Good and reliable vps hosting with enought hard disk space

Hi,

Before I start, I had to say, I already searched the site and read a lot of the threads already but I need help specific for the hard-disk issue.

I have a site which requires me to have a lot of hard-disk space, between the 25 - 150. (25 is minimum and 150 is preferable).
    And I need to find a reliable vps,
    So far I've been with:

Iweb.com, where it took me 20 minutes to upload a file of 60 mb using ftp (filezilla).
    Mediatemple.net, where my email was delayed, my site was slow (9 seconds to load a 522 kb site), down often and I found out that personnel browsed my server and changed files without permission. After filing a complaint, and admitting their personnel altered at least one file, they offered me out of my contract.

I looked and found out that godaddy is big, but some are really negative, so I was wondering. Reliable is more important than money, should I go with Godaddy?

I hope to have at least 385 mb ram and need at least 25 gig. I hope to spend around the 75 usd per month, do you have any recommendations?

About the controlpanel, I probably need to purchase a Directadmin license anyways, so I do not need any controlpanel.

I have 2 VPS with volumedrive.com and have had no problems with their services. They also offer a great deal of hard disk space.

Honestly, volumedrive.com looks too cheap to be of high quality...

I would advise against GoDaddy personally based on previous experience with them. They have great support but their services are very bogged down.

Many providers can offer custom packages but that much disk space really isn't that out of the ordinary. You should be able to find a very fitting package, even managed at that price. Take a quick hop over to the VPS hosting advertising forums and see if you can find anything that your looking for.

There are many reputable providers on WHT, anyone who gives just one company name simply haven't been exposed to enough
    www.BigScoots.com - Experience the Difference, Ride With Us
    Specializing in VPS and Shared Hosting | Free Server Migrations
    Fully Managed | RAID10 Dual Quad Core Systems
    REAL 24/7/365 US Based Support | 99.9% Uptime Guarantee

I would have a look at knownhost, futurehosting or clubuptime. Clubuptimes largest plan offers 80gb of space and they are a great host. I am sure most providers (Probably the smaller providers over the larger ones) will provide you with a custom plan or quote.

Quote Originally Posted by techjr View Post
    I would have a look at knownhost, futurehosting or clubuptime. Clubuptimes largest plan offers 80gb of space and they are a great host. I am sure most providers (Probably the smaller providers over the larger ones) will provide you with a custom plan or quote.
    Our largest published plan offers only 80gb disk space, but we do provide custom quotes. We have many clients using a LOT of disk space. But generally, when you need 250gb+, we recommend a dedicated box.
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Used to be a full time server administrator, now I help build cruise ships and inspect homes.
    My company, Ferrell Solutions, specializes in home inspections and property management.
    RecallScan is a service for monitoring appliances and vehicles in your home for recalls.

Quote Originally Posted by techjr View Post
    I also thought that most hosters could provide me with a custom plan, but I couldn't find any. They all said I had to go to dedicated to get a custom plan, which bumped the price and eventually they spoke about 200 - 250 a month, which is just too much money.

I would advise against GoDaddy personally based on previous experience with them. They have great support but their services are very bogged down.

Many providers can offer custom packages but that much disk space really isn't that out of the ordinary. You should be able to find a very fitting package, even managed at that price. Take a quick hop over to the VPS hosting advertising forums and see if you can find anything that your looking for.

There are many reputable providers on WHT, anyone who gives just one company name simply haven't been exposed to enough
    I will have a look on the advertising forums, but I think most hosters are good but not good for everybody, e.g. Everybody I hear praise mediatemple for their excellent support etc. Well, I found it really terrible. So it's besides the experience also a 'coming together of circumstances' (who's the support agent, they placed you on which server etc)

Well I'm sorry you had poor experience based on recommendations in the past but generally they will lead you to a good host. WHT is a good place for reviews but as mentioned above, not trying to plug anything here but maybe its a smaller host your looking for. Personal support, custom quotes and quality service are all synonymous with smaller quality hosts generally.

Quote Originally Posted by BigScoots View Post
    Well I'm sorry you had poor experience based on recommendations in the past but generally they will lead you to a good host. WHT is a good place for reviews but as mentioned above, not trying to plug anything here but maybe its a smaller host your looking for. Personal support, custom quotes and quality service are all synonymous with smaller quality hosts generally.
    Maybe I am, but a bigger company means most of the time faster support.
    At this point I am really interested in knownhost.com en in servint.com,

I also looked at clubuptime.com but when I see that their client portal is using a envato themeforest 15$ template, I gives me 2nd thoughts. It might be a wrong thought but still..

But I emailed them both and I am curious what they will reply.

Knownhost has a great name for itself, but I wouldn't say bigger company means faster support. Most of the time I might even suggest the opposite. Just depends on the company. Check out a few smaller ones before you make your decision, though I think you'll be happy with knownhost.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DominickJ View Post
    Maybe I am, but a bigger company means most of the time faster support.
    At this point I am really interested in knownhost.com en in servint.com,

I also looked at clubuptime.com but when I see that their client portal is using a envato themeforest 15$ template, I gives me 2nd thoughts. It might be a wrong thought but still..

But I emailed them both and I am curious what they will reply.
    We're not designers, we're software developers
    Used to be a full time server administrator, now I help build cruise ships and inspect homes.
    My company, Ferrell Solutions, specializes in home inspections and property management.
    RecallScan is a service for monitoring appliances and vehicles in your home for recalls.

Maybe this is also the right place to ask,
    Comparing all these vps site's, some of them speak of 100mbs speed,
    But I talked to mediatemple about this when I decided to go with them (a while back) and they said they speed was 'open' so I would get the speed my router could handle.

Can anyone explain to me what a right speed is?
    Is 100mbs ok?

Depends who you share your port with. Most hosts use 100mbps for their VPS servers, however depending who your sharing it with you might be bogged down. Again, with any reputable host you should not run into port speed walls but 100mbps is fine in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt R View Post
    We're not designers, we're software developers

Ok, got me there. So I understand you're with club uptime, what can you offer me (I also send an email out to the general sales email)

Quote Originally Posted by DominickJ View Post
    Ok, got me there. So I understand you're with club uptime, what can you offer me (I also send an email out to the general sales email)
    Unfortunately, we can't provide you with offers here as per WHT Forum Rules. If you contacted our Sales department, they'll definitely get back to you shortly.

Sorry, didn't know that. Just replied.

Check the offers forum, you can get some good deals there. You should be able to very easily find a service based upon your budget. I wouldn't recommend godaddy, but it's your choice. I have a good experience with Hostv before.
    VPSforMe.com - OpenVZ Virtualization with SolusVM Control Panel on High Quality Servers.
    VPSforMe.com - Inexpensive VPSs with great features.
    VPSforMe.com - 24/7 Ticket Support with FAST Replies
    VPSforMe.com - CEO Jackson H - Jackson@vpsforme.com

I'm with Linode, and they've been great so far, but I haven't been with them long. The offers section here is really the bottom of the barrel, so is godaddy (from what I've heard).

Quote Originally Posted by Question Everything View Post
    I'm with Linode, and they've been great so far, but I haven't been with them long. The offers section here is really the bottom of the barrel, so is godaddy (from what I've heard).
    Linode is a damn good company. That I can definitely say. You won't be disappointed with them.

If you look at the uptime records of our "ns1" DNS server on our server status page, that's a real-time (by the minute, at least) capture of the uptime on a Linode VPS that carries some of our DNS services. Our Nagios server is with them as well, but it's only been online for that amount of time as that's when we decided to move it from Softlayer to Linode to help keep it on a separate network.

We love Linode. No doubt they're amazing.

I've used Linode in the past and consider them sort of the gold standard for unmanaged Xen VMs. They would meet your minimum disk space requirements within your budget, so they'd be one to check out.

There are newer services with more hard disk space for less money, as well. A few that I use that you could check out as well: Kazila, eNSCloud, Lightwave.

I narrowed it down to the following, but am not 100% sure what to do, cause I decided a managed solution is best for me but some have huge price differences between unmanaged and managed.

My selection:

- Clubtime VZ managed Level 4 : 50$
    (Ram:4 gb, Storage: 100gb, Bandwith: 1000 gb)
    + = Fast respond by email
    - = Respond by chat wasn't working well.
    ( - = their Wiki has 'Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties.'" )

- Knownhost VS 3 : 45$
    (Ram:1 gb, Storage: 60gb, Bandwith: 2500gb)
    + = According to pingdom, their website had the highest speed

- Servint Enterprise VPS Essential : 49$
    (Ram: 768 mb, Storage: 50gb, Bandwith: 1000gb)
    + = Their support was best of all and I hear their very reliable
    - = Their speed isn't best

- Futurehosting MANAGED TITANIUM VPS : 55$
    (Ram: 2gb, Storage: 75gb, Bandwith: 4000 gb)
    + = Their the first who created a custom quote
    - = Their chat is offline, even when they respond to emails.

Best = most space/most ram ;; most something
    Worst = smallest space ;; smallest something

If you were me, which one would you pick?
    I personally have this order in mind, but I do not know why exactly, I base my personal preferences on stupid little things so I do not know if I can trust that.
    Using pingdom I calculated the loading speed of their own personal homepage, and these were the results:

Homepage Site Speed:
    Clubtime: 133 kb/s
    knownhost: 60 kb/s
    Servint.net : 314 kb/s
    fuurehosting.com: 105 kb/s

Surprising right...

Hoping to hear your your preference, which hosting would you choose?

Hi,
    if it were me and I had narrowed it down to the four hosts you mentioned, I'd go with ServInt for sure. They are great. You won't be disappointed.

I would advise against using pingdom to measure website speed, or in fact actually I would advise against using website speed figures to determine anything.

Most web pages are pretty small (let's say 50-100KB); you won't get a good bandwidth figure out of that, and especially if you consider that of that 100KB it's actually made up of multiple smaller files. To do a proper bandwidth test you need some files of more significant size (probably 1MB is an absolute minimum).

Those figures that you've got there could just indicate that Servint.net is the site that has more large(r) files within their website homepage. Do you care about that when picking your host? I'd say probably not?

Also worth considering that pingdom results are not indicative of what your end users will experience accessing websites. Pingdom monitoring stations are located in datacenters, not end user ISP connections - so the network peering etc. is very different (might be good connection with the ISPs, but a poor connection with other datacenters).

Good luck with your search.
    UK, Chicago, & Singapore Fully Managed Plesk VPS
    UK, Arizona & Singapore Jelastic Java, PHP & Ruby PaaS

Comprehensive SLAs, backups, full SSD, rebootless kernel updates.
    Experienced managed hosting provider since 2001. True 24x7 Support & Server Management