hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Software and Control Panels : Can I haveCpanel forward an email address...

Forum Jump

Can I haveCpanel forward an email address...

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Software and Control Panels Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Web Hosting Guru Wannabe

Can I haveCpanel forward an email address...

WITHOUT leaving a copy on my VPS? Sheesh, that is a pain when the box fills up!

Thanks, Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2011, 11:32 PM
--. --. .-- ....

Are you wanting to forward an actual e-mail account or simply an alias; do you want the option of retaining the mail on the server (i.e. your VPS) and do you send e-mail from that address through your server? If you want to keep the actual e-mail account on your VPS, forward the mail to an account on another server, and be able to send mail through that account on your VPS, create a user level filter for the account on your VPS and have its action as 'Redirect to email'. Depending how you actually use the e-mail address you want to forward from though, you may be able to simply set a forwarder and not need an actual account on the VPS server for it.

Authorized Reseller Program

Old 04-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Web Hosting Guru Wannabe

Yes, "you may be able to simply set a forwarder and not need an actual account on the VPS server for it." This is what I want to do. I do not want an actual email account on my VPS from which to send.

But maybe because the main domain of the VPS is the domain of the email address in question, I HAVE to have an account?

I am going to try setting up a forwarder and cancel that account and see what happens. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Web Hosting Guru Wannabe

I checked, and an email account is necessary to use a forwarder and "Note that the forwarded mail will still be delivered to the original address as well.". Oh well, guess I will just have to remember to clear out the account once in a while.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Community Leader

The default account will always deliver locally as well on Cpanel, unless set to use an external mail server. Best bet is to set up a forward for another address/alias and point things to that, then set the default address to :fail: (which will drop all incoming email to that and any undefined aliases). If you're not using SMTP email on this and want to use something like Gmail instead, you can point the MX to there. No local delivery at all.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:51 AM
--. --. .-- ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Dave View Post
I checked, and an email account is necessary to use a forwarder and "Note that the forwarded mail will still be delivered to the original address as well.". Oh well, guess I will just have to remember to clear out the account once in a while.
You don't need to have an actual e-mail account setup on your server for xyz@here.com to create a forwarder for xyz@here.com to abc@there.net We have quite a few addresses which are forwarders/aliases without an actual e-mail account existing on the server. We primarily use these to pipe e-mail into our ticketing system. If you do have the same account (i.e. xyz@here.com) existing on the server though, then e-mail will be delivered both to the account (xyz@here.com) and to the forwarded address (abc@there.net).

If you need the account (i.e. xyz@here.com) to exist on your VPS because you want to send e-mail via your VPS for that account, but have its incoming e-mail forwarded elsewhere (i.e. abc@there.net), you can do so using an account level filter (i.e. Redirect to email) rather than a forwarder.

Last edited by GGWH-James; 04-07-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:07 AM
--. --. .-- ....

My mistake, that should have read as a 'user level filter', not an 'account level filter'. But, depending upon exactly what you're wanting to do with the e-mail for the domain overall, there may also be other options still. Those are a couple of them though.