Thread: Shared to VPS

Shared to VPS

I have a cron job that runs for couple minutes and it is not welcomed in my current host so I am looking for a VPS.
    My current host has 4 GB of memory and Quad Xeon(R) CPU 5130. The speed and service has been great so I am trying to figure out what kind of memory would I need in the VPS.
    I will not be selling the resources, everything will be used for my own processes, so I am thinking I should need something like 512MB but want to get the experts opinion since I am clueless.

This site will use CakePHP as a framework and pull info from MySQL. Since this site has not been launched I can not tell you the visitor count but lets say 1000 a day.

Thanks

Sounds like an entry level VPS, but what does this cron job do exactly?
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

I don't think I understood your initial post. Are you currently on shared web hosting?

For your VPS how much are you looking to spend?
    Disk Space and Bandwidth?
    RAM?
    Control Panel?

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

Quote Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
    Sounds like an entry level VPS, but what does this cron job do exactly?
    It grabs links from xml/rss and it fetches information from those links. Could have hundreds of links.
    So what do you think about the memory of the VPS, what should be a good start for me?

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    I don't think I understood your initial post. Are you currently on shared web hosting?

For your VPS how much are you looking to spend?
    Disk Space and Bandwidth?
    RAM?
    Control Panel?

- Daniel
    Yes, I am currently on a shared host. I was asking for help to determine the RAM size I would need for VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by secrets View Post
    Yes, I am currently on a shared host. I was asking for help to determine the RAM size I would need for VPS.
    Are you currently using cPanel? If yes then 512 will not be enough. Look for something with at least 768MB to 1GB to be on the safe side.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

It grabs links from xml/rss and it fetches information from those links. Could have hundreds of links.
    So what do you think about the memory of the VPS, what should be a good start for me?
    This isn't something I can give you an exact answer for, but it doesn't sound too serious, I'd start with 512mb (or 1gb if you're using cpanel) and go from there. Rough guess.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

Thanks for both advices.

Daniel,
    Will your VPS package allow me to run the cron jobs I want as described above?

Thanks

Why waste ram on Cpanel? You can easy configure your website with SSH.

I have a site that does that; its actually an aggregator site running Wordpress as the front end, and it snags the first few lines of the posts and any images for display. It runs the cron job several times a day, and even with the Wordpress overhead, it runs fine on a shared VPS with 29 other sites on it. The VPS I have includes cPanel/WHM and has 1GB of RAM, and 2 cores at 2.4GHz for CPU and OpenVZ virtualization.

If you can get by without cPanel, I would think a 512MB VPS would work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    Are you currently on shared web hosting?
    the OP already stated in this thread title

@OP
    In general, you can run your own cron without any restriction by most of the host. However, if your application or VPS keep on giving high load to node and affected other user, I don't think any host will allow.
    Try to lengthen the interval of each cron. this might help for server stability.
    ControlVM.com :: Cloud Hosting Reliable Xen VPS :: Serving Customer From More Than 40 Countries.
    Hosting Services Available in the USA ● Germany ● Malaysia ● Singapore and Hong Kong

512MB for cPanel + some extra, so say 640+. Add more if needed.

Thanks for all the feedback. I have chosen a VPS with 1.5 gb ram with Cpanel to be on the safe side.

This site will use CakePHP as a framework and pull info from MySQL. Since this site has not been launched I can not tell you the visitor count but lets say 1000 a day.
    In my experience, CakePHP is slower and more memory-intensive than other PHP frameworks. Of course, it's a nice framework. But if you have not written any code, you may wish to consider CodeIgniter, which is a little more lightweight. It has a nice set of libraries, though the model in the "M" of "MVC" is not quite as detailed.

Just an opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by raindog308 View Post
    In my experience, CakePHP is slower and more memory-intensive than other PHP frameworks. Of course, it's a nice framework. But if you have not written any code, you may wish to consider CodeIgniter, which is a little more lightweight. It has a nice set of libraries, though the model in the "M" of "MVC" is not quite as detailed.

Just an opinion...
    Thanks for your opinion raindog308.
    I wrote a Codeigniter app for one of the controllers to compare it to CakePHP and it did use less memory and it loaded faster so I started converting my code to Codeigniter. This will save me some valuable resources.

According to your website job, i don't think that it will fit on 512MB ..