Help - VPS Network Usage State

Hello,

Sorry for the "Help Me!" topic, but I'm pulling out hair here.

My site loads extremely slow, and it seems to be tied to the serverside php scripts on it.

I recently bought VPS hosting with MyHosting.com for a message board I own (yugiohforums.com) as well as my own projects. However, as soon as I got the message board set up, the entire site quickly lagged to the point that it was denying users access.

According to Plesk, container resources are:

CPU: 0.86%
    CPU Load Average: 0.06, 0.11, 0.15

Used Memory: 221.2 MB
    Free Memory: 1.8 GB
    Total Memory: 2.0 GB

Network Usage
    Class ID: 1 - Bandwidth 2393.55%

And that's the part that confuses me. I ordered 1.2 TB of bandwidth, so I don't think that's the problem. Plus pinging the server gives me a 0.96ms response.

I know it's not the scripts (or at least not directly) since we used to run them fine on a shared host with not even an eighth of the resources; so that leads me to 'think' it could possibly be the php.ini configuration, although honestly I don't know enough to be sure.

I'm new to server hosting, but am eager to learn, so any insight you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forums!

1. Is your VPS managed?
    2. I personally do not think it's your script. Your script isn't even using any of the resources. The 200MB that is used is probably from Plesk.

Ask your hosting company to check into the server. It is either over-loaded or there is an abuser.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

Thanks for the response!

Unfortunately I didn't purchase it managed; newbie mistake I suppose.

I've filed a support ticket, but that was over four hours ago. Hopefully you're right and that it's just the host; I've been going through and optimizing my config files for php / mysql just in-case.

It's a bit worrisome when my site can't even support 200 users/bots; something it handled easily when on a shared host.

EDIT:

So, just to confirm. The fact that Plesk is claiming my Network Traffic exceeds 3000% isn't an issue? I'm not sure where it's grabbing that value from.

Also, I should note, that through Plesk I've set up the message board with a single exclusive IP address, and that even though the site seems to lag the Plesk interface is still quick.
    Last edited by Crad; 04-04-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crad View Post
    Thanks for the response!

Unfortunately I didn't purchase it managed; newbie mistake I suppose.

I've filed a support ticket, but that was over four hours ago. Hopefully you're right and that it's just the host; I've been going through and optimizing my config files for php / mysql just in-case.

It's a bit worrisome when my site can't even support 200 users/bots; something it handled easily when on a shared host.

EDIT:

So, just to confirm. The fact that Plesk is claiming my Network Traffic exceeds 3000% isn't an issue? I'm not sure where it's grabbing that value from.

Also, I should note, that through Plesk I've set up the message board with a single exclusive IP address, and that even though the site seems to lag the Plesk interface is still quick.
    I forgot to mention that in my earlier post. You better contact them about that also. Because if you go above your bandwidth limit for any reason you can be charged large amounts of money.

- Daniel
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

Yeah, that's definitely distressing... hilariously, the site's only been up for six hours, and according to other (more detailed) stats, we've only used up about 400 megs of bandwidth so far (when I ordered 1.2 TB).

Quote Originally Posted by Crad View Post
    Yeah, that's definitely distressing... hilariously, the site's only been up for six hours, and according to other (more detailed) stats, we've only used up about 400 megs of bandwidth so far (when I ordered 1.2 TB).
    Is this a new website? No existing traffic? What type of content is on it now?

- Daniel

We just brought it over from a shared host (who suspended out account, as our traffic outgrew shared hosting).

So it's a fresh server, purchased less than a week ago.

Content is a message board running vBulletin software. We had over a 2.3 GB database to transfer, so that was a blast

I had hoped to also run my portfolio on it and use it as a testing grounds for any server applications I make (I'm a junior programmer), but first I need to make sure the message board is up.

That's interesting.

I would contact your hosting provider as Daniel stated earlier. I'm sure they can give you an explanation even though you ordered an unmanaged machine.

Thanks for helping out / put my mind at ease everyone!

It turns out it was something in my apache configuration; one of their support guys finally picked up my support ticket (after 7 hours), did some wizardry, and huzzuh.

I still have a lot to learn, so I might add this to my list of forums I lurk / frequent.