Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Unhappy InterServer Review.

    Within the past two weeks, I ordered a dedicated box from InterServer.net. Just a plan old basic Atom box with 2GB ram and 250GB HDD. The reason for this is because I needed something to host some gaming servers, teamspeak and domains. I'm planning on upgrading the box down the road.

    After reading many reviews on the host and it's data-center, I was impressed. I haven't had any problems with downtime and server connection problems, other then a small glitch with WHM which was fixed after I uploaded a required file into the FTP. But all good things come to an end.... I'm having DNS problems and nobody seems to want to help me.

    I created two accounts in WHM. The first one is attached to http://fire-hosting.net - works fine on the name servers. On the second account, I added 3 addon domains and used the same name servers as fire-hosting.net..... but they simply won't load. It's been 72 hours and OpenDNS displays (NORECORDS). The name servers are DNS.trouble-free.net and DNS2.trouble-free.net. I've also tried NS1.fire-hosting.net and NS2.fire-hosting.net which I setup using IPs from the welcome email.

    I've opened 2 tickets related to the issue. One was closed after they replied with two name servers to use (the two trouble-free.net). The name servers SIMPLY DONT WORK on these addon domains. So now I've rang their tech support number like 4 times, each of the 4 times it sounds like they were woken out of bed. I live in the Australian Timezone but that's no excuse as they've been in business for 11 years - I'd expect them to have a proper call-center.

    And one line replies don't help me either in support tickets I realize the box isn't managed, but would it kill you to login to WHM and check for your customers to see if they set the custom name servers up correctly, or give them name servers that actually work???? At this rate, I'll just change hosts to someone who actually provides support.

    Any advice? wat do?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tinterweb
    Posts
    555
    Why are you using InterServer's support domain as your DNS on a dedi server??
    Thats your problem, use your own domain, they wont want you piggybacking on their domain - plus you can't point their domain to your server which is what you need to do!
    C program run. C program crash. C programmer quit.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by LP560 View Post
    Why are you using InterServer's support domain as your DNS on a dedi server??
    Thats your problem, use your own domain, they wont want you piggybacking on their domain - plus you can't point their domain to your server which is what you need to do!
    The IPs they gave me to setup custom name servers aren't working... I received 4 in the emails, none of them work!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    WebHostingTalk
    Posts
    16,960
    Quote Originally Posted by EV-Studios View Post
    And one line replies don't help me either in support tickets I realize the box isn't managed, but would it kill you to login to WHM and check for your customers to see if they set the custom name servers up correctly, or give them name servers that actually work???? At this rate, I'll just change hosts to someone who actually provides support.

    Any advice? wat do?

    Unmanaged means they will just make sure the hardware is set. Other than that, you are on your own.
    Specially 4 You
    .
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tinterweb
    Posts
    555
    Have you added them to whm?
    C program run. C program crash. C programmer quit.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by EV-Studios View Post
    The IPs they gave me to setup custom name servers aren't working... I received 4 in the emails, none of them work!
    I believe you are confusing dns resolvers for your server with nameservers. As far as your domain names I have explained why they were not working, got the domains working, and explained how you can get new domains working in the future.
    John Quaglieri - InterServer, Inc

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyQuags View Post
    I believe you are confusing dns resolvers for your server with nameservers. As far as your domain names I have explained why they were not working, got the domains working, and explained how you can get new domains working in the future.
    I don't exactly understand, I'm sorry but don't I need to point the custom name servers to IPs (InterServer.net ones) in-order for custom name servers to work? Aren't these DNS resolvers those IPs which I must enter in Namecheap Account Management or what? The welcome email didn't exactly explain it...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    6,456
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyQuags View Post
    I believe you are confusing dns resolvers for your server with nameservers. As far as your domain names I have explained why they were not working, got the domains working, and explained how you can get new domains working in the future.
    Leave it to John to fix it up
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

    Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by EV-Studios View Post
    I don't exactly understand, I'm sorry but don't I need to point the custom name servers to IPs (InterServer.net ones) in-order for custom name servers to work? Aren't these DNS resolvers those IPs which I must enter in Namecheap Account Management or what? The welcome email didn't exactly explain it...
    Resolvers are for your machine to know what other stuff is, like "google.com -> x:x::y".

    You don't enter them as your nameservers for your domain. I also don't see how this review is really that fair to interserver considering you were ordering an unmanaged system while having not set up a box before...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tech Belt
    Posts
    7,802
    Quote Originally Posted by EV-Studios View Post
    I don't exactly understand, I'm sorry but don't I need to point the custom name servers to IPs (InterServer.net ones) in-order for custom name servers to work? Aren't these DNS resolvers those IPs which I must enter in Namecheap Account Management or what? The welcome email didn't exactly explain it...
    Resolvers are for looking up things.

    What you needed was your own set of nameservers (ns1 and ns2.yourdomain.com) - assign those IPs in WHM and then go to Namecheap and hover over domains - click on manage domains - click on your domain - Under Advanced should be Nameserver Registration - Then put in the two IPs that you assigned to your nameservers.

    Then, change your nameservers for that domain to the ones you created.

    Really though, you should get management for your box if you need it.
    #---.#---###### | Host Mist LLC - Helping People Say Hello World™
    #---.#---#--#--# || Shared, Reseller, Master Reseller, VPS, Dedicated
    ####---#--#--# }| Featuring multiple locations across the US & Germany.
    #---#---#--#--# #| Connecting the world through web hosting.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    6,456
    It's an unfair negative review for InterServer; but, if the OP had no idea the difference, which indeed they did not, it did seem like there was an issue with interserver. So to be fair, the OP is just a newbie, so let's be nice.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

    Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

  12. #12
    Alright, thanks MattS and John. I got it to work

    And yeah, I hired a server administrator because I'm a newbie to dedicated boxes and crap at it.

    But no idea why they couldn't explain what MattS did inside my multiple support tickets before but John did in the end.

    Thanks guys

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    6,456
    Quote Originally Posted by EV-Studios View Post
    Alright, thanks MattS and John. I got it to work

    And yeah, I hired a server administrator because I'm a newbie to dedicated boxes and crap at it.

    But no idea why they couldn't explain what MattS did inside my multiple support tickets before but John did in the end.

    Thanks guys
    Unmanaged servers mean you get *no* help whatsoever. You get the server which you can ssh into - if you can ssh in, that's where the support ends.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

    Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    Unmanaged servers mean you get *no* help whatsoever. You get the server which you can ssh into - if you can ssh in, that's where the support ends.
    Unmanaged servers still get "basic support".

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,410
    Quote Originally Posted by EV-Studios View Post
    Unmanaged servers still get "basic support".
    Not exactly, depends on the company. For instance, ServerBeach charges $15/ticket after you use all of your free tickets up. This is everytime you want them to take a look at your server or do a simple task.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    WebHostingTalk
    Posts
    16,960
    Quote Originally Posted by EV-Studios View Post
    Unmanaged servers still get "basic support".
    It is just probably your own definition.

    Unmanaged means they will only provide the hardware and network. Some providers go beyond this but don't expect too much...
    Specially 4 You
    .
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    6,456
    Quote Originally Posted by EV-Studios View Post
    Unmanaged servers still get "basic support".
    99.99999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time, on a server as cheap as that atom, not really. If they spend 30 minutes a month helping you, that will cost them at least half your monthly payment. If they spend 1-3 hours helping you set it up one time, it'll cost them a few months of your payments.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

    Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

Similar Threads

  1. Interserver quick review
    By dman in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-29-2013, 02:30 PM
  2. Interserver.net 2 month review
    By Tom, in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2011, 07:54 PM
  3. InterServer.net NJ/NY Colocation Review
    By Rich in forum Colocation and Data Centers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-09-2008, 09:21 AM
  4. 4 month interserver.net review
    By WAbizTony in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 06:59 PM
  5. interserver.net 3 month review
    By WAbizTony in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 01:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •