How to assign private nameservers on Hetzner.de?

Hello,

I was wondering, how would I go about setting up private name servers for my dedicated server at Hetzner.de?

I want my name servers to be like this:

ns1.server.com
    ns2.server.com

Since Hetzner.de only gives 1 IP per server, what would I need to do in order to get private name servers?

They have a feature called "Nameserver Robot" but I havn't ordered this yet and might not know how to configure the settings correctly.

I'm just wondering whether any existing users of Hetzner.de know how to set up the private name servers and would like to share some knowledge.

Thank you!

You can request additional IP or just point ns1. and ns2. to the same IP.

Hi,
    Just order 2 more IPs(+2 Euros/month added to your bill) and configure them on your machine. Remember to add the nameserver parents to your domain name to point to the IP address you selected for the specific nameserver.
    Example:
    You have ns1.site.com and ns2.site.com and IP addresses 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3
    You decide that:
    ns1.site.com resolves to 192.168.0.2
    ns2.site.com resolves to 192.168.0.3

Check with your hosting for your current NS such as ns1.resellerns.com and ns2.resellerns.com.
    Go chek their IP adresses.
    Go to your domain registrar.
    Create two DS according to your need.
    Add domain server according to that IP from ns1 and ns2 of your reseller given to your domain.

Go to your WHM or cpanel advanced DNS.
    Put that IP on A record accordingly.

Wait for it to propagate in around 24 to 48 hours.

You're done.

@BP Host,

Hetzner is an unmanaged Dedicated and VPS provider. They only give out resolvers . Please try not to give general advice because this is not the case.
    @ppwill,

If you need any help, please PM. I also have a few servers @ Hetzner and I know the drill around there.

You go to your domain registrar and register both ip as nameservers, setup the records on that server and your done.

You need 1 IP and it has NOTHING to do with the datacenter on what NS you can use.

@Visbits,
    I get the feeling that he needs a step by step guide from someone. Also, while I agree that in some cases it's ok to use just 1 IP to set up nameservers, I don't encourage this. My prefered setup would be 2 NS distributed geographically.

@ARPLink, instaed of giving advice on what other people are saying why don't yourself give an advice based on your thinking?

Me and other repliers are giving what we know, should you have better option that well suited to TS please share.
    Otherwise don't judge others.

@ARPLink, should this is you client. Please go private and not publishing it here.

@BP Host,
    Calm down... As I said before, he is asking for something more specific, not just general knowledge on how to set up his nameservers.

And for your own confort and big ego I'll post a mini-tutorial on how he can do this just to show you that you were way off with the reply.

@ppwill,

1.Log on to http://robot.your-server.de
    2.Go to Servers section
    3.Go to Ordering of additional IP, failover IP or subnet(red hyperlink on the bottom of the page)
    4.Select One additional IP with costs
    5.Complete Purpose of use box with something like this: nameserver use
    6.Repeat steps 3 to 5 to order the second IP address
    Note: You can also order a /29 subnet(6 IP addresse) for 15 E/month. If you want this option just replace 4. with One additional subnet /29 and ignore 6.

After Hetzner gives you the IP addresses, log in your cPanel account, go to Add a New IP Address and add the IP addresses.

After this, use log in on root using SSH, and edit /etc/nameserverips
    Steps:
    1. nano /etc/nameserverips
    2. locate the IP addresses that you want to use for the nameservers, and edit them so they look something like this(the following is just an example so addapt it to your real IP addresses and nameservers):
    192.168.0.1=0
    192.168.0.2=ns1.site.com
    192.168.0.3=ns2.site.com
    192.168.0.4=0
    3. After you finish editing, save and exit(Ctrl+X)

Now, go to WHM, to Basic cPanel & WHM Setup, add the nameservers in Nameservers section(if they don't already exist) and click on Add an A entry for this nameserver. In the new window just click Add Entry.

After this is done, go to your domain control panel(probably on your registar's page) and add the new nameservers + add parent nameservers(the easiest way to spot this section is to look for a nameserver entry form with additional IP boxes for every nameserver). In this section just add:
    ns1.site.com 192.168.0.2
    ns2.site.com 192.168.0.3

Remember, adapt the example to your real IP addresses and nameservers.

Also, you might have already done this, if you want to make sure your hostname is set up, go to WHM, go to Change Hostname, section Change Hostname, add the hostname you like and then click Change.

After this, stay in WHM and go to Add an A Entry for your Hostname and just click Add Entry.

P.S. Make sure you have selected a Nameserver(I prefer BIND, but NSD will also work). To check this, go to WHM, Nameserver Selection, select BIND and then click Save.

That's about all.

Happy now BP Host? This is not my client. Just trying to lend a hand to a fellow datacenter client.

Especially with NSes u really should have some type of redundancy. I would recommend either using a provider such as DNSMadeEasy. You can also go the much cheaper route by purchasing 1 more IP for your server which costs ~$2 (due to the terrible exchange rate).

DNSMadeEasy would be the best option. I have a bit of experience with it. Not much, but enough.. and I loved it ever since.

--cP

@ARPLink,
    That's what I'm talking about.
    Should you have posted this a while ago, I would not have to say what I've saidm

My sincere apology should you feel offended in any way. Doesn't mean to.

Thanks for the explanation. @ppwill, I think you've had your explanation.

@BP Host,
    Don't worry about it. I just hope it resolves his problem .

@ARPLink,
    Yeah Thanks.

@ARPLink

I doubt if this can be done in that way. They don't give you IP addresses for name servers (Some RIPE guideline issues). May be you need to buy another server. They however have another product called Domain Name Registration robot. I believe at least the secondary name server can be configured there (But I don't know how). I too have a need to do this. If anyone has done it, I really appreciate some guidelines. Their interface is new to me, so I am wondering how to go about doing this. May be I should contact the support.

@kamalw,

Which part didn't you read? I have some servers with them and that is a step by step guide for private nameservers based on my setup at Hetzner. You're statement is logical... they don't give you IPs, you buy the IPs from them .
    The only thing they don't stand for is Xen routing, and that's a whole other story.

They do not let yo buy additional IP addresses for name servers. I ordered one day before yesterday and they refused to give (let me purchase) it. May be you purchased some time ago when the policies were not that tight? Or else, you probably had purchased the additional IP addresses for some other reasons (which they are OK with) and use them for name servers too.

Did it ever occur to you that when you said you wanted the IPs for nameservers, they thought about public nameservers? I happen to have a OpenVZ node on one of the servers... About 20 VPSs are hosted on it and they all have their private nameservers and IPs. Now how come they gave me IPs for that? That server is about 2-3 months old.

I simply put something very close to "for a DNS server" in the "purpose" box. Then they replied to me saying no. Reason given was violation of RIPE guidelines. Then I read the RIPE guidelines and felt that this was probably for IPv4 address conservation (I may be wrong). Throughout the day I had multiple conversations with them and explained my need, how I would configure it in detail. My request didn't go through.

So I ordered the Domain Registration Robot (no set up fee). I got it today and now wondering how to proceed. I am troubled by the UI and the documentation in German. I would ideally like to read the entire doc and proceed (At least that will help me in determining different options and how I want to use it). Google translation did help to some extent, but still I have doubts as to how to use the Domain Registration Robot. Before sending so many queries to the support line, I felt like doing some homework. That's how I ended up here and writing this

I feel that this Domain Registration Robot has some good things with it including good load balancing. Only problem is learning how to use it. Primary and secondary hosting seem to be charged 0.5+ EUROs per domain per year.

May be you requested IP addresses specifically for VPS and didn't say they were for DNS?

You can set ns1 and ns2 to the same IP.
    Its a waste to get another IP for a nameserver on the same physical server, since there is no redundancy there, which is the only point in having 2 nameservers.

Also, you do not need 2 nameservers anyway, a domain will work with only 1 nameserver.
    The only reason to add more nameservers is for redundancy, if the second nameservers is on the same physical server, or the site is only hosted on one server, there is no point in adding a second nameserver.
    High Quality Web Hosting from Host Ultra
    Visit us online at www.hostultra.com

@kamalw,

That's just what I said. I asked for IPs, paid for them and used them. I never said I asked for IPs specifficaly for nameserver use. They get their money, I get my nameservers and everybody is happy. You should try it if you're planning only to use the nameservers for shared/vps hosting.

@Host Ultra,

What about the tiny little rule where the domain requests min. 2 nameservers? Ignore that, too? Your logic is good, but theory and practice are not quite the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ARPLink View Post
    What about the tiny little rule where the domain requests min. 2 nameservers? Ignore that, too? Your logic is good, but theory and practice are not quite the same thing.
    Maybe your using a registrar that hasn't updated their system in 10 years, but that 2 nameserver rule no longer applies.
    I have many domains with 1 nameserver, registered with enom.
    High Quality Web Hosting from Host Ultra
    Visit us online at www.hostultra.com

oh yeah... enom . I used them about 5 years ago and got tired of the over strict policies. Good luck with them .

I have names from several registrars including some country specific domains. I really doubt if they will accept a one name server approach.

Technically, I doubt if I need redundancy. If my server goes down, all services go down. What to do with only the names resolving?

Anyway, this is the first time I am hearing about a one name server approach. Haven't seen it documented anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by kamalw View Post
    I have names from several registrars including some country specific domains. I really doubt if they will accept a one name server approach.

Technically, I doubt if I need redundancy. If my server goes down, all services go down. What to do with only the names resolving?

Anyway, this is the first time I am hearing about a one name server approach. Haven't seen it documented anywhere.
    Host email offsite so you don't lose it. Be able to set up a temporary page or redirect to a status page. Etc.

Kept aside the technical risk, I think what I need is to minimize the business risk of having all the hosts with one provider.

Can you guys suggest alternatives to Hetzner with comparable price ranges? I should then be able to build full service redundancy and wouldn't be troubled by one service provider's limitations. Within an year period, I mostly need another two - three dedicated servers.

I searched and came across www dot online dot net (also called dedibox?) with way too cool offers. Unfortunately the French company seems to sell servers to locals only.

Problem solved. I purchased a vps from Leaseweb as a temporary solution until I need more capacity in the secondary server.

They activated the server in minutes. Once I logged into the Self Service Center, I saw a bonus gift. In the Domains -> Secondary Servers section, you can enter any number of domains for which Leaseweb's own secondary name server is allowed to be use as the secondary server. The primary server can be anything and need not be limited to the servers you purchase from Leaseweb (It looks like the case, I will verify in a day or two). Best of all, that's for no extra fee.

Now I don't need the secondary name server in the VPS

I can use the VPS as the backup mail route (secondary MX) and also backup (rsync) some critical data.

Anyway, I will need more servers in the coming months. So far I have found the following good deals:

http://www.server4you.com/root-serve...ts=0,1,2,3,4,5
    http://www.ovh.com/fr/produits/offres_dedies.xml

I have the same problem with Hetzner, I currently have websites hosted on Easyspace VPS, Media Temple and Just Host, I want to move them all over to the EQ 4 I've just bought but setting up the nameservers is something I've never done before...

ARPLink could you maybe drop me a message if you have time I think you're the best person to talk to and I want to explain my situation in-depth, I'd really appreciate it.

@benz1ne,
    Glad to help. Only problem is that you have PMs deactivated . This should solve your problem:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...3&postcount=10

If you need help, just ask.
    cPanel HelpNet - cPanel, Linux, Virtualization tutorials, guides and more

Thanks, I can follow that quite easily, I've ordered the 2 IP's I need and I'm waiting on Hetnzer now... I have the domain I want to use as my nameserver hosted on Media Temple will this make any difference to my website if it's used as the nameservers?

And to top all of this off, I can't find where to enable PM's... I feel like a complete idiot.