Dynamic IP Address

I've bought a spare domain that I'd like to point to my home IP address, which is dynamic. I know there are services like TZO and DynDNS. In fact, those are the only two options I see in my router's panel.

I was wondering if there was a way for me to achieve this without using the above services, and do things sort of in house.

I have a spare VPS that I can use, but I'm not quite sure how I'd go about this. If anyone has any insight, please share.

Why don't I want to use those service? No particular reason, just like to know if there was a way I could do it myself.

Of course you could do it yourself. If it is simply an academic exercise, you certainly don't want anyone to just tell you, the knowledge has been on the net for some time.

A simpler fix may just be to purchase a static IP address from your ISP.

Hello ,

There is no option that you can point the domain to a Dynamic IP address . You will have to purchase a dynamic IP address in order to point the domain .

Like srfreeman said, its an academic exercise od figuring out if and when your IP has changed, and when it has to automatically do preform a DNS change for you. DynDNS has created software and an infrastructure to make this extremely easy and painfree.. but if you want to learn and experience the pain of doing it yourself, nothing and nobody can stop you.
    01 Networks / Hosting and Consulting Services
    Pay as you Go hosting -- the cheapest prices in town.
    Zimbra (Network Edition and Open Source) Hosting
    100% full uptime guarantee / 24x7x365 support

Hello ,

The best option I would suggest is to get a dedicated IP address from your ISP because whenever the IP address changes you would need to change the corresponding DNS records which will be very hectic and I dont think your ISP will give you the range of IP addresses which are assigned to you .

Quote Originally Posted by Noppix View Post
    I've bought a spare domain that I'd like to point to my home IP address, which is dynamic. I know there are services like TZO and DynDNS. In fact, those are the only two options I see in my router's panel.

I was wondering if there was a way for me to achieve this without using the above services, and do things sort of in house.

I have a spare VPS that I can use, but I'm not quite sure how I'd go about this. If anyone has any insight, please share.

Why don't I want to use those service? No particular reason, just like to know if there was a way I could do it myself.
    You would need to use them if you have a dynamic IP address. Why not purchase a static IP address from your ISP?

My ISP doesn't allow static IPs on residential customers for some reason. I pay $5/mo/ea for 3 extra IPs. They are all dynamic though.

Yes, it is more of an academic exercise. It's completely outside my field though.

What I'm thinking right now, and perhaps this is the complete wrong way to go about this, but it's just a start.

Install Centos on VPS with BIND.
    Write a quick script for Windows and use the scheduled events to check the external IP, write the zone file, and upload it to the server and restart named.

This script would run on a very small, old, low powered machine at home.

That's where I'm at right now. I'm sure it will evolve though. I just want to know if that's a good direction to go in.

Too complicated - Write a PHP script that reads the external IP from the caller and writes it in the zonefile.

Then use a cron daemon on your router (or an old PC) to call it every 10minutes or so.

That is pretty much the same as DynDNS and others do.

Here you will find the php script to know your own IP

http://mywindowsblog.com/?p=209

Quote Originally Posted by EDIS View Post
    Too complicated - Write a PHP script that reads the external IP from the caller and writes it in the zonefile.

Then use a cron daemon on your router (or an old PC) to call it every 10minutes or so.

That is pretty much the same as DynDNS and others do.
    So PHP script at home passing a variable to a PHP script on server to write the zone file. Interesting.

Noppix;

"My ISP doesn't allow static IPs on residential customers for some reason"

You are not picking up on the "basic" lessons to be taught from this academic exercise. Changing to a "business" account will probably solve your issue (but then there are zoning issues).

Please check the TOS of your ISP, a new domain on their residential network may not be what they want. Continuing blindly may bring the question "Why can't I access the Internet from home?" into this exercise.

Just taking what people give you, in any type of exercise, is not really helpful. Think for your self.

Example; "Here let me run 2k on that treadmill for you." Would this type of exercise help your cardiovascular health? Laughable, is it not?

Quote Originally Posted by srfreeman View Post
    Noppix;

"My ISP doesn't allow static IPs on residential customers for some reason"

You are not picking up on the "basic" lessons to be taught from this academic exercise. Changing to a "business" account will probably solve your issue (but then there are zoning issues).

Please check the TOS of your ISP, a new domain on their residential network may not be what they want. Continuing blindly may bring the question "Why can't I access the Internet from home?" into this exercise.

Just taking what people give you, in any type of exercise, is not really helpful. Think for your self.

Example; "Here let me run 2k on that treadmill for you." Would this type of exercise help your cardiovascular health? Laughable, is it not?
    I'm not sure why everyone here wants to try and teach me a lesson. I simply wanted to know if there was software that does what DynDNS does that I could host myself.

I'm not trying to LEARN anything. I just want to accomplish what DynDNS does on my own server. I asked here to be pointed in the right direction.

Why I want to do it should only be people's concern if it helps the discussion.

This thread can be closed. The only useful answer I got was from EDIS.

Hhmmm...

Maybe I should be more to the point - You are not playing in your own sand box, it is your ISP's network. Start by asking them what you can do.

Beyond that, the correct tool is a search engine. The information you seek has been out there for some time, retyping it is counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by srfreeman View Post
    Hhmmm...

Maybe I should be more to the point - You are not playing in your own sand box, it is your ISP's network. Start by asking them what you can do.

Beyond that, the correct tool is a search engine. The information you seek has been out there for some time, retyping it is counterproductive.
    I already use the IP to connect to things outside of home. They know this. I don't think they'll care if I type a hostname instead of an IP.

Again...this is not the issue. Nor the discussion I was trying to get.

BIND server has been supporting DDNS (dynamic DNS) for a long time. You can lookup manuals in google by searching for bind ddns. Here is an example of such manual: http://www.kirya.net/articles/runnin...ice-with-bind/

Quote Originally Posted by Noppix View Post
    So PHP script at home passing a variable to a PHP script on server to write the zone file. Interesting.
    No, only on the server.

Just add a CRON at home to call "http://url.to/the.script.php" which reads out the IP that calls it, and writes it to the zonefile.
    Maybe add some caching here and there (saving old IP in a TXT or similar) to avoid unnecesary updating of the zonefile, and some sort of auth (&auth=passwordhash or &auth=password in the url)

This is actually something i wanted to do for a long time already, so if you want to test it when i got it done feel free to send me an email at william AT edis.at
    Mine will though just call an external script with the users IP (so it can be used to update any nameserver, regardless of version/nameserver used, or even use firther external services like some free dns provider) - so you will have to provide your own script that updates the zonefile when called.
    Last edited by EDIS; 04-10-2011 at 03:33 PM.