* Anything like VPS.NET but better hosting provider?

Hi, everyone

Being over a year with VPS.NET, I really found that their fail-over control as advertised isn't quite real. I am sick of them now!! I have again expereinced their SAN problem on SLC-F cluster resulting terrible I/O on my VPS since a couple of days ago and now my VPS is completely offline can not be started. The more important thing is that I had the same problem happened to me just about a month ago, on the same cluster!! (Why didn't they fix the problem!)

OK, Back to my question, mainly I run an Asterisk servers as well as a MySQL server for my business. The traffic load isn't much but I need extreme uptime.

I learnt from VPS.NET last downtime, now I run OpenVZ on my VPS and backup the OpenVZ VE to an FTP location so this time I didn't lose much since I can start the OpenVZ VE in another place at no time.

Now I am looking from something like:

1) Cloud Hosting
    2) Allow Custom Kernel since I need to run OpenVZ
    3) Uptime guarantee (like 99.9% SLA currently VPS.NET doesn't offer SLA to unmanaged VPS even the SAN problem is surely theirs!)
    4) Easy to scale on system resrouces both upgrade and downgrade
    5) Price is similar as VPS.NET (I am paying a bit more than US$100 per month)
    6) Physical servers in US, prefer west coast.

I know everyone says VPS.NET was good but I am making up my mind to move now. Guys, any suggestions please?
    Last edited by ivor; 04-03-2011 at 10:16 PM.

I personally don't know of any good cloud providers any more, It seems everyone is having troubles. I was going to go with enscloud for a personal project and it seems they are even going under/run away host.

Would you consider switching from CloudHosting to OpenVZ + SolusVM hosting? or XEN?

It seems for your requirements you could go with a nice VPS (OpenVZ based) that would be perfect and maybe save you a few bucks if you go with a provider that will handle your needs.

Thanks
    Mark!
    FusionNET Solutions - US/UK Locations | Adult/IRC Allowed! | DDoS Protected Networks!
    Fusion Powered: Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Dedicated Servers | Native IPv6 Available!
    202-505-HOST | LiteSpeed Support! | Live Web Chat!

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Mark View Post

It seems for your requirements you could go with a nice VPS (OpenVZ based) that would be perfect and maybe save you a few bucks if you go with a provider that will handle your needs.
    OpenVZ doesn't support custom kernels though.

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Mark View Post
    I personally don't know of any good cloud providers any more, It seems everyone is having troubles. I was going to go with enscloud for a personal project and it seems they are even going under/run away host.

Would you consider switching from CloudHosting to OpenVZ + SolusVM hosting? or XEN?

Thanks
    Mark!
    I still prefer Cloud hosting. What I think is just that VPS.NET SAN Storage isn't configured properly before it goes to production. (At least the cluster that my server is on)

XEN can be an option (I am thinking?) as long as allowing custom kernel since I wish to run OpenVZ over the VPS so whenever I'd wish to move or experience an extended downtime, it won't be difficult to deal with. Also I just think I'd better trust myself rather than anyone elses as backing up and restoring the OpenVZ VE is very easy.

Try taking a look at OnApp's official site. They have a variety of cloud providers listed there using the OnApp platform.

Quote Originally Posted by ivor View Post
    I still prefer Cloud hosting. What I think is just that VPS.NET SAN Storage isn't configured properly before it goes to production. (At least the cluster that my server is on)

XEN can be an option (I am thinking?) as long as allowing custom kernel since I wish to run OpenVZ over the VPS so whenever I'd wish to move or experience an extended downtime, it won't be difficult to deal with. Also I just think I'd better trust myself rather than anyone elses as backing up and restoring the OpenVZ VE is very easy.
    I believe you're located in our Salt Lake City location, where one of the clouds is experiencing extremely poor I/O throughput due to a re-sync going on between the two SANs. If you're still interested in maintaining a relationship with VPS.NET (and I hope you are), I would be glad to schedule a time where we could move you to one of our other locations. If there's anything we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us at mgmt(at)vps.net.

Quote Originally Posted by ivor View Post
    Hi, everyone

Being over a year with VPS.NET, I really found that their fail-over control as advertised isn't quite real. I am sick of them now!! I have again expereinced their SAN problem on SLC-F cluster resulting terrible I/O on my VPS since a couple of days ago and now my VPS is completely offline can not be started. The more important thing is that I had the same problem happened to me just about a month ago, on the same cluster!! (Why didn't they fix the problem!)

OK, Back to my question, mainly I run an Asterisk servers as well as a MySQL server for my business. The traffic load isn't much but I need extreme uptime.

I learnt from VPS.NET last downtime, now I run OpenVZ on my VPS and backup the OpenVZ VE to an FTP location so this time I didn't lose much since I can start the OpenVZ VE in another place at no time.

Now I am looking from something like:

1) Cloud Hosting
    2) Allow Custom Kernel since I need to run OpenVZ
    3) Uptime guarantee (like 99.9% SLA currently VPS.NET doesn't offer SLA to unmanaged VPS even the SAN problem is surely theirs!)
    4) Easy to scale on system resrouces both upgrade and downgrade
    5) Price is similar as VPS.NET (I am paying a bit more than US$100 per month)
    6) Physical servers in US, prefer west coast.

I know everyone says VPS.NET was good but I am making up my mind to move now. Guys, any suggestions please?
    I'm not sure if it fits your budget but I did find a provider earlier today.. http://www.birdhosting.com I have no experience with them, but they do offer scalable VPS cluster..

If you're planning to create VPSs you should really use a dedicated server rather than a VPS.

I can feel your pain. My VPS is also located in the SLC cloud and the server has been down from the past 80 hours. I was getting very poor performance earlier but the servers now are just dead. I am personally moving to SliceHost. You should take a look too. I know a couple blogs hosted with them and they vouched for SliceHost (the response time of the server is simply outstanding)

I'd think cloud based VPS still at the beginning stage.
    Not much good implementation in the market yet.

as for Asterisk and MySQL server, it is quite common setup. Perhaps you should look for openvz VPS where trixbox under centos is readily available.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

VPS inside a VPS? o-o;

First time I've heard of anyone trying that, lol.

I've heard of someone attempting VPS inside a VPS and then having a VPS inside there o.o needless to say, the performance was horrible...

These are the kind of VPS providers you should keep away from ^.^

Inception type VPS host?
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Allow Custom Kernel since I need to run OpenVZ
    imho, you can't do it with ovz environment
    please cmiiw always

Quote Originally Posted by Kusai View Post
    Inception type VPS host?
    I loved that film! Seriously, it's up there with my absolute favourites, should have made the connection!

Quote Originally Posted by craig joe View Post
    imho, you can't do it with ovz environment
    You read it wrong. He wants to deploy OVZ inside his VPS, not be hosted on OVZ.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Wintereise View Post
    You read it wrong. He wants to deploy OVZ inside his VPS, not be hosted on OVZ.
    Why not get a good XEN and a cheap OpenVZ for rsync backup ?
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 04-05-2011 at 05:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    OpenVZ doesn't support custom kernels though.
    It doesn't?

I asked my host if they could purchase and install KSplice to keep my kernels up to date, but the owner said they run custom kernels.

(My VPS is OpenVZ.)

Since you're looking for Cloud, you may wish to search for "Cloud Servers" as the term "VPS" is not used by many Cloud providers due to the connotations that come with it. Ie: non-redundant, limited scalability, migration periods, single points of failure, location dependent, etc.

That's a good question to ask about a custom kernel, and I would definitely suggest asking the host directly if they can support you with this. I am sure some can.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintereise View Post
    VPS inside a VPS? o-o;

First time I've heard of anyone trying that, lol.
    That's the best and easiest way to backup the whole server in my opinion. When downtime is extended, I can simply migrate the OpenVZ VE to anther location/server.

Quote Originally Posted by DylanP View Post
    It doesn't?

I asked my host if they could purchase and install KSplice to keep my kernels up to date, but the owner said they run custom kernels.

(My VPS is OpenVZ.)
    Sorry, should have been more clear. OpenVZ doesn't support custom kernels within VEs. Instead, every VE shares the same hostnode kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by HUGOBLUE View Post
    Why not get a good XEN and a cheap OpenVZ for rsync backup ?
    Yeah, I am taking this idea. Thanks for all your suggestions.

I am thinking to get 2 XEN VPS and install OVZ kernel on it. Then resync the Asterisk OpenVZ VE (eg. resync /vz/private/110 ..) on both XEN VPS for a HA setup. Then I will use DNS failover control service to see if brings me a cheap HA Asterisk.

My problem is that I wanted to avoid ANY downtime for my company phone system (since customer order, order tracking query etc coming through every a few minutes in peak hours as well as call recording needed at all times).

After trying a year with VPS.NET I found it quite hard. When it's down then it's down. Take this time as an example, the VPS.NET server seems down for about 2,3 days which would affect too much if I hadn't got my backup.

You should be looking for VPS companies that have been in the market for several years and that have great reputation.

It is not "normal" to have your VPS down for days.. Neither for hours.. Such evens (any downtime, even a few minutes) should be really rare.. That is, at least, our experience with reputable places (we have servers around since 2004).. On the other hand, we've tried some cheap ones and they really aren't ready for "production services".

Quote Originally Posted by DylanP View Post
    It doesn't?

(My VPS is OpenVZ.)
    KSplice supports Virtuozzo (and OpenVZ) ... go figure

OpenVZ uses a custom RHEL/CentOS kernel which might be what they mean, combined with a reluctance to get into that.
    UK, Chicago, & Singapore Fully Managed Plesk VPS
    UK, Arizona & Singapore Jelastic Java, PHP & Ruby PaaS

Comprehensive SLAs, backups, full SSD, rebootless kernel updates.
    Experienced managed hosting provider since 2001. True 24x7 Support & Server Management