Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by eNkrypt View Post
    I don't necessarily need that much memory, but like I said I have seen some memory issues. I am not very familiar with XEN and I have heard it is a bit harder to use than OpenVZ.

$15 a year? That's crazy!
    I don't think Xen is harder to use. It's still running the same OS. The difference is in how it's virtualized and how resources are allocated, but that doesn't make it more difficult to use.

For $15/year, it's a good little test box and OpenVPN server, and could be used for DNS or backup storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Layershift Damien View Post
    Surely Xen uses more because everything is loaded inside the VM rather than the container approach taken by OpenVZ?

However, you'll find that you get best memory efficiency from Virtuozzo (assuming SLM mode) because that has de-dupe implementations so the common libraries / binaries etc. that almost every VPS customer loads basically use less memory inside your VPS.
    Xen memory management behaves more like a dedicated server. OpenVZ struggles if your application has to allocate a lot of virtual memory.

On Xen, my main setup typically hovers around 200MB RAM used. I tried temporarily running everything on an OpenVZ VPS recently, but I had to trim settings and cache way, way, way back to get it to even function at what gets reported by "free -m" as 200MB used on OpenVZ, and even then it kept shooting up and I'd experience memory issues.

Quote Originally Posted by HUGOBLUE View Post
    Their BuyVM brand is new while their previous/parent company FranTech appreantly had a whole different journey

Frantech.ca used to offer cheap VMWARE powered Windows VPS.

Now they have a quite decent amount of /24 and larger subnets (PONYNET*), which makes it possible to offer 1000s of small VPS instances, which are very popular and are mostly used for IRC/VPN.

They do also allow torrent traffic (heavy load on the I/O), could be the reason for their recent hardware upgrades.
    The $15/y's are crazy popular for that and I expect once I roll out our DNSONLY template we'll get an even bigger influx of people for those While lots of people have worked to make lots of sales up front with discounts/etc, we focused on what we had and securing good deals on our colocation and getting our ARIN contracts all tucked away. At this point we got ~15,000 ip's at our PONYNET ASN

The Frantech brand is a fun one and we do get a lot of demand for us to restock it but the staff & I have way more fun coding against OpenVZ & expanding on idea's with the BuyVM community that at this point we aren't going to be loading up much stock against Frantech.

Quote Originally Posted by HUGOBLUE View Post
    Okay yes yes, true, only future will tell whether the boat capsizes or the pony rears in victory

Edit: But they seem to know about tech, I read somewhere they provided advice to SolusVM developers on how integrate IPv6
    Not really. The amount of users that torrent is quite low. The problem is that we had the servers setup to handle how our vmware clients worked and how our initial BuyVM users operated. As the BuyVM brand has grown and our demographics have changed the original deployments simply didn't work as well as they should have.

We've had to replace a few bad hard drives but everything else is simple reconfiguring how they're setup. The performance gains have been fantastic and we're very pleased

Solus has talked to us in the past, once nicely and another time threatening to remove our lungs and use them as bag pipes in regards to IPV6 & our RDNS control panel.

As for our funding, we had our bills covered for the year by late February or so, so the rest is simply going into a nice rainy day fund to handle growth, replacement hardware, etc.

Thank you for the input and recommendations, the pony is pleased as always.

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Quote Originally Posted by Layershift Damien View Post
    Yes ok. I should quantify my statement: if they can really provide a reliable service over a sustained period at that pricing then much respect to them!

Unless I'm mistaken their service is still relatively new to market?
    We started the $15/y deals in July of last year and minus a power issue in a few racks, planned kernel upgrades and some panics (likely due to some custom patches we had added to our kernel). On average most nodes will get to around 60 days uptime before we roll another kernel out.

At this point we've rolled our newest kernel, dubbed pony4-2, and it has been running great. We've addressed and fixed many bugs that the OpenVZ developers haven't, namely:

- A race condition that happens when a VPS shuts down that can cause a locked kernel thread forcing the thread sitting at 100% cpu (a full core) and unable to be killed
    - ip6tables working on 32bit containers (still being rolled out)

We don't see a need to upgrade from this kernel in the foreseeable future unless some major upstream addons come from OpenVZ directly.

Thanks

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

I've been hosting with linode, it hasn't been long yet, but no issues from there side whatsoever, and a 512 Linode should more than fulfill your needs based on what you're describing.

Since you're a student, take a Linux course, and use your new skills. I always set up and configure servers in Virtual Box to make sure they work correctly, work out any problems, and learn new stuff, before putting them into production.

I hate school, but love to learn.

Take a look at directspace.net - I've seen a number of positive reviews about them lately and they seem to offer budget VPS plans
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

Quote Originally Posted by eNkrypt View Post
    What if I change my budget to $20 a month. Any better hosts?
    I would say that's a good starting point. For $10 / mo, the host only can possibly make money if you never come and ask for any help. At $20, for a same-spec vps, there's a bit more room to help customers who need random stuff so long as not everyone comes needing help at once.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

I'd draw your attention to VPS deals which happy-hosting provides.
    They have stable servers and I do hope they will suit all your needs all right.
    musicfanbox.net - is my web site.

Have a look on lowendbox ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12