Looking for a web host.

I'm looking for a service that I can run phpbb, with chat mod, attachments files, and I guess this is it. I'm currently with 4th Generation Deluxe plan from godaddy.com, but some how sometimes load times it's just to much. It's taking me on average 5-10 seconds to load a forum page and sometimes even more. I have comcast for IPS and my speeds are somewhat decent. Also I notice that other forum load a lot faster than mine, another thing too it seen that in the morning I get faster page loads.

I did not research before I get my hosting, and that could be the cause, so I don't know how good are godaddy service for web hosting, can anyone tell me, and if I'm better off with another host? My current budge is 10-15 month, I plan in run a website for a world of warcraft guild.

Thanks.

Coming from phpbb, I recently post this there to look for help and they refer me to you guys.

Original msg:

I don't know if it's me, my server or phpbb. Sometimes it's taking too long to load a page. From 5 to 10 sec after a click. I'm shooting for the server, as it seen early in the morning is works better. I'm using godaddy host service, it's cheap and it maybe it's the reason. But I would like to hear from you guys if that is really the cause, if it's is there another host that will perform better, for a budge of 10-15/month? Or it's the board and my mods? So far I have 2 mods, mChat and Top Five. Or it's me and 5-10 sec it's not bad? Which I think it's, because for one page it's ok, but when going back and forth it takes a lot of time.

Please give me a advice... Thanks.

You should try doing a traceroute to see if you're experiencing any network issues between you and GoDaddy.

Have you tried any of those guild hosted websites like guildlaunch? They're pretty nice, and caters very well to WoW.
    Tin Pham
    Solutions Engineer
    WP Engine - WordPress Hosting, Perfected.

GoDaddy is generally very bad for hosting. Chances are their server is the issue. I'd look for another host.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

Quote Originally Posted by Atjeu-Damir View Post
    How busy is your forum?

Good luck!
    Right now, not busy at all, just me and another friend, I'm still changing colors and applying some stuffs to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    You should try doing a traceroute to see if you're experiencing any network issues between you and GoDaddy.

Have you tried any of those guild hosted websites like guildlaunch? They're pretty nice, and caters very well to WoW.
    How can I do that, I'm really new to all this. Thanks.

I did not, I want to get the hang of it, and from now on learn some things about web pages. So I think I have more freedom to future leaning with a host like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
    GoDaddy is generally very bad for hosting. Chances are their server is the issue. I'd look for another host.
    That's what I'm thinking also, now could you or someone recommend me one? I'm willing to change, because my thoughts is this, if it's slow right now with just me, when people start using it then it really will be an issue. And this move away people too, if it takes to long to access a page people will just get tired of it and leave.

probably chat mod or shoutbox mod are going to be an impediment on many hosts, do you really need those?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by MadeInBrazil View Post
    That's what I'm thinking also, now could you or someone recommend me one? I'm willing to change, because my thoughts is this, if it's slow right now with just me, when people start using it then it really will be an issue. And this move away people too, if it takes to long to access a page people will just get tired of it and leave.
    There are quite a few good smaller hosting companies on here, although I don't know them all, maybe someone who's been on WHT a little longer than me can give some suggestions.

The only 2 shared hosts I've ever been with that haven't seriously pissed me off in one way or another are HostGator and Arvixe.
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    probably chat mod or shoutbox mod are going to be an impediment on many hosts, do you really need those?
    Yes, this feature was on of the main feature used by our last guild. So too keep it, it's a huge +.

There are quite a few good smaller hosting companies on here, although I don't know them all, maybe someone who's been on WHT a little longer than me can give some suggestions.

The only 2 shared hosts I've ever been with that haven't seriously pissed me off in one way or another are HostGator and Arvixe.
    I think this one (hostgator) has to do, with the post above, do they allow shoutbox? I need check arvixe but I'll take a look right now. Thanks.

How bad is a shoutbox? I mean, does it really load server that much? Another thing is how can I check the speed of a server host, this could be useful to try to look for one.

Please keep the comments coming.

MadeInBrazil;

You are just guessing, there is no way to reasonably expect any good advice on hosting your application, you provide no tested specs to base any recommendation on.

Very simply, get the code the way you want it, pull the code and send it to a good testing lab for load and stress testing on several hardware configs. Then you would "know" what you can expect or if it is "back to the drawing board."

I think this one (hostgator) has to do, with the post above, do they allow shoutbox? I need check arvixe but I'll take a look right now. Thanks.
    Not sure if they allow ShoutBox, you'll have to ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by srfreeman View Post
    MadeInBrazil;

You are just guessing, there is no way to reasonably expect any good advice on hosting your application, you provide no tested specs to base any recommendation on.

Very simply, get the code the way you want it, pull the code and send it to a good testing lab for load and stress testing on several hardware configs. Then you would "know" what you can expect or if it is "back to the drawing board."
    Sorry you totally lost me there.... what you mean by send it to a test lab, is there a way to do that, does that cost? How much?

And you probably right I'm just guessing it's my host that is slow, but that's I'm trying to find another one, so I can test it out, the problem is I don't know which one is recommended or will allow the features that I need (phpbb, shoutbox). So I don't know also how I can provide a tested spec, can you please elaborate?

Thanks.

Sorry you totally lost me there.... what you mean by send it to a test lab, is there a way to do that, does that cost? How much?

And you probably right I'm just guessing it's my host that is slow, but that's I'm trying to find another one, so I can test it out, the problem is I don't know which one is recommended or will allow the features that I need (phpbb, shoutbox). So I don't know also how I can provide a tested spec, can you please elaborate?

Thanks.
    I think that would be going a little overboard. You're not running a fancy custom application, just a forum with some add-ons basically. I really don't see any need for all that.

You should probably be fine on shared hosting based on your current experiences with GoDaddy. If it does become a problem on shared, then you go and do load testing to determine your next move.

Humm... so there is a load test, did not even know about that. oO

Thanks, I chatted with a representative from hostgator I'm trying to post it here but for some reason keeps telling me that I need 5 post to post BBcodes, I guess it must have some kind of code in my chat with the representative. I'll post it later.

Looks like that was your 5th post. I really wouldn't worry about any type of load testing until your site grows to the point that it's too big for shared hosting. It really doesn't sound like it is at this point.

Sorry to double post I just want post this that I wasnt allows to before, if things keep this way I might change and see if gets better.

I'm still open for suggestion on good shared host service.

anyway here is the conversation:
    So I guess they to allow it right?

Welcome to GatorChat!

You are being connected to a representative in our Sales department right now.

For immediate answers to your questions, check out our knowledge base and video tutorials at http://support.hostgator.com.

Your Chat ID is 3576854.

Your question is, "My primary domain is www.brasilguild.com/forum. Does hostgator allows shoutbox?"

(12:50:13 PM) System: There are currently 8 people in front of you and 165 chat technicians assisting customers.
    (12:50:42 PM) System: There are currently 1 people in front of you and 165 chat technicians assisting customers.
    (12:50:46 PM) Patrick Ma: Welcome to HostGator Live Chat.
    (12:51:13 PM) Patrick Ma: I'm not familiar with shoutbox. As long as it meet server requirements, it should be fine.
    (12:51:30 PM) Erick: where can I find the servers requirement?
    (12:51:47 PM) Patrick Ma: You would need to get that info from shoutbox
    (12:51:51 PM) Erick: I'm looking for a host that I can host phpbb forum boards
    (12:52:21 PM) Erick: and shoutbox it's a feature of the board where people can send instant message every 5 secs...
    (12:53:00 PM) Patrick Ma: Ok, we do phpbb
    (12:53:03 PM) Patrick Ma: That is allowed
    (12:53:11 PM) Patrick Ma: So if it's just a plugin, then it should be fine
    (12:53:58 PM) Erick: Yes, it's just a mod. I'm asking because I read that you guys doesnt support no irc, mirc things like that
    (12:54:30 PM) Erick: and as it's being a chat feature I was thinking that might not be supported also.
    (12:54:49 PM) Patrick Ma: Well, if its a function of phpbb then it should be fine
    (12:54:54 PM) Erick: where can I find your rules and things like that.
    (12:55:03 PM) Patrick Ma: We just don't support dedicated clients like mirc, irc, etc.
    (12:55:13 PM) Patrick Ma: You can see the compatible techs here:

http://support.hostgator.com/article...e-technologies
    (12:55:22 PM) Patrick Ma: And the Terms of Service here:

http://www.hostgator.com/tos/tos.php
    (12:55:24 PM) Erick: Ok, cool. thanks so much.
    (12:56:03 PM) Erick: I really appreciated your help. Thanks, have a nice day.

Looks like that was your 5th post. I really wouldn't worry about any type of load testing until your site grows to the point that it's too big for shared hosting. It really doesn't sound like it is at this point.
    Yeah, I'll keep that testing for the future, as I really think this is too much also for a such small forum. It's that I just didnt know any of this and srfreeman mentioning it just confused me a bit.

Btw sam, thanks a lot for all the help so far.
    Last edited by MadeInBrazil; 04-07-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Wait, Shoutbox, like the little chat box on the top of the forum?

Maybe a VPS

Another affordable option to shared hosting is maybe a virtual private server. They are expandable and can grow as your need does.

Thanks.
    Yes, there is a way to do that. Entering something like "web application testing" or "web application load test" or "web application stress test" into any search engine will get you started.

Of course it will cost, how much is dependent on how extensive the testing is.

The "tested specs" will come from the reports provided by the lab.

Without this type of testing you will not know what your code requires from the hardware (CPU, Memory, disk) or other software (database and such) under given user loads. Therefore you will not know what is required to host your application.

Without knowing what it takes to host your application and simply throwing it up on various hosting servers, you just wake up every morning wondering if it is dead yet or if your account has been suspended or why it is so slow.

Application death or suspension or slow down seems to trigger many unhappy and uncalled for posts about host problems. Save you and your hosts the grief, know what your application requires.

This is a basic phpbb forum with a couple mods on a $5 shared hosting platform. If it doesn't work on shared hosting company #1, it probably won't work on #2 or #3 either, in which case you move to a vps. Try an actual quality shared host and see how it goes, if you need to upgrade then upgrade.

Btw - The term "shoutbox" kind of slipped my mind. This is fine. These things use resources yeah if you have 500 people on them at once, besides that you really should be fine. We've had tons of these on shared hosting, no problems at all.

This is a basic phpbb forum with a couple mods on a $5 shared hosting platform. If it doesn't work on shared hosting company #1, it probably won't work on #2 or #3 either, in which case you move to a vps. Try an actual quality shared host and see how it goes, if you need to upgrade then upgrade.

Btw - The term "shoutbox" kind of slipped my mind. This is fine. These things use resources yeah if you have 500 people on them at once, besides that you really should be fine. We've had tons of these on shared hosting, no problems at all.
    I understand that many consider hosting information on the Internet is just a guessing game. Truly, this is not the case and it is a disservice to continue to foster the myth.

Blindly jumping from host to host (even cheap ones), trying several VPS configurations, etc... can add up to hundreds of dollars in just a few months. Up front testing of any application is fiscally responsible. Not to mention the time savings.

I understand that many consider hosting information on the Internet is just a guessing game. Truly, this is not the case and it is a disservice to continue to foster the myth.

Blindly jumping from host to host (even cheap ones), trying several VPS configurations, etc... can add up to hundreds of dollars in just a few months. Up front testing of any application is fiscally responsible. Not to mention the time savings.
    I'm not suggesting that, but the OP is on GoDaddy which is known to be absolutely horrible. The site is actually working over there, it's just really slow. If the site itself was the cause of the slowness, it probably would have been suspended by now. Chances are GoDaddy's server is just severely overloaded.

With a budget of $15 a month there's a limit to how much you can invest in load testing etc. This isn't some big custom developed application, it's a stock PhpBB forum that is "not busy at all" according to the OP. If you ask me this is exactly what shared hosting was intended for.

Sam;

I really wish that reviews of any company required substantiation, but that is just me.

You bring up budget but earlier you recommended blindly trying several options, this would eat any budget.

Reading elsewhere on this board I see posts about PhpBB having problems with very few users and posts about PhpBB running fine with several thousand users (though none of them mention active or concurrent numbers), many of these posts blast the host with no substantiated information. I would say that very few PhpBB installations are "stock".

If it is the intent of the OP to keep the current usage level, advice on using a different technology, perhaps the telephone, would be in order. I cannot believe this to be the case. Growth in the user base will provide many surprises from a forum type application.

Sam;

I really wish that reviews of any company required substantiation, but that is just me.

You bring up budget but earlier you recommended blindly trying several options, this would eat any budget.

Reading elsewhere on this board I see posts about PhpBB having problems with very few users and posts about PhpBB running fine with several thousand users (though none of them mention active or concurrent numbers), many of these posts blast the host with no substantiated information. I would say that very few PhpBB installations are "stock".

If it is the intent of the OP to keep the current usage level, advice on using a different technology, perhaps the telephone, would be in order. I cannot believe this to be the case. Growth in the user base will provide many surprises from a forum type application.
    I've used GoDaddy before myself, I know they're bad. They're probably one of the few that consistently gets bad reviews. I don't think I've ever seen a good GoDaddy review.

All I'm saying is that the OP is still setting up their forum and is on a budget of $15 a month. Can't do much more than basic shared for that. This sounds pretty stock to me, a base install of phpbb with mChat and Top Five mods. Maybe I can't say with 100% certainty, nobody ever can, but in my professional opinion (based on my experience hosting PhpBB forums of all sizes) shared hosting is fine.

Sam;

Let's try some realistic questions.

I see that your TOS-Resource usage section is rather open. At what user level would you suspend or terminate the OP's account?

Sam;

Let's try some realistic questions.

I see that your TOS-Resource usage section is rather open. At what user level would you suspend or terminate the OP's account?
    Couldn't say for sure, we don't suspend unless the user is causing a major issue server-wide and disrupting service for others. I can say that based on what the user is doing now, they would be fine. Maybe this isn't a 100% guaranteed estimate of usage, but I'm pretty confident in my ability to estimate this kind of stuff.

I'm offering my opinion here, I don't know what I'm supposed to be saying. On a budget of $15 a month you can not get a very high quality VPS. And based on my experience, a PhpBB forum with only 2 mods and very little users would be better off on shared hosting. This is an educated guess, nothing more.

I don't know if it's me, my server or phpbb. Sometimes it's taking too long to load a page. From 5 to 10 sec after a click. I'm shooting for the server, as it seen early in the morning is works better. I'm using godaddy host service, it's cheap and it maybe it's the reason. But I would like to hear from you guys if that is really the cause, if it's is there another host that will perform better, for a budge of 10-15/month? Or it's the board and my mods? So far I have 2 mods, mChat and Top Five. Or it's me and 5-10 sec it's not bad? Which I think it's, because for one page it's ok, but when going back and forth it takes a lot of time.
    GoDaddy often has complaints here that their servers are "over-crowded" and therefore slow. I haven't used them, so I can't comment from my own experience. But I can tell you about hosting phpBB and similar forum software on shared servers.

First, ignore the comments about developing your software and load testing it; for heaven's sake, we're talking about one of the most popular open source software packages ever made, with hundreds of thousands of installations on shared servers world-wide, in hundreds of languages. Nearly EVERYBODY can host this thing.

Nearly every host you contact will ask only one question: how many "concurrent users" does your forum normally have? Not how many total members, but how many are on it at once. Until you reach 30, 40 or 50 concurrent users shared hosting is entirely appropriate. That's because the main stress on the server is from database connections, and that's dependent on the number of users on the forum at one time.

I have a forum with 1,500 members and it averages less than 30 on line at any one time (with peaks to about 100 every now and then). You have a LONG way to go before you have to worry about it.

I can recommend only one host appropriate for you from personal experience, MDDHosting.com. I have a VPS there because I host 30 web sites, many of them forum sites like yours. Before I joined MDDHosting, I was at another host 7 years with a reseller account who only does reseller accounts, so he wouldn't be appropriate for you. MDDHosting's service and support is top notch, and people in their forums are very happy with their shared hosting. So add them to your "short list" of hosts to consider.

Hostgator will probably also be OK (just based on their reputation here ... I don't have any personal experience with them). So would nearly any hosting company that isn't over-crowding their server. Hostgator seems to be an exception to the general rule stated here that most hosts offering "unlimited" disk space and bandwidth are overcrowded. The reality is that you will get to 65,000 posts in your forum before you come close to needing more than 900MB of disk space or 20GB of bandwidth, so "unlimited" isn't really needed.

So how do you make the rest of your "short list" of hosts to consider? You can ask in here about their reputation, or search the offers forum and then search this forum for reviews about them.

Good luck with your search! I think you'll be much happier with a smaller, more responsive company that doesn't overcrowd its servers.

Well I hope this has been of interest to the OP.

Sam;

It was a more direct question than that. I am surprised that questions like that are not asked by users all the time.

In your professional opinion, what is the average number of users that a Phbb administrator could expect to support on shared hosting or with a $15 budget?

Based on my experience, a popular shoutbox is a huge source of resources usage and can easily get your account suspended, I remember a time on where on this forum were common to read people with their account suspended at HG for the shoutboxes, also, they have those on the list of forbidden software to run on their server, not sure if it was removed now though.
    You may want to open a help desk ticket on their sales department, so you can have an answer that is recorded on their system.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Well I hope this has been of interest to the OP.

Sam;

It was a more direct question than that. I am surprised that questions like that are not asked by users all the time.

In your professional opinion, what is the average number of users that a Phbb administrator could expect to support on shared hosting or with a $15 budget?
    Does depend on many factors, but a very rough estimate would be 100 concurrent users or so. Once you have a steady 100 concurrent users it will probably start to cause problems on a $5 unlimited shared hosting plan.