VPS for a busy and growing Wordpress blog

Hi,

I am looking for a good VPS for my Wordpress blog. The site currently gets 35,000 unique visitors a month, and 80,000 page views, and is currently using just under 40GB of bandwidth a month.

I would like to keep the bill under $50 a month, and would like a managed solution...The site spent it's first few years on Dreamhost shared hosting...so I am accustomed to easy configuration etc. So nothing too geeky that requires me to understand too much about whats going on. The site recently has been on Dreamhost's "VPS" system...and it's not working out. It's crashing the server, and they have been less than helpful and trying to help me sort it out.

The server needs to be hosted in the US where most of my visitors come from.

Any suggestions as to a good solution. I was about to signup with Media Temple on their DV plan, but they don't support paypal, so that's a bummer...So paypal as a payment method is also important.

Thanks, Simon

Do you have any location you want in the U.S?
    Any control panel?

What is your requirements on diskspace / bandwidth / memory (RAM)?

For your budget you will be able to get something decent for your site.. But please answer the above questions for us to better point you into a direction.

FusionNET Solutions - US/UK Locations | Adult/IRC Allowed! | DDoS Protected Networks!
    Fusion Powered: Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Dedicated Servers | Native IPv6 Available!
    202-505-HOST | LiteSpeed Support! | Live Web Chat!

ummm

Anywhere in the US is fine.

Diskspace isn't a huge requirement...10GB should be fine.

Given that the site currently uses 40GB of traffic I would want a bit of room to move with so 60-80GB of bandwidth...and scalable...

I am not sure on RAM, OS's etc...

To try and figure out what was going wrong on the DH VPS, I had a SSH session open on the site all yesterday, and it seems to hum along only using 150MB of ram most of the time, but then there are bigger spikes...which I not sure what causes them, doesn't seem to be traffic, and then the server crashes...So not sure...there could be another reason why the server is crashing other than a lack of resources, but I can't figure it out, and DH won't help me figure it out...so I want to move.

You should be good going with a good managed cpanel vps provider to start you off..

CentOS with cPanel.
    768MB or more Ram (Dedicated)
    40-60GB HD.
    60-100GB Bandwidth.
    Managed.
    2 IPv4 - nameservers/setup your site and such.

Is there anything extra you would need? IRC Allowed? Adult Allowed? anything to that type of requirements? That's actually important with looking for providers now days..

You can look in the VPS Offers section for promotions/specials company's have going on at this time if you would like also.

Also, Welcome to WHT !
    FusionNET Solutions - US/UK Locations | Adult/IRC Allowed! | DDoS Protected Networks!
    Fusion Powered: Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Dedicated Servers | Native IPv6 Available!

no

No real extra requirements...Just that they do a good job at hosting my Wordpress blog...I guess a nice fast low latency server that Hosts Wordpress with a few hungry plugins well!
    Last edited by pingable; 04-08-2011 at 02:23 AM.

Try searching for managed cPanel providers..

You will be able to find plenty in the VPS offers section..

Providers are not able to post offers and such in this section to people as it's against the rules, so your best options are to looking around at different company's signatures/offers/threads/etc to find out what they offer and then do some research on them or contact them directly through e-mail/ticket/live chat whichever and you can personally ask them with your requirements to see if they can fit something around your budget/needs.

You should be able to find something

Please let us know who you do decide to go with, and how your experience is with them.

If you have any questions feel free to ask us(the community) in this thread and I (myself) and the community will answer them to the best of our knowledge for you!

Good luck, best wishes on your search! Don't forget if you have any question's please do let us know so we can help you

If you were using a DreamHost VPS, I think they use OpenVZ.

You might be happier with a VPS that uses Xen, VMware, or KVM, as they have better memory management.

honestly

Honestly after reading offers and reviews for a few hours, I am no way any closer to deciding. They all seem like they are very similar...deals here and there, but is hard to compare...some have more experience and credentials, others, better prices...others talk more about their hardware specs...but when others don't how do you compare them to the ones that do.

Errrkkk my head hurts.

any possible way to contact you? email or something.

To mods, I am not going to offer him anything you can confirm from this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by david3 View Post
    If you were using a DreamHost VPS, I think they use OpenVZ.

You might be happier with a VPS that uses Xen, VMware, or KVM, as they have better memory management.
    they use linux vserver
    Please don't assume everyone needs a control panel.

Went with Wiredtree

I decided to go with Wiredtree...the reviews look great, and I decided it is worth paying a bit more for something really reliable. It was a toss up between them and KnownHost in the end. Hopefully it works out for the good.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by sandbox View Post
    Thanks. I'm not really familiar with Linux-VServer, so I'm not sure how it would compare to Xen or OpenVZ.

Quote Originally Posted by pingable View Post
    I decided to go with Wiredtree...the reviews look great, and I decided it is worth paying a bit more for something really reliable. It was a toss up between them and KnownHost in the end. Hopefully it works out for the good.

Good luck with WiredTree.

You won't go wrong with KnownHost or Wiredtree. My top 2 choices for managed VPS.

Just to clarify, we do indeed support PayPal. In order to make the PayPal payment, we would just need you to call into our billing department. From there, we can set up your account for future Paypal payments. Let me know if you are still interested in our (dv), or if you have any other questions regarding our services.
    Media Temple Customer Support
    Webhosting @ http://mediatemple.net

WiredTree has a good reputation around here (as does KnownHost), so I think you are on the right track.

Re: Wordpress, you might check your plugins and see if one of them is causing the spikes. Google XML Sitemaps and All-in-one-SEO have been cited as causing excessive CPU and memory use. I have a WP site using WP Syndication, and it spikes both when it polls the RSS feeds and imports the new content. The site is a news aggregator, so I don't have much choice in using that plug in. But for less important ones, it pays to disable those you don't need, or Google them to see if others have had performance problems.

I would checkout Knownhost as well, I use them for some of my websites and have had absolutely no problems. They help with third party scripts and configuring just about anything you need. I wouldn't think you would need to go with a VPS at 40gb bandwidth... you must have a lot of memory use with the blog?

Best of luck!

I would definitely look into ioflood.com. I moved some wordpress sites to ioflood a couple of months ago, and it's been smooth sailing ever since. Gabe made the transition seamless. He went above & beyond optimizing my VPS specifically for wordpress sites. We had a massive email conversation before I signed up where he worked up a custom solution specific to my needs. This included his recommendation for RAM, bandwidth, and SSD disk space. Tickets get answered usually within a couple of minutes. Hit him up for a quote, and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the level of service you receive. He's funkywizard on WHT.
    Last edited by Orien; 04-12-2011 at 10:59 PM. Reason: OP request

Quote Originally Posted by agentscarn View Post
    I would definitely look into ioflood.com. I moved some wordpress sites to ioflood a couple of months ago, and it's been smooth sailing ever since. Gabe made the transition seamless. He went above & beyond optimizing my VPS specifically for wordpress sites. We had a massive email conversation before I signed up where he worked up a custom solution specific to my needs. This included his recommendation for RAM, bandwidth, and SSD disk space. Tickets get answered usually within a couple of minutes. Hit him up for a quote, and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the level of service you receive. He's funkymonkey on WHT.
    Thanks for the kind words and recommendation. Just to clarify, my username is funkywizard
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    Thanks for the kind words and recommendation. Just to clarify, my username is funkywizard
    Glad you got it cleared

fshagan,
    you seem to know about wordpress and site speed. We have a VPS hosted site which google ranks 6 seconds to load.. What is the best way to diagnose the problem - is it hosting? or plugins?

The site recently has been on Dreamhost's "VPS" system...and it's not working out. It's crashing the server, and they have been less than helpful and trying to help me sort it out.
    I'm curious...is that because of DH support, was the VPS undersized, or was it just not a good system?

40GB of bandwidth with 80,000 hits sounds like something a good VPS could handle.

I had a similar situation buddy and testing with both Knownhost and UNixy

check them out

Definitely check out ServInt. Been a happy customer with them for a year and a half and don't have any complaints at all.