Converting to Cloud based VPS

Hey WHT community, I have been searching and reading alot from here and it has very helpful. I am starting a small VPS hosting company. I think we are going to use Virtualizor and WHMCS. I have ordered our 1st server from Dell a D510 and it will be racked at a local ISP, they get their internet from TW Telecom.

Servers Specs:
    PE R510 with up to 12 Hot Swap HDDs and 2 Cabled Hard Drives,LED
    16GB Memory (2x8GB), 1333MHz Dual Rank LV RDIMMs 2 Processors, Optimized
    2x Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz, 12M Cache, 5.86 GT/s QPI, 6C
    Broadcom 5709 Dual Port 1GbE NIC w/TOE PCIe-4
    750 Watt Redundant Power Supply
    2x 146GB 10K RPM SA SCSI 6Gbps 2.5in FlexBay Hard Drive
    5x 2TB Drvies

Originally we wanted to provide regular VPS and shared Web Hosting, after a couple months of research it looks like going to some sort of cloud VPS would fit better into our strategy. My question would be I guess can I set up just 1 server as a cloud(Hypervisor, Control Panel, Storage) instead of 3+ servers at first then scale our from there?
    To 1 Control Panel server, multiple Hypervisor servers and a redundant SAN.

Also I have not ran across any Control Panels for managing a cloud VPS infrastructure, something like Virtualizor or SolusVM that will integrate in with WHMCS or HostBill.

Thanks in advanced!

It looks like my options would be AppLogic or OnAPP. Since OnAPP requires SAN, can I start with AppLogic with only 1 server?

You can do an Onapp installation without a san. Also look at cloud.com
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    You can do an Onapp installation without a san. Also look at cloud.com
    I know OnAPP requires 3 physical servers to start even without SAN, I am wondering if I can use APPLogic with just 1 physical server to start.....
    Last edited by Gibby13; 04-04-2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Spelling

Yeah I guess technically you could start with 1 server for AppLogic, but CA is not going to license you just 1. You'll need to go to an AppLogic based service provider directly and try to work out a deal with them, if anyone is even willing to do that.

Normally just 1 server is used for development purposes but not a production environment as there is no redundancy or high availability.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudWeb View Post
    Yeah I guess technically you could start with 1 server for AppLogic, but CA is not going to license you just 1. You'll need to go to an AppLogic based service provider directly and try to work out a deal with them, if anyone is even willing to do that.

Normally just 1 server is used for development purposes but not a production environment as there is no redundancy or high availability.
    How about if I purchase 2 licenses? I plan on adding the 2nd server within a couple months.

You would need to talk to a provider directly still. I think the minimum commit is somewhere around 8 servers last I heard, and we're a CA partner.

I submitted an inquiry to AppLogic, I guess I will wait to here back from them.

Yeah let us know what you find out. I'm curious as to whether or not they have reduced that level to buy in to the platform. Things are always changing, and they don't always notify us.

So I was able to get a quote for 1 license, about double the price we were looking at. We are looking at ways to try to modify our budget to purchase this licence ASAP. Anyone know if any of the resellers do monthly billing for the license?

If you host with them, yes

Well the requirements of a "cloud server" entail a few things. You can use a bundled app which is probably highly integrated (read: not flexible) or roll your own which would probably give you a competitive advantage. On rolling your own.
    1. High availability - KVM with sheepdog is currently the only real working solution
    2. Failover / Loadbalancing - This is where things get ugly, most providers do reset-all-flows-on-failure which imo isn't failover or use DNS hacks to achieve failover again bad. There are ways to make this work but it's much more than I want to type.
    3. Scheduling - Different 'containers' will require different resources and should be dynamically managed according to usage (I don't know of any projects that do this).

Gibby,

You should contact some Applogic providers because they'll probably get a better volume license than you would going direct.

As Cloudweb has said the hardware would have to be colocated or bought via the provider.

Yeah I am going to a provider. I didn't realize it was per socket. So I need 2 licenses upfront anyways. I got a quote for $1,600 per license, 1 time fee. I thought it was monthly at first. So $3,200 to get my current setup over to AppLogic I don't think is to bad. Just have to budget it in now since we were only looking at SolusVM and WHMCS at first....

Quote Originally Posted by arisythila View Post
    It's a pretty good platform. Did you talk to Justin down there?
    No, they forwarded me to 1 of their partners.

Nice! I've met a quiet a few of the partners, Most of them are good people. Pretty small community. If you need help getting off the ground, and getting things setup please let me know. I've helped quite a few people get their Grids off the ground.

Thanks,