bandwidth billing?

can anyone help me understand this:

100Mbps DEDICATED bandwidth $119/mo. no setup.
    Overage rate (if applicable) is $10/Mbps on 95th percentile.

-- If my bandwidth usage per month does not go higher than 100Mbps, I'll be paying $119?
    -- If I'm using 101Mbps, I'll be paying $119 + $10?
    -- How high am I allowed to burst?
    -- With 8640 samples a month, if 432 samples(5%) was at 1Gbps and the 433th sample was 1Gbps and the rest of the sample is at 1Mbps,
    Does that mean I'll be paying $119 + $9000 ??

- If my bandwidth usage per month does not go higher than 100Mbps, I'll be paying $119?

Indeed.

-- If I'm using 101Mbps, I'll be paying $119 + $10?

If you use 101 mbps 95% you pay $119 + $10

-- How high am I allowed to burst?

Most likely you can burst the full linespeed but the provider can answer that question better.

-- With 8640 samples a month, if 432 samples(5%) was at 1Gbps and the 433th sample was 1Gbps and the rest of the sample is at 1Mbps,

Exactly, you got it perfectly right.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by shinjikenny View Post
    can anyone help me understand this:

100Mbps DEDICATED bandwidth $119/mo. no setup.
    Overage rate (if applicable) is $10/Mbps on 95th percentile.

<SNIP>

You need to get the rules from the host you are using to be sure, including how sampling is accomplished. Generally, if you exceed 5% on 95% percentile billing you pay for the highest speed used at the rate set by the carrier. So $10x900, if you reach 1Gbps with more than 5% of the samples, with a 100Mbps 95th percentile billing rate. You normally would not use this type of billing unless you monitored your usage very carefully.
    Last edited by LeaseWeb; 04-04-2011 at 08:54 AM.

Most dedi providers have up to 1Gbps port upgrade.
    If they are offering a 1Gbps DEDICATED bandwidth, is 95th percentile still applicable to that?

And how much is the price difference for a 100Mbps total transfer and a 100Mbps at 95th percentile?

If they are offering a 1Gbps DEDICATED bandwidth, is 95th percentile still applicable to that?

And how much is the price difference for a 100Mbps total transfer and a 100Mbps at 95th percentile?
    Usually dedicated hosting provider charge (for overage) based on GB not on 95% rule, 95% is used for colocation. dedicated provider give 100Mbps unmetered on 100Mbps port speed for price $119, or they give high port speed like 1gbps and give 10-30TB total bandwidth transfer and then they charge (overage) for each addition GB (or may be TB)
    MicraHosting : Peer1 Los Angeles Data Center
    Colocation and Dedicated Hosting

Depends on the carrier and the billing offers they have. Basically there are 3 types of billing in widespread use in the hosting industry, though not all hosts offer all of them for all server configurations. To summarize the pros and cons of each billing method:

Bandwidth: Unmetered (Flat Fee)
    With a bandwidth flat fee, your server is connected to a network port with the maximum speed in megabits, preset to the agreed amount, for which you pay a fixed monthly fee, usually included in the server price. The advantage for customers is obvious: there is no limit to the bandwidth traffic. You do not have to worry about any sudden or unexpected bandwidth peaks. You cannot exceed the fixed speed or be charged a bandwidth coverage fee with this billing method, so you have maximum billing security with an unmetered flat rate port providing a guaranteed speed. You should be sure the speed you select meets your requirements, since the server will not be able to exceed the preset speed.

Bandwidth: 95th Percentile
    This burstable tariff gives you the flexibility to economically burst traffic to meet short term demands, without having to commit to this level of usage on a monthly basis, which you may seldom require. In this case. If your traffic goes up, so does the bandwidth provided, up to the maximum speed of the dedicated port, which was provisioned for you. With 95th percentile billing, an international industry standard, bases your bill on peak utilization. Your host continuously measures your bandwidth usage in real-time (every five minutes) and invoices any overage at the end of the month. However, the top 5% of the bandwidth speed samples are ignored and will not be billed. So you can have short bandwidth bursts of up to 36 hours per month (on average) without surcharges. You can follow your 95th percentile status on many bandwidth charts as the red horizontal line marked 95th percentile. Billing overage is computed by the number of Mbps you exceed your commit amount for the month, which will be a speed in Mbps.

Traffic Billing
    Traffic Billing is very straightforward and the most common method in use at most hosts: you simply pay for each GB of data transfer to and from your server, which exceeds the fixed bandwidth amount included in the monthly server charge. Any bandwidth used above the contracted amount is billed at the end of the month on a per GB basis.
    Last edited by LeaseWeb; 04-04-2011 at 09:28 AM.

In terms of cost,
    is it a good idea to choose a dedicated server with 100Mbps @ 95th percentile then capping the server to 100Mbps, letting it burst if needed but avoiding the overage charge?

or a unmetered 100Mbps or 30TB total transfer would be cheaper?

If 100Mbps @ 95%, 100Mbps and 30TB cost the same price:

30TB would allow you to burst over 100Mbps very frequently, like around 200Mbps for half the month and nothing for the rest. Note that in many cases inbound is also counted so if you're running a proxy for example your 30T would be used up in 15T in and 15T out.

95% you just have to be careful with the average. As Leaseweb said you normally have 36 hours of burst available so there should be amble time for you to "do something about it" when you're getting unexpected traffic. You also have to check if the 95% is inbound+outbound or highest of the two or any other arrangement.

100Mbps unmetered you would only get 100Mbps at most. Most of the time it is full duplex so you can get 100Mbps in and 100Mbps out at the same time. You might be better off getting 95% and cap it to 100Mbps, and uncap it yourself when you really need it.

This depends on what your traffic pattern is and pick the right billing method
    Last edited by arthurleung; 04-04-2011 at 12:52 PM.

ok I understand now. thanks