help me choose cloud host for my needs plz

hello, i posted the below in anothr thread for VPS service, and the answeres were very helpful and informative, but didnt give host choices, plz suggest someone for my needs and price range.

I tried several shared hosts (Ipage and Bluehost..) with very bad results, Constant crashes of their cruddy servers and terrible tech support. i have a new, but growing blog (mostly photos and embedded entertainment videos, with only 5k unique views a day, but thats partly because of the daily crashes) that i Need a reliable VPS host for. Please give me an honest recommendation for an affordable reliable host that i should look at. cost is an issue currently but most important is no downtime and good tech support (as im new to administering a site) Thanks in advance for your suggestions and any advice. have a good day

Hello,

VPS and Cloud Servers are definitely a different category of hosting from your current shared hosting arrangement. As I imagine you're aware, it's a private environment not shared with any other customers.

So you may wish to look at a host that includes Full Management (and be careful that it is true full management, not semi-managed with fancy marketing. You want a host that will setup, maintain, and administrative your server as it was their own. They'll install PHP modules, perform security hardening and optimizations, and various other tasks and pretty much whatever you ask for. Think of it as your outsourced server administrator). Otherwise, as you mentioned cost is a concern it can grow rather expensive being fully managed for a more boutique style host that charges a-la-carte and takes a more hands on approach to management. Many providers charge $100/mo+ just for the management so when taking the first step into this realm of hosting it may prove beneficial to go for the host that includes it in their base price already.

The quality of service should dramatically improve as well. Be sure whoever you choose is providing you with guaranteed, dedicated resources. Some VPS and Cloud Server providers do not do this and you could end up with a lot of the same problems you've already experienced, just paying more.

I would agree with cloudweb on this one - a fully manage host means that you don't have to worry about the set up (and running) of the server. VPS is a natural migration from shared hosting and the cloud offers you the ability to be flexible in regards to handling traffic fluctuations.

thanks for the responses. so any suggestions as far as a specific host?

can i get a fully managed cloud or vps host for my range of 40 - 80 a month? please give some host suggestions, as there are so many choices out there, and i would hate to pick an unreliable one again. i went with ipage and bluehost because of their size, and it was nothing but constant headaches. they only hurt my site and traffic. i guess cloud is more expensive than vps? if my price-range is unrealistic for a fully managed (truly dedicated) cloud host, then plz suggest some that you have used and trust as far as VPS. i've had enough of the daily crashes and, Thank you again for any advice and suggestions

I would recommend gigenet. Great support, fast servers, redundant service. Starts at 20usd. You have the cloud advantage of scaling as and when you need. I'm assuming your running live encoders for video conversions. They have some good ram options. Unfortunately, they don't provide managed hosting on their cloud servers. However their support team is knowledgeable & prompt, if you're willing to learn, you might end up saving a lot & can spend that money on server upgrades rather than support. Voxels a great option too, they start at 75usd though for an empty server, load it with a control panel & your upto 90 + diskspace. Managed support is 150usd an hour. Advantage is you can select the server location & they have some excellent server management & monitoring tools.

Good luck

Please Visit Cloud Vertex to know more about cloud as well as chose from an entire ranges of cloud services available.

Quote Originally Posted by watarabbit View Post
    can i get a fully managed cloud or vps host for my range of 40 - 80 a month? please give some host suggestions, as there are so many choices out there, and i would hate to pick an unreliable one again. i went with ipage and bluehost because of their size, and it was nothing but constant headaches. they only hurt my site and traffic. i guess cloud is more expensive than vps? if my price-range is unrealistic for a fully managed (truly dedicated) cloud host, then plz suggest some that you have used and trust as far as VPS. i've had enough of the daily crashes and, Thank you again for any advice and suggestions
    Thats a reasonable budget for finding a managed virtual cloud server solution, i'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find a provider that can offer you this

Generally, yes, true cloud hosting is going to be more expensive than your run-of-the-mill VPS due to the added cost involved in developing a cloud, and other factors including having a staff trained on troubleshooting cloud based issues, etc. The Cloud is more acceptable for mission critical applications and websites that simply can not risk having questionable reliability and performance.

The ability to easily scale during spurts of growth or high use is also something the Cloud can do, that your typical vps can't (easily).

Best of luck in your search.
    vpsBoard - An active resource for all things Virtual Private Servers. Tutorials, Guides, Offers and more!
    Come join the conversation! 90,000 posts and growing daily! The fastest growing hosting forum around!

I'm with knownhost.com for my all my managed VPS plans and I can't fault them, plans start at $25/month and on the rare occasion I have required support, they have been great

avoid amazon EC2 they have so many problems. they have outages all the time and support isn't very good. I was about to sign up and I heard all these problems all the time! I backed out.
    Something awesome
    coming soon....

I would suggest you to get a VPS with a control panel. It will be easy to manage. Also you should go with a VMware based VPS. they are a bit more expensive but more reliable.
    HPCHost
    Managed VMware Solutions | Public Cloud | Private Cloud | Dedicated Cloud

I am sure you will find something on that price range that is fully managed and suits your needs, we recently change all our infrastructure to cloud instead of the classic vps, the reason was the stability and ability to scale in the future.

Good luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by watarabbit View Post
    Offshore Hosting & High Privacy in Panama
    OnApp Cloud Servers & Shared Web Hosting | Daily Backups | 99.9% Uptime
    www.OffshoreRacks.com