). For your reference: http://audioprobe.net/pingplot5.png

Edit: updated pingplot for the "and is down as of this post" remark: http://audioprobe.net/pingplot6.png

This is probably related to ICMP being blocked by default and/or Windows firewalls implemented by default. Personaly, I get 100% packet loss when I try to recreate your report...as I should be.
    Your service has not been down, or with that much packet loss, at these times you are displaying. The node is chugging along perfectly fine, with the only slowdowns being when VPS are being added or re-installed.

Node is operating perfectly fine, and without packet loss:

[[email protected] ~]# w
    07:44:46 up 2 days, 3:20, 1 user, load average: 1.92, 2.29, 2.59
    USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
    root pts/67 vpn.burst.net 04:27 0.00s 0.06s 0.06s -bash

[[email protected] ~]# ping 4.2.2.6 -f
    PING 4.2.2.6 (4.2.2.6) 56(84) bytes of data.
    --- 4.2.2.6 ping statistics ---
    6410 packets transmitted, 6409 received, 0% packet loss, time 3070ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.239/0.344/16.123/0.327 ms, pipe 2, ipg/ewma 0.479/0.314 ms

Hello,

In near time I do want to purchase one of win vps from BurstNet... Reading this topic make me worried about the vps performance.. Are you (BurstNet) sure that this issue has been solved?
    Anyway, one question, can we do OS reload on win vps as of in Linux vps?
    Thanks..

This is probably related to ICMP being blocked by default and/or Windows firewalls implemented by default. Personaly, I get 100% packet loss when I try to recreate your report...as I should be.
    Your service has not been down, or with that much packet loss, at these times you are displaying. The node is chugging along perfectly fine, with the only slowdowns being when VPS are being added or re-installed.

Node is operating perfectly fine, and without packet loss:
    I don't appreciate being called a liar.

Windows firewall is set to allow ping, so the only reason for the box to not respond is if either it's down or the network is down. Obviously the network was down at those times since 1) the container was still running, 2) services running in the container could not reach the outside world, and 3) none of my other servers could reach the container.

As you can see, it responds to ping perfectly fine:
    Code:
    ping bravo.hostify.me

Pinging bravo.hostify.me [184.22.223.16] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 184.22.223.16: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=107
    Reply from 184.22.223.16: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=107
    Reply from 184.22.223.16: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=107
    Reply from 184.22.223.16: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=107

Ping statistics for 184.22.223.16:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 43ms, Maximum = 45ms, Average = 44ms
    Slowdowns are fine, complete outages are not. Honestly I don't care how fast it is as long as it gets the job done. It's been fine for a few hours, so perhaps the issues are fixed now. Of course it ran fine for 24 hours last time before showing issues again, so I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by SerayaHost View Post
    Hello,

In near time I do want to purchase one of win vps from BurstNet... Reading this topic make me worried about the vps performance.. Are you (BurstNet) sure that this issue has been solved?
    Anyway, one question, can we do OS reload on win vps as of in Linux vps?
    Thanks..
    Aside from the issues I have outlined, the performance has been excellent. If it weren't for these issues, I would probably be singing praises from the rooftops. Of course without these issues, I wouldn't have discovered how incredibly slow support is.

As for the reliability, do keep in mind that these are actually "test market services," so problems should be expected. The only reason I'm bitching is because I wasn't made aware of this until after I'd made the purchase. Again, I would have waited had I known this. Of course, what can you really expect for $12.95/month?

As for OS reloading, I do believe that SolusVM has an option for that. I haven't tried it of course.

Code:
    A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval.

If this is the first time
    Ask them explicitly to limit your CPU to single core. That's a workaround, I've seen the issue only with windows 2008 though.

As for a permanent fix, that's for burst to catch.. (They need to get Xen drivers for windows---don't try it yourself, that's a pain since the drivers are not "official")
    CurlHost - Affordable VPS/Dedicated Servers!
    Multiple Locations! We're right beside you!

i hope you enjoy your service with them and things turn out for the best i recently ordered a windows vps from burst (not directly through them) and ill post about it later after i gets setup and everything is correct on it.

Network just went down again in the middle of a live show. Went down twice before this for approximately ten minutes each time. I'm getting seasick...

http://audioprobe.net/pingplot7.png

wow sudden outage ?
    IPStrada When uptime counts.
    Warren Buffet: Honesty is very expensive gift do not expect it from cheap people.

We are NOT having any network issues, the node has NOT been down, and the node has NOT been overloaded. Not a single other client is reporting these issues/complaining. If that packet loss was accurate for the node, every single client on that node would be complaining left and right, and they are just not.

At this point, I am seriously beginning to suspect the issue is with your VPS, and your VPS alone. It is quite possible you have a misconfigured firewall on your VPS, or you are overloading your VPS, running our of memory, maxing out your CPU, etc...none of which can be resolved by posting on WHT, and which you can only figure out by contacting our tech support dept, and requesting they look into it for you.

I have a windows VPS with them and am having no problems at all with it. Its the 512 budget one.

Network just went down again in the middle of a live show. Went down twice before this for approximately ten minutes each time.
    Maybe issue occurs when your VPS has too much traffic?
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise

Network just went down again in the middle of a live show. Went down twice before this for approximately ten minutes each time. I'm getting seasick...
    Hi,

Can you provide the ticket # that was opened with our technical support department regarding this issue? I'd like to take a look into this issue and see if we can determine where this issue may be coming from.

Thanks!

At this point, I am seriously beginning to suspect the issue is with your VPS, and your VPS alone. It is quite possible you have a misconfigured firewall on your VPS, or you are overloading your VPS, running our of memory, maxing out your CPU, etc...none of which can be resolved by posting on WHT, and which you can only figure out by contacting our tech support dept, and requesting they look into it for you.
    The firewall is configured correctly as far as I know. It's the default Windows firewall with the appropriate applications/ports forwarded. If it were the firewall, I suspect the issue wouldn't be intermittent.

I would also suspect that the ten year old computer that ran the same configuration for years would disagree with the whole notion of me overloading the VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by PremiumHost View Post
    Maybe issue occurs when your VPS has too much traffic?
    This is all the VPS is doing:
    1) Running an instance of sc_serv which DJs connect to to initiate a broadcast.
    2) Running IIS/PHP for DJ scheduling, scheduled tasks, and server monitoring purposes.
    3) Running an instance of Microsoft SQL Express which Sam Broadcaster connects to.
    4) Running an instance of Sam Broadcaster which encodes three streams. One at 192kb/s mp3, one at 96kb/s mp3, and another at 64kb/s aac+. These three streams are sent to a separate server which listeners tune into.

Quote Originally Posted by BurstAndrewR View Post
    Hi,

Can you provide the ticket # that was opened with our technical support department regarding this issue? I'd like to take a look into this issue and see if we can determine where this issue may be coming from.

Thanks!
    Ticket 2645460 should give you all the needed information.

@OP : Which VPS location?
    TechWacky - The Social Tech Guide - HERE
    Currently operate servers with: Wholesale Internet, EvoSwitch, DataShack
    _) Previous servers: Limestone Networks, RapidSwitch, Poundhost, TailorMadeServers, JoesDC

We are NOT having any network issues, the node has NOT been down, and the node has NOT been overloaded. Not a single other client is reporting these issues/complaining. If that packet loss was accurate for the node, every single client on that node would be complaining left and right, and they are just not.

I can't say we had any issues yesterday but getting reliable service (people or equipment) has been scarce with Burst.net

I see this burstnet user seem to take things pretty personally, which is refreshing opposed to a larger corporate response of "see if I care". But I wish I'd see this in their customer service.

We've been a customer for only a short while now and I can honestly say we're actively looking to relocate. Apparently a switch we were hooked up to went down 3/17 for an hour and today our gateway's went offline at 2:50am EST and after opening a ticket with support we got no response until we called at 7am when we were told we opened a ticket with the wrong department and we should have opened a ticket with reboots @ burst.net rather than support. (despite opening tickets for similar issue with support and never being informed)

At 7am we opened a ticket with reboot, like the other times got a autoreply.

Its now 9:30am and we still haven't received an update and we're still 100% down.

We had an issue with a cheap vps in LA but I don't care when its like $70/yr and just used for testing.

I did care when I opened a ticket 3am EST, notifying them we're down, and getting a reply at 9:44am EST claiming "everything seems fine from here". When I replied I opened the ticket 7 hours ago, they then responded with "will forward to support"

I can handle mistakes but honesty goes a long way with me. I don't feel burst is honest at all.

There is a "reboots" department? Funny

Quote Originally Posted by AmyJo78 View Post
    I can't say we had any issues yesterday but getting reliable service (people or equipment) has been scarce with Burst.net

I see this burstnet user seem to take things pretty personally, which is refreshing opposed to a larger corporate response of "see if I care". But I wish I'd see this in their customer service.

We've been a customer for only a short while now and I can honestly say we're actively looking to relocate. Apparently a switch we were hooked up to went down 3/17 for an hour and today our gateway's went offline at 2:50am EST and after opening a ticket with support we got no response until we called at 7am when we were told we opened a ticket with the wrong department and we should have opened a ticket with reboots @ burst.net rather than support. (despite opening tickets for similar issue with support and never being informed)

At 7am we opened a ticket with reboot, like the other times got a autoreply.

Its now 9:30am and we still haven't received an update and we're still 100% down.

We had an issue with a cheap vps in LA but I don't care when its like $70/yr and just used for testing.

I did care when I opened a ticket 3am EST, notifying them we're down, and getting a reply at 9:44am EST claiming "everything seems fine from here". When I replied I opened the ticket 7 hours ago, they then responded with "will forward to support"

I can handle mistakes but honesty goes a long way with me. I don't feel burst is honest at all.
    Hi,

Can you please PM me your ticket number so I can look into what the delay is?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rds100 View Post
    There is a "reboots" department? Funny
    Funny until you need a reboot on your machine.

We created a special e-mail address in case your system is critical (Down). Reboots are made high priority and are usually responded to within minutes (As opposed to tickets sometimes taking more time due to volume).

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET_CSM View Post
    Hi,

Can you please PM me your ticket number so I can look into what the delay is?

Thanks.
    Opened with support 2652038 & 2681933
    Opened with reboots 2652256

Just an update!

Hello,

I am very sorry for the wait. This morning the power strip that your servers connected to failed. We replaced it and I have just powered up all of your servers and they should be back online shortly. If you still have issues reaching any of them please let me know.

Thank You,
    Al KTechnical Support
    Burstnet Technologies Inc.
    Back to the honesty issue.

We used 2 different power strips + a 2200va battery which would have sent us an alert. And that doesn't explain why their gateways didn't respond at all during that period.

I know we're getting a handoff no where near our rack so its not using the same pdu.

Ah, so there is no separate team dealing with reboots only? That makes more sense now Still isn't it cheaper to just get some remote controllable power sockets and make a web based system so everyone can reboot his dedicated machine without bothering your team?

Quote Originally Posted by rds100 View Post
    Ah, so there is no separate team dealing with reboots only? That makes more sense now Still isn't it cheaper to just get some remote controllable power sockets and make a web based system so everyone can reboot his dedicated machine without bothering your team?
    This problem was a power strip failure. A remote reboot was not a possible solution, but we do have remote reboots available at a small additional cost per month (We're budget hosting. We give you what you need to go, and you add the bells and whistles)

We used 2 different power strips + a 2200va battery which would have sent us an alert. And that doesn't explain why their gateways didn't respond at all during that period.

I know we're getting a handoff no where near our rack so its not using the same pdu.
    This is the first we're hearing about the gateways being down. We have no other tickets regarding gateway issues from last night, and they're pinging fine for us now.

I do apologize for how long it took for you to get a response. As you noted, you were instructed to send to a different department if you are down. Usually, our support team responds much more quickly to regular tickets, but when an issue like the one that happened last night occurs, it takes them away from regular tickets, as the majority of other 1st shift staff (Engineers/managers/etc.) are not here, so our 3rd shift becomes a conduit for all the departments.

Literally, they work their collective azz off.

This is the first we're hearing about the gateways being down. We have no other tickets regarding gateway issues from last night, and they're pinging fine for us now.
    Funny because 2651933 opened with:
    Why are we down again?

I'm showing all nodes offline for the past 50 minutes and 184.X.X.1 isn't responding to any pings
    Which is your gateway.

I do apologize for how long it took for you to get a response. As you noted, you were instructed to send to a different department if you are down. Usually, our support team responds much more quickly to regular tickets, but when an issue like the one that happened last night occurs, it takes them away from regular tickets, as the majority of other 1st shift staff (Engineers/managers/etc.) are not here, so our 3rd shift becomes a conduit for all the departments.

Literally, they work their collective azz off.
    When the switch you gave us a handoff from went down 3/17 I emailed support and got a response no problem. No one said anything about reboots.

I got a reply after calling that you were looking into it, at 7am, but when it still wasn't fixed I opened a ticket with reboots at 9am and didn't get a reply or resolution until 10:10am.

I took screenshots from network-tools.com with a traceroute to both gateways which both timed out.

Again, reply to your tickets that you made a mistake and the router died or something, be honest, but don't make up it was an error out of your control.

Like I said we have a 2200va battery and would have gotten an alert from the battery.

When the switch you gave us a handoff from went down 3/17 I emailed support and got a response no problem. No one said anything about reboots.
    That may be because they got to it fast enough that you didn't note how long it took to get resolved. As I said, we usually respond to regular tickets much more quickly (Sometimes as quickly as reboot requests). The tech team would not note where you were sending FROM unless you were complaining about how long the reboot took.

I got a reply after calling that you were looking into it, at 7am, but when it still wasn't fixed I opened a ticket with reboots at 9am and didn't get a reply or resolution until 10:10am.
    I will check with the team about the chain of events regarding that outage and will see if there was a reason for the delay. I do apologize.

I took screenshots from network-tools.com with a traceroute to both gateways which both timed out.
    I was going to end this asking that in the future could you please add a tracert for such a problem. Can you pleas post a link of it into your ticket with us (our ticket system does not accept attachments).

Again, reply to your tickets that you made a mistake and the router died or something, be honest, but don't make up it was an error out of your control.
    We've no need to lie. A power strip (circuit) failed that affected one whole rack in our colo area. It negates any backup power source when the actual strip has a failure. I am still trying to get a full picture from the support team what happened and when so we can post-mortem it and make sure it doesn't occur again. Our gateway routers are not attached to the strip, but I will have our engineers look into it. I just noted that yours is the first notice of it.

Like I said we have a 2200va battery and would have gotten an alert from the battery.
    The only guess I can give at this time (Again, still gathering data from last night), is that your switch was also somehow affected, which would have your battery backup sending out to a dead switch, which would get you nowhere fast. Again, just a guess.

I will check with the team about the chain of events regarding that outage and will see if there was a reason for the delay. I do apologize.
    Check the ticket

7:13AM
    Apologies for the inconvenience. We are aware of the situation and are working to get your servers back online now. As noted over the phone, for a quicker response to future support requests when one or more servers is offline, please direct support requests to reboots or open a ticket from https://support.burst.net/cgi-bin/pd...=submit_ticket and select \"Yes\" for the option, \"Is Reboot/Outage?\" for a support or reboot ticket.
    --
    Thank you,

Matt W.
    you guys are good enough to leave timestamps

Open 3:47am, responded 7:13am, resolved 10:13am

I was going to end this asking that in the future could you please add a tracert for such a problem. Can you pleas post a link of it into your ticket with us (our ticket system does not accept attachments).
    Ticket 2652256 has the links to view screenshots

We've no need to lie. A power strip (circuit) failed that affected one whole rack in our colo area. It negates any backup power source when the actual strip has a failure. I am still trying to get a full picture from the support team what happened and when so we can post-mortem it and make sure it doesn't occur again. Our gateway routers are not attached to the strip, but I will have our engineers look into it. I just noted that yours is the first notice of it.
    AGAIN. WE HAVE OUR OWN BATTERY OFF YOUR PDU. IF YOUR PDU DIED I WOULD HAVE HAD POWER FOR AT LEAST 5 MINUTES TO SEND ME AN ALERT.

If your network wasn't on the "down pdu" then your gateway shouldn't have been down. Especially considering we have 2 different gateways with you 184.x.x.1 and 64.x.x.193.

The only guess I can give at this time (Again, still gathering data from last night), is that your switch was also somehow affected, which would have your battery backup sending out to a dead switch, which would get you nowhere fast. Again, just a guess.
    Switch is hooked up to our battery.

Again your explanation implies you had 2 pdu's die at once (because we used 2), our battery died, and your gateways went down.

I'm not wasting any more time on this as I've stated this isn't our first problem (a switch in your network died 3 weeks ago and took us down for an hour). Considering I've been to your datacenter for our colo and saw the equipment used I'm not surprised. But like I said honesty goes a long way with me. I could forgive f*ckups if you didn't try to defer blame.

My explanation is much simplier, another problem with your network, and you just bumped our servers to make seem like a power issue and ignore the down gateways.

Your solution implies us lying to you which unless they're pulling the wool over my eyes as well just simply is not the case.

Your attitude (Though extremely unprofessional), is understandable, and I am having people look into it. But as I am CSM and not a TSM, my expertise in this area goes only so far (My techie years are far behind me).

I noticed an APC at the bottom of your colo area. As it is yours, I cannot check it to make sure it ran correctly, nor did I trace your power cables to see what went where.

I can only stress that only you have made any note of a gateway not responding. I will have people look into it.

I do not appreciate being called a liar, especially when I'm trying to assist you, so I think I'll bow out of your hijacking of a thread now.

Other than a slight amount of stuttering, it's been okay for a little over 19 hours. No drops =

Quote Originally Posted by techwacky View Post
    @OP : Which VPS location?
    Scranton, PA

I did care when I opened a ticket 3am EST, notifying them we're down, and getting a reply at 9:44am EST claiming "everything seems fine from here".
    I can confirm that the responses from the reboots department are incredibly slow. An hour at most is the longest I would expect to pass before a response and/or resolution should be received.

Please note that your responses probably belong in their own thread since they are related to colocation rather than vps services. You may wish to contact a moderator to get the thread split.

Your solution implies us lying to you which unless they're pulling the wool over my eyes as well just simply is not the case.

Your attitude (Though extremely unprofessional), is understandable, and I am having people look into it. But as I am CSM and not a TSM, my expertise in this area goes only so far (My techie years are far behind me).
    Considering the fact that I'm an extremely unsatisfied customer I don't feel a need to be professional. If you were my customer I'd have to agree.

I noticed an APC at the bottom of your colo area. As it is yours, I cannot check it to make sure it ran correctly, nor did I trace your power cables to see what went where.
    Not that hard, power is run 1' to the vertical pdu right next to it, battery is new and tested when we installed 2 months ago.

I can only stress that only you have made any note of a gateway not responding. I will have people look into it.
    I wouldn't assume anyone else would note that MY gateways went down. When you get an IP block you get your own gateway, its a lovely side effect of subnetting.

ie: if you give us 10.10.10.192/28 our gateway is with in that subnet, in this case .193 and none of your other customers would use that gateway because it would be unreachable from outside our subnet.

I'm not forging trace route reports and I jumped in this thread because I felt burst.net is dishonest and I'm now getting confirmation with all the excuses.

I also want to add that you've updated this thread 5 times, since 9:30am, as opposed to the single response I've gotten to my 3 tickets since 3am.

I do not appreciate being called a liar, especially when I'm trying to assist you, so I think I'll bow out of your hijacking of a thread now.
    The only thing I can call you a liar on is claiming "this is the first we've heard of a gateway issue". When the gateway being down was CLEARLY the first thing mentioned in both the tickets as well as my first entry to this thread. You're saying you're on-site but had nothing to do with the problem or resolution this morning. So I can't attest to if you're the one who responded to the ticket and said it was a PDU.

I hijacked because its a couple days old and I read the responses and wanted a clear log of the customer service with 2 customers.

I can't place it any more simply: I'm trying to help you and I have people looking into the issue. AS you are now up and running, it is NOT a priority 1 issue. I do understand how gateways work, my point was/is that you were not the only colo on that rack that lost power, but you are the only one who stated there was a gateway issue at the same time.

I am not sure what else I can do to prove to you that I'm telling you the truth. If you want to believe we are out to dupe you, and that they sent me out here to make up a story about a problem, where the end result is the same, then go ahead. The truth is otherwise, but I'd rather go about trying to find the cause of the issue rather than debate minutia with you.

@AmyJo78 I can offer you an explanation of your gateway problem. When your rack lost power the provider's port to you went down and so your VLAN went down too. When a VLAN goes down on a router (or L3 switch) it will down the layer 3 interface too. So the IP associated with that L3 interface (i.e. your gateway IP) will no longer be reachable.
    I am sorry if i couldn't explain it very well, English is not my native language.

P.S. I am in no way associated with BurstNet

My explanation is much simplier, another problem with your network, and you just bumped our servers to make seem like a power issue and ignore the down gateways.
    The issue with the gateway going down is in fact related to power. This is not a network issue.

Each server is connected to a port on a multilayer switch. The port is configured as a layer 3 port. The IPs are physically configured on this port, and redistributed into our network over an IGP. When this port goes down (either due to a physical disconnection or equipment failure), the IPs are withdrawn from our IGP. This is by design.

Therefore, if your server (if a single dedicated server) or switch goes down, you will not be able to ping the gateway.
    Joe Marr
    BurstNet Technologies, Inc.

I gave up and moved everything back to my desktop a few days ago.

On that note, since I don't have any other use for the VPS, I'm running a Minecraft server for the rest of the month. If you're interested in seeing the awesome fortress I'm working on, you can view the map here: http://184.22.223.16

The network still becomes unresponsive at random, so if it doesn't load, check back later. The network problem seems to be isolated just to this container. CPU and memory usage appear to be normal while the problem occurs, so I'm at a loss.

I gave up and moved everything back to my desktop a few days ago.

On that note, since I don't have any other use for the VPS, I'm running a Minecraft server for the rest of the month. If you're interested in seeing the awesome fortress I'm working on, you can view the map here: http://184.22.223.16

The network still becomes unresponsive at random, so if it doesn't load, check back later. The network problem seems to be isolated just to this container. CPU and memory usage appear to be normal while the problem occurs, so I'm at a loss.

Since you seem to be the only client having these issues, for unknown reason...maybe we should just delete the container and set you up on a new node?

Since you seem to be the only client having these issues, for unknown reason...maybe we should just delete the container and set you up on a new node?
    It would be interesting to see if a new container performs normally. I'm not using it anymore, so please feel free to perform this operation at any time.

Offtopic - Is it allow to have multiple members promoting the same company here on WHT? I have seen more than 2 BurstNET members on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by MatH View Post
    Offtopic - Is it allow to have multiple members promoting the same company here on WHT? I have seen more than 2 BurstNET members on this forum.
    IIRC there is a limit on how often they can post in the advertising forums. Answering to threads like this one should not be considered "promoting".

Quote Originally Posted by MatH View Post
    I THINK It's fine as long they're not the same person on multiple accounts, and I do no promotions. I am the Customer Service manager and just tend to issues that pop up here

Did the server got deleted already? I wanted to see the Fortress... DARN!
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast