Duplicate Content - Planning and Preparing

Hey everyone,

I have a small local client who is running a pet waste management company. He has seen fantastic success with his website and business and is now looking to franchise out across Ontario / Canada.

His plan is to offer each franchise a modified version of his website (local keywords, seo, etc) but keep the main content, etc all the same.

The main business website would be www.petwaste.com for example and a franchisee would have www.petwaste.com/cityname/

How would this client avoid any duplicate content issues in Google? Is it just a matter of not listing his franchisee website, maybe indexing the main page only, !? I'm lost on what's the best way to advise him.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense. It's a pretty unique situation I think.

If he don't allow to index franchisee's website, how they get organic traffic from search engines. I think he should write content according to each franchisee's location and other preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by johnston981 View Post
    If he don't allow to index franchisee's website, how they get organic traffic from search engines. I think he should write content according to each franchisee's location and other preferences.
    The plan was to have the franchisee websites have custom titles, headers, etc but keep the main content the same only changing location keywords. That's why we have some concern for duplicate content since the majority would be the same.

As for the idea of not indexing the franchisee website, he didn't like that idea at all. His business relies heavily on Google. It was my idea to maybe indexing the franchisee homepage only since the other content like pet waste directory, education, etc would be the same.

I'm pretty lost on how to handle this. Once I get my kids settled down I'm going to do some further reading about it.

I think, it is very critical situation. There is no index option may work if you be able to transfer traffic from main site to its franchisee websites. Other option is mention original content takes form main sites as most of the blogger do in blogs posting. However how much it is suitable don't know.

wow its very nice situation. I have one and wanna share with you.
    Leave the main content unchanged and don't add this content on your franchise website only add a TAB like "about us" and link this tab to your main content. Once visitors of your franchise will clik on that TAB then they will automatically redirected to desired location. By this way you can short out your issues without making duplicate contents.

I didn't get it, your client wants to use his successful website to promote those franchisee websites? And he wants his franchisee can get traffic from Google via his website's content? Why doesn't he just add a page called "Find Your Local Service" and list those franchisee's websites or contact information? Why you guys even bother on this?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneWilson View Post
    I didn't get it, your client wants to use his successful website to promote those franchisee websites? And he wants his franchisee can get traffic from Google via his website's content? Why doesn't he just add a page called "Find Your Local Service" and list those franchisee's websites or contact information? Why you guys even bother on this?
    I tend to agree with StoneWilson, Mekhu.

Done right, a specific page for each franchise with just unique info for that franchise (address, phone number, map, etc) would still rank highly in search engines when customers search for it. You shouldn't need to create a seperate Web site for each. Just create a seperate page for each, and still let potential customers navigate around the main site that shows all the main info about the service.
    - Jamie Harrop

Quote Originally Posted by StoneWilson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Harrop View Post
    I tend to agree with StoneWilson, Mekhu.

Done right, a specific page for each franchise with just unique info for that franchise (address, phone number, map, etc) would still rank highly in search engines when customers search for it. You shouldn't need to create a seperate Web site for each. Just create a seperate page for each, and still let potential customers navigate around the main site that shows all the main info about the service.
    Thank you so much for the replies! That's actually something I (and the client) didn't give much thought to. Let me approach him about and see what he thinks.

Thanks guys.

addon domain if do have duplicate content may catch and get google penalty. Park it to reduce the duplicate content. It will affect your SEO. You may target the same keyword but if the franchise in other country the best is you target a new keyword because every country search behavior are different and keyword may include country name as well. The best is work Independence for both or park it up to one website.

Or just a few information on the site and when people would like to know something about the entire content just give a link to the original site.

Quote Originally Posted by humawebdesign View Post
    wow its very nice situation. I have one and wanna share with you.
    Leave the main content unchanged and don't add this content on your franchise website only add a TAB like "about us" and link this tab to your main content. Once visitors of your franchise will clik on that TAB then they will automatically redirected to desired location. By this way you can short out your issues without making duplicate contents.
    I think this is the best solution for your concern. Just link everything to the main site just like what others are doing. You can have a category drop-down menu where they will choose the country/location they prefer to visit. Then once they click on that one, they will be redirected to a subdomain.

Well said.
    duplicate contents will be punished by google there is no doubt in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrick View Post
    addon domain if do have duplicate content may catch and get google penalty. Park it to reduce the duplicate content. It will affect your SEO. You may target the same keyword but if the franchise in other country the best is you target a new keyword because every country search behavior are different and keyword may include country name as well. The best is work Independence for both or park it up to one website.

we should avoid duplicate it will affect a lot to our site to lose serp etc

Google's panda algo is more harsh on duplicate content.