Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

KEEP AWAY from BURSTNET!!!

Hello,
    I'm here to review BurstNet's VPS services. Just in two words, KEEP AWAY!

I was using 2 of "PREMIUM" VPS Package #3. But at this morning, both of my VPSes was destroyed by wrongly!!!

I contacted the helpdesk and here is the answer: "We are sorry to inform you that an unforeseen problem with our server management system caused irrepressible damage to the container and we are unable to recover the vps.".

I can't understand how both of my VPSes destroyed at the same time. Anyone here to explain these situation?

I was using each VPS to backup other one. So I don't have any backup on my side. All of backups was hold in VPSes. I never mind that both of my VPSes would be destroyed at the same time!

Ouch, sounds like a painful experience, but come on, that's why people move backups to external nodes and not keep them on the same servers. ^.^

Report your IPs to moderators for verification (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/report.php?p=7384750) if you haven't done so.
    How can you factor in VAT when comparing since you are subject to VAT on everything? Obviously purchases made outside the EU are not going to be collected with VAT, but are you not still responsible to pay it on your own? - Tim Flavin from "Hostigation.com"

They were already on the different servers. "unforeseen problem with our server management system" (claimed by Burst) has caused that problem!

I have just reported my IPs. Thank you.

That's unfortunate, you may try getting more detail as to what happened, why it happened, and what they're doing to fix/prevent it in the future... Beyond that - I hope you had backups if your data was important.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

It is advisable to have your backups in a geographicly diverse locations - like on another continent...

i got the same - i noticed the other day one of my vps's was reporting 99999999gb bandwidth usage, so i assume something was fscked up with their veportal install.

luckily i did an rsync backup yesterday to my local pc, so now uploading back to the new containers.

pretty poor that they didn't send out notifications or a proper explanation, but at least they got replacement vps's up fast (even though it seems they don't do their own backups!)

Quote Originally Posted by rds100 View Post
    It is advisable to have your backups in a geographicly diverse locations - like on another continent...
    Honestly - if the whole continent loses all of your data, you've probably got bigger problems than data backups.

I've lost all of my datas in over 200 sites. Most of them were using databases. So I have some useless php codes without databases. Starting from scratch is nearly impossible for me.

They don't give any information about why causes these situation. They claimed that "unforeseen problem with their server management system" caused destroying container. They give me just installed VPSes. I wonder what I will do with empty servers.

Quote Originally Posted by ercang View Post
    They were already on the different servers. "unforeseen problem with our server management system" (claimed by Burst) has caused that problem!

I have just reported my IPs. Thank you.

Do you mean they mistakenly destroyed all your vps?
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Yes, both of 2 vpses destroyed by mistake. I know, it's impossible to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    Do you mean they mistakenly destroyed all your vps?
    That seems to be the case... I know we once deleted the wrong VPS as the VPS ID was saved wrong in our billing system but we promptly restored it from a backup made a few hours prior.

If he hadn't had backups that client would have been hosed, thankfully we did.

Ideally backups will at least be with a different provider in a different data center. Having them in geographically disperse locations is a bonus.

In addition to backups to different providers in different data centers, I also rsync the data to my home system, so I'll have a secondary backup.

Sorry for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    That seems to be the case... I know we once deleted the wrong VPS as the VPS ID was saved wrong in our billing system but we promptly restored it from a backup made a few hours prior.

If he hadn't had backups that client would have been hosed, thankfully we did.
    This is the reason I do not like to use automated script :-)
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

As I understand from sej7278's post, I'm not alone. I'm unlucky because I trust Burst and made my backups on their products.

I've lost all of my datas in over 200 sites. Most of them were using databases. So I have some useless php codes without databases. Starting from scratch is nearly impossible for me.
    wow and i was pi55ed from losing my basic mailserver!

you sure you don't have backups of your databases though - you don't need a mysqldump, you can just restore the /var/lib/mysql/ files usually.

i'm restoring now and noticed they still don't have NTP working, the time is still an hour out.

i'm glad i set the dns ttl to 15secs, so it propagates instantly and doesn't take the usual day or more, as they've given us all new ip's too.

edit: just re-read you backed up one to the other, not a good tactic, but that's not what you want to hear right now, man i feel bad for you, i feel pretty sh1tty myself having to waste a weekend restoring servers.

mine are budget servers, so i expect they lost their entire server farm (assuming they're not just overselling 1-2 servers).
    Last edited by sej7278; 04-09-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sej7278 View Post
    you sure you don't have backups of your databases though - you don't need a mysqldump, you can just restore the /var/lib/mysql/ files usually.
    They don't give me any files from VPS. And I have nothing left from my sites. I'll never trust any service provider and I'll backup all of my data to my home pc. If I can establish any new site of course.

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    This is the reason I do not like to use automated script :-)
    It wasn't automatic, it was a manual termination but the VZ ID was wrong. It was caught just as the termination button was clicked but that's unfortunately a tad too late

As I understand from sej7278's post, I'm not alone. I'm unlucky because I trust Burst and made my backups on their products.
    You are not alone! They ruined my VPS too. And they believe I need their new VPS... what the f** i need it for now?..

They don't give me any files from VPS. And I have nothing left from my sites.
    Well, that is because they have nothing to give since it was destroyed already.
    Specially 4 You

Quote Originally Posted by decypher93 View Post
    You are not alone! They ruined my VPS too. And they believe I need their new VPS... what the f** i need it for now?..
    I think so. I don't need their f***ing new VPS.

Was this just in their UK spot or has their been users in their US spot affected as well?

There is a thread on LowEndTalk but only UK people have come forward so far.

Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by decypher93 View Post
    Well f** I don't know what you would f***ing do with a f***ing new vps... Maybe restore your f***ing backups that you should have been taking, f**...

On a serious note, there's no real need to use "f**, f***, or f***ing", we all understand you're mad but it won't help anything.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    Was this just in their UK spot or has their been users in their US spot affected as well?

There is a thread on LowEndTalk but only UK people have come forward so far.

Francisco
    Both of my VPSes are in their UK datacenter. But because of their server management system, it may be occur in all datacenters.

I hope they let me download the backup from US vps before they destroy it as well. Anyway they won't see any peny from me anymore.

with veportal's security record i expect someone hacked it and deleted all our vps's.

i'd like a proper explanation from burstnet - do we need to change all our passwords etc; or was it just a hardware issue?

in the email it says their staff are looking at the logs, which sounds like they have no clue what went wrong, i.e. they've been hacked.

Both of my VPSes are in their UK datacenter. But because of their server management system, it may be occur in all datacenters.
    Their UK systems are completely separate from their USA systems, so you're wrong to suggest this could happen elsewhere. Sure, it's bad what's happened, but there's no need to invent more problems.

Quote Originally Posted by F-DNS View Post
    Their UK systems are completely separate from their USA systems, so you're wrong to suggest this could happen elsewhere. Sure, it's bad what's happened, but there's no need to invent more problems.
    yes, they practically run it as a completely separate company, even support addresses etc. are different in uk to usa.

According to the OP they stated it was due to their server management system, Which would be vePortal. In which case it would effect all locations if it was an vePortal exploit due to the fact they use vePortal to manage everything.

(assuming they're not just overselling 1-2 servers).
    They have a lot more than 1 or 2 servers. Fortunately they also have a lot more than 1 or 2 support staff - Kudos to the night-shift guys who've been recreating VPSs and sending new details like crazy

They explained that their server management system caused the destroys. I suppose that they are using the same system in their different locations. It may occur. I don't mean it will, but it's on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by 123Systems-Andrew View Post
    In which case it would effect all locations if it was an vePortal exploit due to the fact they use vePortal to manage everything.
    Not so Andrew. Manchester is a completely different setup to their USA gear. My stuff at all their USA locations is buzzing along nicely, including the backup server sending stuff back over to Manchester (phew!)

guys who've been recreating VPSs and sending new details like crazy
    can imagine the faces of the guys they believed nobody gonna notice the losses.

Not so Andrew. Manchester is a completely different setup to their USA gear. My stuff at all their USA locations is buzzing along nicely, including the backup server sending stuff back over to Manchester (phew!)
    Right but it does not necessarily mean it can not and will not happen, If it is an exploit in the vePortal software than the USA location can still be effected. Air on the side of caution and take your backups in the event because neglecting the situation just because it hasn't happened yet is denial.

It may occur. I don't mean it will, but it's on the table.
    That sounds a bit like a weather forecast

Sorry, I don't mean to sound flipant - I know that there's gonna be folks screaming because they don't have remote backups. It happens every time a host has an event like this.

Air on the side of caution and take your backups in the event because neglecting the situation just because it hasn't happened yet is denial.
    Understood. I'm OK - I've got backups of backed-up backups dotted all around the place, almost beyond phobia level LOL But you and I both know there's gonna be an outburst (no pun intended) from those that thought it would never happen and it's all someone else's fault that they haven't got backups, right?

Understood. I'm OK - I've got backups of backed-up backups dotted all around the place, almost beyond phobia level LOL But you and I both know there's gonna be an outburst (no pun intended) from those that thought it would never happen and it's all someone else's fault that they haven't got backups, right?
    Totally agreed, There will be people that complain about it happening and the fact they did not maintain proper backups on their budget unmanaged server. But everyone here shouldn't be mislead by claims that say the USA will not be effected (No offense F-DNS). I understand you maintain your backups but I'm willing to guarantee there are a lot of other people that do not. So it would be wise for them regardless if the location may or may not be effected to take backups now to avoid having to come here and complain about losing their data.

Although i would like to hope that considering this was 2 hours ago (If it was an exploit) that BurstNET has done something to prevent it in their USA locations. Someone from BurstNET will come in eventually and let everyone know what's going on though.

to be fair though F-DNS, would any of us run a hosting service without having backups of our client's containers?

i've got local backups, but its still a day's downtime or so uploading it all, changing dns and passwords and emailing people explaining why you can't be contacted etc.

if burstnet had a backup mechanism in place, we could ALL have been back online in a couple of hours. i mean 2tb disks are cheap as chips right, and why couldn't they at least assign us our old ip addresses?

i'm thinking of getting another couple of vps's from another provider in the usa perhaps, and running a daily rsync between them, at least that way i can instantly be back online (just change dns) and lose under a day's data. of course it doubles the hosting costs....

Although i would like to hope that considering this was 2 hours ago (If it was an exploit) that BurstNET has done something to prevent it in their USA locations. Someone from BurstNET will come in eventually and let everyone know what's going on though.
    i just got confirmation from burstnet support that it was not due to a hacker.

wating burstnet reply here

to be fair though F-DNS, would any of us run a hosting service without having backups of our client's containers?
    If you make it obvious you're not backing the systems up then I don't see the issue. Ultimately at burst's pricing there are simply some things they're not going to be able to do in some cases to meet that price point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast