cloud service for facebook app in UK

Hello,

I am looking for good hosting(cloud) solution for facebook app especially in uk, because application is for uk users. This app will need some web cluster, load balacing for bigger load, scaling and data storage approximately 70 TB. Maybe better use amazon cloud service? but for storage price I think it can be too expensive (s3+data transfer). What is your advice? about cloud providers? in uk?

Quote Originally Posted by yeast View Post
    Hello,

I am looking for good hosting(cloud) solution for facebook app especially in uk, because application is for uk users. This app will need some web cluster, load balacing for bigger load, scaling and data storage approximately 70 TB. Maybe better use amazon cloud service? but for storage price I think it can be too expensive (s3+data transfer). What is your advice? about cloud providers? in uk?
    Are you actually using 70TB of storage or is this just a number you would like?
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: sales@admingeekz.com

Actually 11TB is content from app. Other data will be generated from users, at max condition it can reach 70TB.

The key question is are you actually using this right now or is this projections?

The reason being for most clouds you pay for what you use so you need to be realistic. Now if you want to scale to this number then that's a different matter but you do need to be realistic.

Amazon does seem like the best option, in terms of being from the UK this doesn't really matter as you are better being closer to the facebook proxys and for your actual content (images/etc) just serve these from a CDN like cloudfront.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: sales@admingeekz.com

yes, this is projections. I also think that for scale amazon is best solution. But maybe you know what about elastichost provider - uk cloud provider?

I still confused about storage system, is it better to use s3storage service for data(this whole 11TB content is pdf, flash, doc files) and the users only put and get this content to their browser? or EBS is better solution for it? but with EBS I see problems with management of these all EBS drives, am I correct?

Quote Originally Posted by yeast View Post
    Hello,

Hi Yeast,

Your requirements seem to suite AppLogic perfectly.

We (DNS Europe) have customers who have build Facebook and other large scale social media applications on the platform, which is perfect for just this type of deployment.

We are also UK based Cloud Provider, so we meet that requirement.

The only thing that raises an eyebrow with me (and others, I see) is the 70TB upfront storage requirement.

Can you tell us a bit more about what this storage is for?

Since you are considering using Amazon S3, I doubt its Tier 1 or even Tier 2 storage (unless you plan on using a Storage gateway?)