Reseller Acc taken Hostage, Ransom Paid!

How to persuade my host to unsuspend my accounts?

Im in a bit of a predicament with my host. Ive had a disagreement with him and now hes gone and suspended all of the accounts (about 18 of them) under my reseller account. Why?
    Heres the short story: Basically I think its because I disagreed that he started charging me for my WHMCS license which was previously included as part of my hosting. 3 invoices for WHMCS and 6 weeks later, the WHMCS license was finally suspended. Exactly as a host would do for non payment. I really couldnt justify the extra $120pa for 6 customers, especially on a disability pension. The initial invoice was cancelled, but two of them remained outstanding.

Four days ago I woke up to find all of my accounts suspended, not just the reseller account, but all the accounts as well, including those of my customers. After a brief email exchange with my host, I swallowed my pride and paid the 2 invoices, the 2 late fees AND the suspension fee, which now totalled $95. I cant really afford it, but I believed that if all outstanding payments were met, there would be no grounds to keep my accounts suspended. So far Im still wrong.

Ive sent numerous emails since, but all I get is:

Silence.

The funny thing is, by all accounts he appears to be a reputable host, none of the emails were either rude or threatening.

One other thing I noticed, is that my host is also a member of the forum here. Perhaps this opens up other possibilities?

Any suggestions / other avenues outside the box, as to how to persuade my host to unsuspend my accounts?

One other thing, my reseller hosting is paid for 12 months in advance, I still have another 9 months left to run. The accounts haven’t been terminated, just suspended. Correct me if I am wrong, but while the accounts are suspended, it’s still possible to unsuspend them? Once the accounts are terminated, then I’m history? I have faith that while they remain suspended, there’s still hope that I can get them back.

So if I read that correctly you paid the invoices 4 days ago and you have yet to be unsuspended? If that is the case then that is unacceptable. Provided that you are up to date on your payments, there is no reason for your account to be suspended.

Now I do think that it is a bit silly that it went from a free license to suddenly requiring you to pay for a license. Not to mention, $120 for access to the license? Over what period of time? That's half way to buying the full license. It's $15/mo to buy it from WHMCS directly to put it in perspective.

You are right about being suspended. Your files should still be there (unless your host removed them manually - suspensions don't delete files). When you get unsuspended (which is hopefully soon) I would recommend backing up your data and finding a new host that won't charge you an arm and a leg for WHMCS, plus one that has response times < 4 days.

Thanks for the reply Jeff.

Yes, I paid the invoices about 4 hours after I found all my accounts suspended. The WHMCS was 10 bucks a month, so $120 pa extra. It doesn’t seem like much in the big scheme of things, unless you can’t afford it.

How did it go from being free to having to pay? Takeover. One host purchased another host, I became an automatic customer of the new host. Assurance was given that terms and conditions would remain unchanged – which is were the disagreement arose.

So you’re saying I should just wait?

I suppose in this case you can and should get in touch with billing department of your company and ask them to help you. I suppose that will speedup the process. Cronjob might be running there and there is instant update of information. -

I'm saying unless you have a current backup it would be in your best interest to wait to be unsuspended to get your files back. If you can find a phone number I would try calling that.

As he's a member here, I'd be interested to know exactly who it is!

Phone number - A great simple idea! I'm sure I can find something.
    Sometimes I can't see the forest for all the trees!

The billing company? don't follow you on that one. The host is the one who billed me. I've got Invoice Payment Confirmation emails and I'm emailing (well, I was emailing....) with the head honcho - the owner.

Free license suddenly requiring you to pay for? Or it just free for first month, but you are not aware of?
    [Hostegic] [Features: Softaculous | RvSitebuilder | R1Soft backups | LiteSpeed | Cloudlinux | CloudFlare]
    [Location: UK] [Platforms: Linux - cPanel | Windows - WebsitePanel/Plesk]
    [Solutions: Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Virtual Private Servers - Xen/OpenVZ]
    [Guarantees: 24/7 Helpdesk Support | 99.9% Uptime Guarantee | 30 Days Money Back Guarantee]

I would also like to know who the host is that is behind all this. Usually when you get a whmcs license with a resellers account, it is free throughout the term of the hosting plan. So I find that a bit odd.

I would suggest that once this account gets unsuspended that you make backups of your account and all your reseller accounts immediately to be on the safe side.
    Kevin Kopp - MonsterMegs Business Class Hosting Services
    Pure SSD Powered Shared, Reseller, and Enterprise Hosting Solutions
    US & NL Locations :: [US] PhoenixNAP | [NL] EvoSwitch Datacenters

It was included with my reseller hosting from my previous host. After the take-over, my new host (my current host) honored the same terms and conditions and included the WHMCS license. That is, up until my annual renewal. I renewed for a further 12 months (price didn't change). 4 weeks later I receive an invoice to pay for WHMCS license. That's how I found out.
    Anyway, all this is in the past. What I'm really after is suggestions of what I can do or say to persuade my host to unsuspend my accounts.

Well if you have tried all the contact methods available on the site I would recommend to try and pm the member through the forums here. If that does not work either, use the power of WHT, out the name of the company.

Once the company name is mentioned it many times results in a quick resolution since the company will not want any bad press.
    Kevin Kopp - MonsterMegs Business Class Hosting Services
    Pure SSD Powered Shared, Reseller, and Enterprise Hosting Solutions
    US & NL Locations :: [US] PhoenixNAP | [NL] EvoSwitch Datacenters

Basically this host scammed you. You signed up for a service, then they added $120 to the cost of the service after the fact and demanded payment or they would shut you off. Now I understand there was a buyout, but they could have said "we can't offer you free WHMCS any more" and allowed you a chance to get your backups and move to another host. But they suspended you and demanded money that you never agreed to pay.
    You need to post the name, both to put pressure on them to make this right and warn others who might use this dishonest company. That's the best way to get your accounts unsuspended.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

WHMCS is $15 a month... Perhaps it might be worth asking a friend to borrow some money just to cover it and then lend back some website hosting for him?

I would opt for keep going, get off the WHMCS perk and do it yourself. Sounds a little shifty.
    Garbott Ltd - Professional web development & consultancy services
    Oxford.Hosting - Prestigious shared, cloud, dedicated and gaming hosting solutions.

I don't want the WHMCS at $10 a month, it doubles the price of my reseller hosting.

I've got a phone number, but will wait until business hours to phone.

PM'ing is a good idea.

I'm not so sure 'name and shame' will get my accounts unsuspended though. Once I've posted who the host is, it's public domain, and I won't be able to take it back. What if I point my host to this thread? and then see what happens?

Quote Originally Posted by LexMark View Post
    I don't want the WHMCS at $10 a month, it doubles the price of my reseller hosting.

PM'ing is a good idea.

I'm not so sure 'name and shame' will get my accounts unsuspended though. Once I've posted who the host is, it's public domain, and I won't be able to take it back. What if I point my host to this thread? and then see what happens?
    If he's a regular member here then I would have thought he'd see it.

I wouldn't get into an unpleasant scenario about it.....just get a definitive answer as to why this situation has occurred.

If they won't give you one....or refuse to answer....then you've every right to go public.

Quote Originally Posted by LexMark View Post

PM'ing is a good idea.

Yeah, you don't want it, and you never agreed to pay it. That's nothing more than extortion - "pay us an extra $120 or you lose all of your files." Like I said, if the new company doesn't want to keep providing a free WHMCS that's fine. Some may say they are obligated to, and in a way they are, but if they're not willing to then okay but the least they could do is give you a chance to move.

Maybe name and shame won't get you unsuspended, you should probably point your host to this thread as it is now.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

Are you willing to PM me on your hosting provider? I believe it is better than naming them in public.

How long has it been since you paid for the invoice? Most hosting provider's Billing department is not 24x7 and may take up to 24 hours for their response.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

Keep an open mind there might be a simple explanation for all this. I would try and message through WHT. He might have thought that he has unsuspended your accounts and not actually unsuspended them. I have had an instance where i unsuspended an account and for what ever reason it never actually happened until i corrected it next day. I think that was something to do with my internet connection at the time. If all else fails put his name up on here that should get a response but you don't want to wind this guy up or you might never get your files back!