Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Visbits View Post
    Dell components are tested together to make sure they are stable
    I bet you never had an office full of Dell Optiplex GX270 workstations?
    I think you never experienced the drama with battery recall on Dell laptops?
    Or OS that does support everything *(HP, Supermicro, IBM) *but not* the Dell Raid controllers/videocards/DVD rom stations
    I do not say that Dell servers are bad, but they are definately not better then HP/IBM/Supermicro/Fujitsu servers.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

We have had the best experience with dell we use quad servers

Quote Originally Posted by digiboyz View Post
    We have had the best experience with dell we use quad servers
    What model of Dell you used? do you use the DRAC enterprise function? with what Supermicro chassis and mainboard models do you have experience and on what points did they perform less then the above mentioned Dell servers?
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    What model of Dell you used? do you use the DRAC enterprise function? with what Supermicro chassis and mainboard models do you have experience and on what points did they perform less then the above mentioned Dell servers?
    We use dell Quad Core servers, yes we use DRAC
    We haven't really used anything else other than Dell as it has proved to be most reliable

Quote Originally Posted by digiboyz View Post
    We use dell Quad Core servers, yes we use DRAC
    We haven't really used anything else other than Dell as it has proved to be most reliable
    It does mean you cannot compare then, since you have no experience with Supermicro servers.
    Your original reply gives the idea that you used both and that Dell was the better server, while in fact you have no experience with Supermicro. In my opinion, you should be careful how you phrase your reply in a X vs Y thread.

many many veteran Dell fans on these forums mentioned before that you don't buy fully loaded Dell servers, you buy Dell servers with "stripped" or minimal spec so that you can source your own "generic" components, such as HDD/RAM/RAID card, then you won't get screwed big time by Dell's components/upgrades prices?

if so, how is that so different than buying a supermicro superserver barebone except CPU may be? Intel doesn't make a different CPU when OEM version is supplied to Dell.

Dell severs are often "over-engineered", which doesn't necessarily means "better engineered", and that leads to high degree of proprietary nature, difficult to locate replacement parts, tougher to do service works, and often consumes more power as well. superservers may not be as "fleshy" as Dell servers, but often they are 'engineered" just right to be reliably deployed as production servers.

the premium "4-hour" service is nice, but it only guarantees 4-hour to "respond", not 4-hour to 100% repair/replace. very often, "4 hours" is an eternity when a production server goes down, you would rather keep your own spare parts (or whole spare barebone) on site and get your server back on line much less than 4 hours!
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

I bet you never had an office full of Dell Optiplex GX270 workstations?
    I think you never experienced the drama with battery recall on Dell laptops?
    Or OS that does support everything *(HP, Supermicro, IBM) *but not* the Dell Raid controllers/videocards/DVD rom stations
    I do not say that Dell servers are bad, but they are definately not better then HP/IBM/Supermicro/Fujitsu servers.
    WOW DID YOU REALLY??

Oh that's right, your one of them companys who use desktops as a *SERVER*...

We have over 600 dell R series servers, none of which have had a single problem. Fujitsu servers are garbage, same with suckmicro.
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!

if you need high end like 55XX or 56XX then go with Dell
    MicraHosting : Peer1 Los Angeles Data Center
    Colocation and Dedicated Hosting

WOW DID YOU REALLY??
    Oh that's right, your one of them companys who use desktops as a *SERVER*...
    I clearly mentioned we used the Dell workstations in our office environment. Could you show were i said above that we used them as servers?

We have over 600 dell R series servers, none of which have had a single problem. Fujitsu servers are garbage, same with suckmicro.
    How many Fujitsu servers and how many Supermicro servers did you use? what mainboard, what chassis?
    What models do you exactly compare against each other?
    Currently i have seen 0 (zero) arguments from you why Dell would be better then -name a brand here-
    Last edited by swiftnoc; 04-04-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Try running some equipment other than suckmicro in your environment, you will quickly find out.

There is a good reason theplanet and rackspace build out entire DC with dell and NOT SM or HP.

Try running some equipment other than suckmicro in your environment, you will quickly find out.
    There is a good reason theplanet and rackspace build out entire DC with dell and NOT SM or HP.
    Do you care to elaborate? since Softlayer uses only Supermicro servers and they recently acquired thePlanet.
    Besides, we have hundreds of Dell servers in production, we have first hand experience with Dell, Supermicro, HP and IBM servers and can actually compare them against each-other.
    Problem is, that you seem to have no idea what you talk about, but still participate in this thread without bringing true arguments to the table. If you only have experience with Dell servers, then you can certainly list the virtues of Dell servers, but i feel that you should not state that they are better then -Brand X - if you do not have first hand experience.
    Last edited by swiftnoc; 04-04-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Alright, I've read the whole thread and here is my opinion along with a question that I had for a long long time!!

I personally never THINK of dell, I had experience with them (laptop/desktop/servers) and generally won't hold myself to a name, pay more and get less, just because of a NAME!

Supermicro is my and our customers primary choice, we have years of experience with supermicro servers, we actually have a server with 340+ days uptime, no restart while a dell server in same situation had to be restarted due to a firmware upgrade that we never applied ... I'm still wondering why it happened ?!

My question here, from dell fans generally, some body please explain it for me, how come dell offer a triple channel server on dual 5500/5600 series CPU with dual channel memory configuration like 64GB instead of 48 or 72GB ram ?!

I -unfortunately- bought one for our customer with that configuration and watched the CPU burning the hell out of itself by maxing out 100% usage/frequency nonstop and I'm counting seconds to see this server fails unfaithfully!

Go for supermicro, don't pay more, don't cross your fingers, don't do DELL!

- Aria

SuperMicro. We have deployed both in the past, and the build quality of the SuperMicro motherboards and chassis are superior to Dell. I have also had a lot fewer RMAs with SuperMicro than with dell.
    Brent Presley - brent@innoscale.net
    Innovative Scaling Technologies Inc. - Enterprise Cloud Hosting and Support
    24/7 Dedicated Support, Call us @ 1-888-722-8515
    www.innoscale.net - Ashburn - Dallas - Seattle - Santa Clara - Chicago - Amsterdam

Hi,

can i use supermicro IMPI to monitor/check the HD health/status and raid health status?

thanx

My company has both Dell and SM servers in production, and I haven't had problems with either.. That being said, we deploy more SuperMicro than dell for 3 reasons:

1) Deployment speed tends to be much faster. I can get SM servers built from a vendor (or even newegg) quicker than I can get a dell server configured + shipped.
    2) Greater flexibility for the build out in a shorter time frame. More build options (RAID controlers, etc)
    3) Spare parts are cheaper, and easier to stock. I've had at least a couple problems dealing with the Dell parts department trying to get parts in a timely manner. In Dells defense I was trying to order some hard to find parts so that's not entirely their fault.

That all being said, I don't have the onsite warranty on my dell servers, so I can't speak for their 4 hour response time since I have a tech in or 10 minutes away from our locations at any given time (plus extra servers racked and ready to go).. If I had servers more than 4 hours away, the Dell 4 hour response would probably be a very attractive option since It would be quicker and cheaper in the end if something were to break.

Both options are great, but like others have said: SuperMicro with very high quality / custom components is the way to go as far as I am concerned

HP

Dell is good, but expensive.
    Supermicro is cheap, but harder to get (especially in europe).

We have all 3 in our Environment, and al work very good - so the price decides, which comes out at SM and HP, far before Dell.

Quote Originally Posted by EDIS View Post
    HP

Dell is good, but expensive.
    Supermicro is cheap, but harder to get (especially in europe).

We have all 3 in our Environment, and al work very good - so the price decides, which comes out at SM and HP, far before Dell.
    I used to use HP where I previously worked, up until a hard drive went on a server with 4 hour response. 2 days later my hard drive arrived... Went off them after that

We only use Dell. Never been disappointed.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

Quote Originally Posted by cwl@apaqdigital View Post
    many many veteran Dell fans on these forums mentioned before that you don't buy fully loaded Dell servers, you buy Dell servers with "stripped" or minimal spec so that you can source your own "generic" components, such as HDD/RAM/RAID card, then you won't get screwed big time by Dell's components/upgrades prices?
    I would not do that. Buy everything from Dell- the server, all the components for it and then some non-dell products too (e.g. Juniper) and negotiate an awesome deal on it all. You can't beat Dell pricing by buying components elsewhere, not to mention that you have to work for free then on sourcing and assembling components...

Quote Originally Posted by ASN - Aria View Post
    Go for supermicro, don't pay more, don't cross your fingers, don't do DELL!
    I agree, don't pay more, and for that reason buy Dell! You guys just don't get it- if you know what you are doing Dell is cheaper both initially and especially if you look at total cost of ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by DMDM View Post
    You can't beat Dell pricing by buying components elsewhere.
    1. You can beat Dell on Price
    2. You can beat Dell on Quality
    3. You can Dell on Warranty.
    Last edited by swiftnoc; 04-05-2011 at 08:57 PM.

Who has a Dell (or hundreds/thousands of Dells) that was able to swap the mainboards and CPU from a 2005/2006ish P4/Xeon to a X3450/E5620 while retaining the chassis, power supplies, and SATA hot swap backplanes?
    Last edited by FastServ; 04-05-2011 at 09:55 PM.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

I am so up in the air in the dell/sm debate.. I love them both. Dell's are *great* to scoop up on eBay for cheap as heck and then just switch warranty to yourself.. budget etc.. just less customizable.

SM is more money (but of course, new vs used).. but way more flexible.

If you are using a specific config of some kind, with maybe just different hdd/ram, dell is great for that.

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    Who has a Dell (or hundreds/thousands of Dells) that was able to swap the mainboards and CPU from a 2005/2006ish P4/Xeon to a X3450/E5620 while retaining the chassis, power supplies, and SATA hot swap backplanes?
    Case and point of SM being more flexible.
    AS395558

Quote Originally Posted by ttgt View Post
    Hi,

can i use supermicro IMPI to monitor/check the HD health/status and raid health status?

thanx
    No, That only works on OEM systems that don't suck. Your going to be stuck with the 3rd party raid controller software.

1. You can beat Dell on Price
    2. You can beat Dell on Quality
    3. You can Dell on Warranty.

YEAH BUT YA CANT BEAT DELL ON PRICE FOR THE QUALITY!

Ask Mike Denny, MDD. I quoted dell stuff to him cheaper than his SM vendor could even get it with a 3yr warranty.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast