Hosters will win?

I have been following this company for some time, and came across this blog recently posted. I originally met them at a Parallels conference, they spoke to me about how to offer mobile, and I just hadn't made up my mind. They posted this BLOG about how offering mobile is necessity, but offering it now (versus later) is to the hoster's advantage because mobile is becoming a commodity. It's an interesting point of discussion, and I wanted to ask opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by mariagonzalez View Post
    I have been following this company for some time, and came across this blog recently posted. I originally met them at a Parallels conference, they spoke to me about how to offer mobile, and I just hadn't made up my mind. They posted this BLOG about how offering mobile is necessity, but offering it now (versus later) is to the hoster's advantage because mobile is becoming a commodity. It's an interesting point of discussion, and I wanted to ask opinions.
    I don't think its that popular at the moment, most people either email or call.

I feel that no one wants to take the time to wait for a phone to load up some net and browse a site with what lets say max 3 inch by 3 inch screen.

Anyhow thats my honest opinion maybe others feel different.
    Last edited by Dustin Cisneros; 04-08-2011 at 12:28 PM.

I am assuming this may be many's perspective. I just wonder if in 5 years, we will still rely on our desktops so much? Or then, will it be phones? Tablets? Both? Either?

The nice thing about an optimized mobile site is it reduces load time on a phone because your phone does not have to load the whole site. So it makes searching on your phone more convenient and user friendly. Plus, it fits in your pocket.

I have Google's Nexus S, and I use the web all the time for restaurants, hotels, and for promotions from Living Social and Groupon. It's helpful for me, and the one's that are optimized aren't so hard on my poor eyes.

My opinion may be biased based on their other blog I read. They have just started posting blogs. But both have made me think and curious enough to start a thread.

Well portable internet is growing everyday. We must expect some new services and products that will facilitate this change.

I surf the web alot on my mobile. If sites are mobile friendly, I probably would visit them more - if they have content that I'm looking for.

Think about some of the bigger websites that are already mobile friendly:
    - Most airlines (I love having my eticket on my mobile)
    - Travel sites like Kayak (they have mobile apps too)
    - eBay, PayPal
    - News sites

If people are easily empowered to make their websites mobile friendly - they probably will do it. If it costs them alot to do so - maybe not so much. I can see it being a good value-added service though.

Just my two cents
    CityWideHost.com - Web Hosting YOUR Way!
    Non-Oversold cPanel Hosting, Webmaster Services, Web Design, and Asterisk PBX Management!
    24/7 Support - Powered by Bobcares!

I use my phone more than my laptop. I'd be lost without it.
    Bayouspace Hosting
    Reliable, Full Featured cPanel Shared Hosting, with REAL 24/7 SUPPORT
    Established 11/2009, WHT member since 2003
    http://www.bayouspace.com

Certainly something for all providers of web services to keep in mind. I've long since done away with my desk top as my laptop has as much (or more) memory and speed as any desk top ever did.
    I have used my phone for checking email and YIM but found it to be awkward and hard to navigate. I'm sure that the newer phones are much easier and its something that's inevitable.
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

These are all really good comments. I am going to deploy a mobile application on my control panel, so users can make mobile sites and app versions of their website. I have been thinking about this long and hard, but if I can provide a scalable, and budget-friendly model like citywidehost is talking about, I think going mobile really may become standard for us hosters. Thanks for everyone's input so far. It makes my thoughts about mobile less confusing. =)

I'm old school. I use my laptops for surfing the web and email, and my cell phone for talking. My cell phone doesn't even have a qwerty keyboard and it's not smart. Mobile devices are cars, trains, and walkers. But that's just me. But I do believe the future is in mobile computing.

Quote Originally Posted by bayouhost_tonya View Post
    I use my phone more than my laptop. I'd be lost without it.
    And with the net coming cheaper and cheaper on the phone ...
    The idea is that I have a mobile phone for 10 years. I'm used to take it with me. A laptop due mainly to it's weight and dimensions ... I would really have to work on it to take it with me.
    Still the phone wins: it is small / I have all kind of app ( what I do on the laptop, I do it on the phone ) / the net is cheap on the phone.
    Coupon Site Script - Turnkey Affiliate Moneymaking Business

Code Coupon Discount - Coupon Site Script in Action

Mobile will be all in one in future but at present it is not leading. At present email is mostly prefer and due to this I think, there is time to win to Hosters.

Phone is ok if you just need to check/answer email but if it is for ssh and fixing things, I would go for my laptop.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

I do use my phone for looking up information quite a lot when I'm out and about. After realising how much it's come in handy, I've started making my own websites mobile friendly.

I hope more sites start doing the same as mobile internet use continues to grow along with smart phones.

For today its not really popular but perspective of mobile is really huge!

There is no doubt that the days of mobile computing is coming fast.

The phones are getting smarter and smarter. Heck, they are even coming out with one that docks with a fake laptop to give a full sized keyboard, and I am sure, that with that, they will make it more and more possible for things like FTp and SSH aps on your phone. It is just a matter of time.

I can see the coming need for the end users before the hosts though. But for keeping in touch with server monitors, and email while away from the office, my new phone is great. I may be a bit old school too, but I finally broke down and got a smart phone. Takes a bit of time to learn, but now it is great.
    I do agree that hosts that offer mobile aps and software will take a good share of the market in the coming years, but programmers need to keep in mind, that they need to make it affordable for the hosts, if they want to sell their software now.
    The economy is too volatile at this time to shell out too much on this yet, so affordable is where it is at.

Tim L
    Superior Host LLC - Quality Web Hosting since 1998
    We really do support you like no other
    Secure, ultra reliable hosting
    Website Maintenace Plans and a Personal Level of Support