Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Question 100TB on 1gbit or unmetered 366mbps?

So I signed up with a datacenter offering a 100TB deal on a 1gbit line, I am supposed to get to burst up to the full 1gbit line. Datacenter told me that I am bursting at 900mbps sustained for long periods of time and it is saturating the switch/degrading their network. They placed a burst cap on my server without telling me. After I questioned the slow speeds, they increased the burst cap to 366mbps.

So basically I now have an unmetered 366mbps line. I am a little worried about overage so I am not sure if this is a good thing or not. Should I stick with this unmetered 366mbps line or try to have them uncap it?

Quote Originally Posted by chasebug View Post
    So I signed up with a datacenter offering a 100TB deal on a 1gbit line, I am supposed to get to burst up to the full 1gbit line. Datacenter told me that I am bursting at 900mbps sustained for long periods of time and it is saturating the switch/degrading their network. They placed a burst cap on my server without telling me. After I questioned the slow speeds, they increased the burst cap to 366mbps.

So basically I now have an unmetered 366mbps line. I am a little worried about overage so I am not sure if this is a good thing or not. Should I stick with this unmetered 366mbps line or try to have them uncap it?
    If you paid for a 1Gbps line you are not getting what you paid for. It may mean your host does not really have sufficient network capacity to meet current customer requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaseWeb View Post
    If you paid for a 1Gbps line you are not getting what you paid for. It may mean your host does not really have sufficient network capacity to meet current customer requirements.
    Companies do that? I am just shocked, absolutely shocked that a provider would oversell their network. What is this world coming to? Next, people will be offering unlimited disk space...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Companies do that? I am just shocked, absolutely shocked that a provider would oversell their network. What is this world coming to? Next, people will be offering unlimited disk space...
    they oversell all the time

Your sarcasm is nicely put but inappropriate.

Here's what LeaseWeb said.
    does not really have sufficient network capacity to meet current customer requirements
    Here's the definition of overselling.
    Overselling refers to selling in excess of actual capacity.
    Basically, you can sell in excess of actual capacity, yet MEET customer requirements, because most customers buy over their needed capacity, often much more than needed.
    Whilst it's a heavy risk with one customer, the risk is greatly spread out over thousands.

Simply put, the host is terrible and OP should seek alternatives.
    If alternatives are not available due to price concerns.... then you get what you pay for, OP.

What are the fees for extra bandwidth over 100TB?
    file1.info :: 50GB secure cloudstorage with filemanager

If a website can use whole 1Gbps all the time and 330TB bandwidth per month, it must be a large traffic website like image hosting, file hosting or a really really large-traffic website.

So you'd better to buy dedicated 1Gbps port and bandwidth, do not choose cheap provider but stable one

If you are doing 900Mbps you are eventually doing way more than 100TB.

Quote Originally Posted by cresci View Post
    If you are doing 900Mbps you are eventually doing way more than 100TB.
    Not doing 900mbps 24/7 it is a burst.

Now you see what result you get with overselling if it peeks too much
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

Who's the provider?

Who's the provider?
    Not going to name the provider yet unless they do not reasonably resolve this to my satisfaction. I am still mad that they limited the burst limit to 130mbps without notifying me. I am wondering if I do not contact them about the slow speed, would they have just kept the speed at 130mbps forever?

I am supposed to be able to burst to the full 1gbps port, if this is the case, I should be on a dedicated port right? Any truth to what they are saying that their other customers are being affected from my bursting to 900mbps for a couple hours?

Any truth to what they are saying that their other customers are being affected from my bursting to 900mbps for a couple hours?
    That is possible but that can only mean their network has a very, very low capacity or their network planner did a pretty poor job of capacity planning.

Either way, this is not a host you want to stay with, especially the actions they took without informing you.
    That speaks volumes about their integrity, or the lack thereof.

IMHO, capping you anything below 366Mbps would be a mistake.
    If you wanted to actually use the full 100TB, you'd have to burst that 366Mbps 24/7. Since you want a more averaged usage... you could easily push twice that cap and stay under 100TB/mo.

Your provider is dumb for trying to match someone elses offering without considering wether they can make money at that level or not.
    Daved @ Lightwave Networking, LLC.
    AS1426 https:/www.lightwave.net
    Primary Bandwidth: EGIHosting (NLayer, NTT, HE, Cogent)
    Xen PV VPS Hosting

I am supposed to get to burst up to the full 1gbit line. Datacenter told me that I am bursting at 900mbps sustained for long periods of time and it is saturating the switch/degrading their network.
    You said you can burst to 1gbit, your provider more or less says you are sustaining close to that for long periods to the point of considering it "sustained". What's the fine print of "burst"? Sounds like you knew you are paying for a burstable shared port and are sustaining an unfair share. Either way, this lacks details of the offering to pass judgement IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by IH-Chris View Post
    You said you can burst to 1gbit, your provider more or less says you are sustaining close to that for long periods to the point of considering it "sustained". What's the fine print of "burst"? Sounds like you knew you are paying for a burstable shared port and are sustaining an unfair share. Either way, this lacks details of the offering to pass judgement IMO.
    Not true. I am allowed to burst up to 1gbps as much as I want until I use up all the bandwidth assigned to me. After I use up all the bandwidth of 100TB, I suppose the extra will be overage and I will be charged for them.

They nullrouted my server IP for 24 hours for using too much bandwidth even though I still have 70TB bandwidth remaining. Extremely angry.

They nullrouted my server IP for 24 hours for using too much bandwidth even though I still have 70TB bandwidth remaining. Extremely angry.
    Softlayer did? Was this at a peak bandwidth time? And what reason did they give you

Quote Originally Posted by reasonpolice View Post
    Softlayer did? Was this at a peak bandwidth time? And what reason did they give you
    As I said, I am not naming the company, still trying to work out a resolution. My advice is make sure you sign up with a reputable company that have the capacity to deliver the bandwidth so you won't run into this mess I am in right now.

As I said, I am not naming the company, still trying to work out a resolution. My advice is make sure you sign up with a reputable company that have the capacity to deliver the bandwidth so you won't run into this mess I am in right now.
    is this a US based provider ?

Yeah you're not helping the community if you dont call out the provider =)

If they sold you 100TB on a gigabit port, then they have no right to limit the portspeed, unless you used 100TB that month and did not agree to overusage charges.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    If they sold you 100TB on a gigabit port, then they have no right to limit the portspeed, unless you used 100TB that month and did not agree to overusage charges.
    Was just going to say.. It doesn't seem right. I have never heard of 100tb or SL null routing when they barely used 30% of their bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by jasdavids22 View Post
    Was just going to say.. It doesn't seem right. I have never heard of 100tb or SL null routing when they barely used 30% of their bandwidth.
    I would like to say that there are quite a couple of 100TB hosts now; the OP may not be referring to SL.

Quote Originally Posted by tsj5j View Post
    I would like to say that there are quite a couple of 100TB hosts now; the OP may not be referring to SL.
    It is not 100TB.com but right now I am still trying to work this out with the datacenter so will withhold the name until then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast