Question Need some advice (currently on Liquidweb)

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice/help.

I'm currently on a dedicated server with Liquidweb. It hosts 7 sites...5 are very small and basic. The other 2 consist of a forum (vbulletin - over 1 million posts) and a content site (wordpress - 1000+ articles with an archive of over 10000 articles [other CMS])

The server went down this morning and the hosts have been trying to resolve this over the past 6 hours - mysql problem. We had a very very busy weekend right up until the downtime which I think caused this issue.

This is the package I've been on since 14th February 2007:

Price: $179 per month

Processor: Pentium 4 3GHZ DUAL CORE
    Memory: 2GB PC3200
    Hd1: 120GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache
    Hd2: 120GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache
    RemoteBackup: 50GB Remote Backup
    ControlPanel: CPanel / Web Host Manager
    (+InitAdmin)
    (+Fantastico/XController)

I really need something that is going to be able to handle more traffic - can anyone give me advice/recommendations for what I should be looking for?

I've got no idea when it comes to hosting, I need full support as I can't do any server updates etc

I noticed the Smart servers advertised on Liquidweb - would they help?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would recommend Cloud.

But, if you sunk on dedicated server, perhaps something from RackSpace. In my eyes, RackSpace provide slightly more powerful servers but I may be mistaken as I have not looked at Liquids and Rack's servers to compare for a while.
    Garbott Ltd - Professional web development & consultancy services
    Oxford.Hosting - Prestigious shared, cloud, dedicated and gaming hosting solutions.

Silverking,

My first advice is to let liquidweb fix the problem and have some good discussions with them to find out what actually went on. Moving may or may not solve the problem.

Once you've found the real problem you may want to give them a chance to show that the problem is resolved. If you then decide to move contact a few companies and discuss what you need and also the problems you've had.

You may want to contact to liquidweb, they will probably been able to provide you a better hardware for that money and they are going to make the move too.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Silverking View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking for some advice/help.

I'm currently on a dedicated server with Liquidweb. It hosts 7 sites...5 are very small and basic. The other 2 consist of a forum (vbulletin - over 1 million posts) and a content site (wordpress - 1000+ articles with an archive of over 10000 articles [other CMS])

The server went down this morning and the hosts have been trying to resolve this over the past 6 hours - mysql problem. We had a very very busy weekend right up until the downtime which I think caused this issue.

This is the package I've been on since 14th February 2007:

Price: $179 per month

Processor: Pentium 4 3GHZ DUAL CORE
    Memory: 2GB PC3200
    Hd1: 120GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache
    Hd2: 120GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache
    RemoteBackup: 50GB Remote Backup
    ControlPanel: CPanel / Web Host Manager
    (+InitAdmin)
    (+Fantastico/XController)

I really need something that is going to be able to handle more traffic - can anyone give me advice/recommendations for what I should be looking for?

I've got no idea when it comes to hosting, I need full support as I can't do any server updates etc

I noticed the Smart servers advertised on Liquidweb - would they help?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Hi there,

PHPBB can be quite a resource hog, but not necessarily. Depending on whether or not you're using caching for the WordPress site, it could also be the problem. Can I have a ticket or account number so that I may investigate?

Thanks!
    Benny Crampton
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand

It a vbulletin forum Benny, Help Desk Ticket # 2671190.

Sites are still not showing up correctly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverking View Post
    It a vbulletin forum Benny, Help Desk Ticket # 2671190.

Sites are still not showing up correctly.

Thanks
    Sorry about that. Someone read your post's VB as phpBB. I'm looking into the ticket now.
    Benny Crampton
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand

I would stay with liquidweb and wait to see what the issue was that happened.
    Also, the set up your running... needs to change.

If you are running that much content, you should be using some sort of raid config to keep things safe(r).
    Even the system backup could cause the issue if your not using incremental backups with that much data, and the server being busy.

I have had all of our servers with liquidweb for years, after being in 4 or 5 other data centers. I have no plan to move again. They have top notch techs and their restore team is superb. You just can't buy that kind of server support anywhere else.

Find the problem, and talk to your sales rep and the server tech to find out what they suggest. You should definitely be looking into a raid set up though, so you have better data protection in case of a drive failure.

good luck with your server,

Tim L
    Superior Host LLC - Quality Web Hosting since 1998
    We really do support you like no other
    Secure, ultra reliable hosting
    Website Maintenace Plans and a Personal Level of Support

Yeah, I wouldn't run from LiquidWeb. We had a bunch of servers with them before we went colo and were always happy with their support. They will likely be able to give you the best advise, based on your exact usage of your current server.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

Not used them, but liquidweb have a good rep and it looks like they're looking into it for you (which for $179/month is great). Wordpress and forums are a real resource hog, as mentioned above, WP-SUPERCACHE can make a world of difference. Also if you end up moving, look into a SSD (great for WP/forums with low bandwidth usage but high IO).
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

I spoke to one of their sales people and they just linked me to one their dedicated plans with some options to pick.

There is the below option...but it is $354 a month, almost $200 more a month than now.

Dual Xeon E5504 Quad Core (Gainstown)
    4GB DDR3 SDRAM
    2 x SATA RAID 1 [500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive]
    Single SSD Drive [32GB Intel X25-E Extreme (SLC)
    SATA Backup Drive [500 GB SATA (7200 rpm)
    Linux OS 5 64bit
    cPanel/ Web Host Manager - Fully Managed
    10000GB Monthly Transfer (5000 in + 5000out)

I asked the following...didn't know what his reply meant, he closed the chat session before I could ask...
    Silverking: Would you recommend the solid state drives option? Since I seem to be having issues with the databases - forum/wordpress?

liquidwebBret: SAS/SCSI

liquidwebBret: solid state is good too

liquidwebBret: but not cost effective

Chat session has ended.
    I was thinking what if I moved the content site to a VPS...that way it would be cheaper, I wouldn't have to worry about both sites being down (hopefully) and it should reduce pressure on both.

Looking at the VPS plans on LW, there is this one:

100 GB RAID protected storage
    1024MB dedicated RAM
    1400GB Monthly Transfer
    Linux - CentOS 4
    cPanel/ Web Host Manager - Fully Managed

$120/month

Anyone have any thoughts if this is a good idea?

The content site currently gets almost 100,000 uniques a month and 200,000 pageviews.

My forums are still down...so not sure how quickly I'll be able to move anything over yet.

You'll run short of RAM.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

You can get a SSD server with 20GB+ RAM for under $200, not with management though. Don't go with a VPS.
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff

I'll need a managed solution. Thoughts on this dedicated server? Seems similar to my current one:

Intel i5-750 Quad Core Featuring Up to 3.2GHZ TurboBoost technology!
    2GB DDR SDRAM
    SATA Drive (7,200 rpm)
    SATA Backup Drive [500 GB SATA (7200 rpm)
    Linux OS 5 64bit
    6000GB Monthly Transfer (3000 in + 3000 out)

$209/month

It will end up meaning I have a monthly bill of $388...but the two main sites will be split meaning hopefully they both won't be down together.

I may also try and hire someone to optimise the current server for the vbulletin.

You want to get off a single SATA and onto RAID10, or an SSD.