help me grasp vps / nameservers / kloxo please

I'm frustrated and certain I'm missing something simple. Can you help me get started?

I got a VPS for the first time and I'm going to use it to host my own controlled (but independent) sites.

So I started with a blank canvas of CentOS 5 32 bit and I successfully installed Kloxo. Now I'm lost I think my confusion is around nameservers.

let's say my "main" domain is
    So then my nameservers are going to be and and all the "client" domains on my VPS will use those nameservers. I've got those nameservers setup at the registrar. But what nameservers do I actually USE for the domain I tried and but then when I use a tool like intoDNS I get a whole mess of errors stating the nameservers aren't responding.

Anyway, I'm just not sure how to set up the "main" domain, and its related NS info (both on the VPS and at the registrar). I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

What you have now is, anyone looking up need to ask the DNS server at But then no one knows

You need another DNS name for your DNS server, perhaps some free second-level domain name like that points to your nameserver ip (xxx,yyy just example). Then you put that external domain name as your domain name server in your registrar.

Or alternatively use free DNS service like or and you can save the trouble setting up a DNS server. Your provider may also provide one for free. Especially when you only have 1 server/VPS, if the server/VPS goes down, the DNS goes too.

San Francisco
    You do use ns1/ as nameservers for Try restarting bind. For some reason, Kloxo doesn't start it after install.

service named restart

Ahhh! Restarting bind worked. Thanks!!

Now I have another warning I've never seen:

Recursive Queries I could use the nameservers listed below to performe recursive queries. It may be that I am wrong but the chances of that are low. You should not have nameservers that allow recursive queries as this will allow almost anyone to use your nameservers and can cause problems. Problem record(s) are:
    I'll read up, but if you happen to know that off hand...

San Francisco

PHP Code:
    options {  
    recursion no;  
    to /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf and restart named.

Cool. I just found that, but when I looked in that file I see:

include "/etc/kloxo.named.conf";
    which led me to believe (erroneously?) that I could make the adjustment from within Kloxo? Maybe not. I've looked around for 5 minutes and found nothing yet.

- Steven

ps. its not that I'm scared of using command line input... but I'd rather do as much config as I can from within me, that's sort of the point of having it.

Switch from Bind to djbdns and it will be fixed

You should use Glue DNS records for your ns1 and ns2 servers,
    Glue record is "A" record that points ns1 and ns2 to IP addresses respectivelly, so the domain zone can use the DNS servers of its own.
    For more details on Glue records, pelase refer to the following page:
    Affordable VPS Servers - Middle East
    High performance | Green technologies